Egypt falling?

ResearchMonkey

Yeah, I see the potential for IMMENSE DOOM I'm not seeing all unicorns and puppies over whats happening.

Fact is MB is not puppies and unicorns and I don't see any other emerging powers.

Like I said, I'm hoping that Egypt find a way to freedoms unseen in the middle east. The card however, are stacked against it.

catocom

the brohood might likely get one member in a parliament, and that's a foot
in the door, but I'm guessing they'll be like on probation.
I don't see it as a Big problem to start with.

As long as they don't reach high ranks in the army there.

The army is mostly the only difference I see between thrm, and the Iran situation.

I just heard Beck comparing, and I disagree that it's just like the same.
He said Iran started with the 'students' and this started with the 'students.
Not true on that account. The reports I hear are that there are no real schools.
That's why they come here to go to school.
In this Egypt uprising they keep saying, it ALL walks of life there...
(young, old, richer, poorer...)

I just don't see it being the same. Some similarities sure, but far from the same.
I'm hopful, but it is fluid. One day I'm a little more optimistic than others about it,
and I think there's going to eventually be a divide between the 'people'.
What happens at that time will start to show what will be.

Winky

Let the moosie brohood take over begin

my sputtering diminutive choad
33mrh9g.jpg

2minkey

bootlicker
The army is mostly the only difference I see between thrm, and the Iran situation.

I just heard Beck comparing, and I disagree that it's just like the same.
He said Iran started with the 'students' and this started with the 'students.
Not true on that account. The reports I hear are that there are no real schools.
That's why they come here to go to school.
In this Egypt uprising they keep saying, it ALL walks of life there...
(young, old, richer, poorer...)

I just don't see it being the same. Some similarities sure, but far from the same.
I'm hopful, but it is fluid. One day I'm a little more optimistic than others about it,
and I think there's going to eventually be a divide between the 'people'.
What happens at that time will start to show what will be.

apparently the air force is still loyal to mubarek. not sure what they could do though... bomb the neighborhoods?

catocom

apparently the air force is still loyal to mubarek. not sure what they could do though... bomb the neighborhoods?

yeah I think that is the real behind the scenes biggy.
I don't think Anybody knows how it's going to pan out between the military factions.

That may be the real reason Obama and admin don't want to really jump
in the middle of it too. Especially with some of those leaders still over here.
It'd be interesting to hear what they think.
Or have they gone back now? I haven't heard.

catocom

another possible bad development.
People started using cell to tweet, so now tomorrow they say
the cell service will be cut off also.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Re: yer right minks

also helps if you can discern between various types of fruit.

While you were shitting yous Pampers, I was watching Iranian students fight for a democratic government. The Shah was a bad guy after all. Marches, protests & Carter. The Iranian citizens won their democratic government. Ask Wantsajihad, he'll tell you it's true. he was there.

Everyday, this administration makes me wonder, what ever happened to Billy Beer?

2minkey

bootlicker

While you were shitting yous Pampers, I was watching Iranian students fight for a democratic government. The Shah was a bad guy after all. Marches, protests & Carter. The Iranian citizens won their democratic government. Ask Wantsajihad, he'll tell you it's true. he was there.

Everyday, this administration makes me wonder, what ever happened to Billy Beer?

first of all, i had cloth diapers.

billy beer? try ebay. pick up a fat elvis poster while you're there.

yes we're all quite aware of the revolution in iran. thanks for chugging one out but...

WOULD YA THINK OF THE GODDAMNED CHILDREN????

Sally+Struthers+Bambi+Jones+Tyler+Perry+Family+bB0tQ8RvVzbl.jpg

jimpeel

Haaretz: Without Egypt, Israel will be left with no friends in Mideast

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/without-egypt-israel-will-be-left-with-no-friends-in-mideast-1.339926

Without Egypt, Israel will be left with no friends in Mideast
Without Egypt's Mubarak and with relations with Turkey in shambles, Israel will be forced to court new potential allies.
By Aluf Benn

The fading power of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak's government leaves Israel in a state of strategic distress. Without Mubarak, Israel is left with almost no friends in the Middle East; last year, Israel saw its alliance with Turkey collapse.

From now on, it will be hard for Israel to trust an Egyptian government torn apart by internal strife. Israel's increasing isolation in the region, coupled with a weakening United States, will force the government to court new potential allies.

Israel's foreign policy has depended on regional alliances which have provided the country with strategic depth since the 1950s. The country's first partner was France, which at the time ruled over northern Africa and provided Israel with advanced weaponry and nuclear capabilities.

After Israel's war against Egypt in 1956, David Ben-Gurion attempted to establish alliances with non-Arab countries in the region, including Iran, Turkey and Ethiopia. The Shah of Iran became a significant ally of Israel, supplying the country with oil and money from weapons purchases. The countries' militaries and intelligence agencies worked on joint operations against Egyptian President Gamal Abdel Nasser's rule, which was seen as the main threat against Israel and pro-Western Arab governments.

Israel's next alliances were forged with Jordan's King Hussein and Morocco's King Hassan. These ties were operated in secret, as well as ties with leaders in Lebanon's Christian community. The late 1970s saw the fall of the Shah of Iran, with an anti-Israel Islamic republic created in his stead.

Around the same time, Egypt and Israel broke their cycle of conflict by signing a peace agreement. Egypt positioned itself on the side of Saudi Arabia, as head of the pro-American camp.

Mubarak inherited the peace agreement after President Anwar Sadat's assassination. Mubarak was cold in his public relations with Israel, refusing to visit the country except for Yitzhak Rabin's funeral, which decelerated normalization between the countries.

Relations between the Israel Defense Forces and the Egyptian army were conducted on a low level, with no joint exercises. Egyptian public opinion was openly hostile towards Israel and anti-Semitic terminology was common. Civil relations between the countries were carried out by a handful of government workers and businessmen.

Despite all of this, the "cold peace" with Egypt was the most important strategic alliance Israel had in the Middle East. The security provided by the alliance gave Israel the chance to concentrate its forces on the northern front and around the settlements. Starting in 1985, peace with Egypt allowed for Israel to cut its defense budget, which greatly benefited the economy.

Mubarak became president while Israel was governed by Menachim Begin, and has worked with eight different Israeli leaders since then. He had close relations with Yitzhak Rabin and Benjamin Netanyahu. In the last two years, despite a stagnation in peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians and worsening relations between Netanyahu and the Arab world, Mubarak has hosted the prime minister both in Cairo and in Sharm el-Sheikh.

The friendship between Mubarak and Netanyahu is based on a mutual fear over Iran's strengthening and the rising power of Islamists, as well as over the weakening and distancing of the U.S. government with Barack Obama at its head.

Now, with Mubarak struggling over the survival of his government, Israel is left with two strategic allies in the region: Jordan and the Palestinian Authority. These two allies promise to strengthen Israel's Eastern battlefront and are also working to stop terror attacks and slow down Hamas.

But Israel's relationship with these two allies is complicated. Joint security exercises are modest and the relationship between the leaders is poor. Jordan's King Abdullah refuses to meet Netanyahu, and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas is waging a diplomatic struggle against Israel's right-wing government. It's hard to tell how Jordan and the PA could fill the role that Egypt has played for Israel.

In this situation, Israel will be forced to seek out new allies. The natural candidates include Syria, which is striving to exploit Egypt's weakness to claim a place among the key nations in the region.

The images from Cairo and Tunisia surely send chills down the backs of Syrian President Bashar Assad and his cronies, despite the achievement they achieved with the new Hezbollah-backed Lebanon government. As long as the Arab world is flooded with waves of angry anti-government protests, Assad and Netanyahu will be left to safeguard the old order of the Middle East.

jimpeel

Haaretz: Israel urges world to curb criticism of Egypt's Mubarak

SOURCE

Israel urges world to curb criticism of Egypt's Mubarak
Jerusalem seeks to convince its allies that it is in the West's interest to maintain the stability of the Egyptian regime.
By Barak Ravid

Israel called on the United States and a number of European countries over the weekend to curb their criticism of President Hosni Mubarak to preserve stability in the region.

Jerusalem seeks to convince its allies that it is in the West's interest to maintain the stability of the Egyptian regime. The diplomatic measures came after statements in Western capitals implying that the United States and European Union supported Mubarak's ouster.

Israeli officials are keeping a low profile on the events in Egypt, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu even ordering cabinet members to avoid commenting publicly on the issue.

Senior Israeli officials, however, said that on Saturday night the Foreign Ministry issued a directive to around a dozen key embassies in the United States, Canada, China, Russia and several European countries. The ambassadors were told to stress to their host countries the importance of Egypt's stability. In a special cable, they were told to get this word out as soon as possible.

EU foreign ministers are to discuss the situation in Egypt at a special session today in Brussels, after which they are expected to issue a statement echoing those issued in recent days by U.S. President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Obama called on Mubarak to take "concrete steps" toward democratic reforms and to refrain from violence against peaceful protesters, sentiments echoed in a statement Saturday night by the leaders of Britain, France and Germany.

"The Americans and the Europeans are being pulled along by public opinion and aren't considering their genuine interests," one senior Israeli official said. "Even if they are critical of Mubarak they have to make their friends feel that they're not alone. Jordan and Saudi Arabia see the reactions in the West, how everyone is abandoning Mubarak, and this will have very serious implications."

Netanyahu announced at Sunday's weekly cabinet meeting that the security cabinet will convene Monday to discuss the situation in Egypt.

"The peace between Israel and Egypt has lasted for more than three decades and our objective is to ensure that these relations will continue to exist," Netanyahu told his ministers. "We are closely monitoring events in Egypt and the region and are making efforts to preserve its security and stability."

The Foreign Ministry has called on Israelis currently in Egypt to consider returning home and for those planning to visit the country to reconsider. It is telling Israelis who have decided to remain in Egypt to obey government directives.

catocom

that still doesn't look like any greater percentage though than it is right here.
Maybe not even as much. I don't really know. (see post about census)

2minkey

bootlicker

Wasn't somebody wanting to see burkas?

OH NOE WE ARE DOOMED!!!!

or wait no one knows what is going to happen.

because, you know, give 'em an inch...

better get the national guard out there to shoot those union, er, hippy, guys.

catocom

Well, Mubarak say he won't step down, he will finish his term, but not
run again.

I don't think those people are going to go for 8 more months.
I could be wrong, but I don't see it ending here.

2minkey

bootlicker
spontaneous cries for democracy arising through the middle east.

i guess george w's plan worked out!

do ya think they'll pay us back for what we spent over there?