Empty holster student protest this week

jimpeel

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,304806,00.html

Students Strap On Empty Holsters to Protest Gun Restrictions on CampusWednesday, October 24, 2007

By Melissa Underwood

0_61_102207_holster_empty.jpg

Ohio State University student Evan Peck, from
Strongsville, Ohio, wears an empty holster on his hip.

College students across the country have been strapping empty holsters around their waists this week to protest laws that prohibit concealed weapons on campus, citing concerns over campus shootings.

"People who would otherwise be able to defend themselves are left defenseless when on campus," said Ethan Bratt, a graduate student wearing an empty holster this week on the campus of Seattle Pacific University.

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, a group of college students, parents and citizens who organized after the deadly shootings at Virginia Tech University in April, launched the protest.

A national debate over gun laws on campus began in the wake of those shootings, in which a deranged student killed 32 people in a classroom building before committing suicide. It was the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.

Campuses are prime targets for people intent on harming others because laws prohibit concealed weapons there, Bratt said.

But others believe college is no place for firearms.

"You don't like the fact that you can't have a gun on your college campus? Drop out of school," said Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

When someone pulls out a gun and starts firing in a crowded environment, it's more likely that additional victims will be harmed, Hamm said.

"Let's be grateful that those holsters are empty," he said.

• Click here to visit the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus Web site.

• Click here to visit the Brady Center's Web site.

A group of 12 students chose to wear empty holsters to class this week at the University of Idaho as part of the nationwide protest.

Aled Baker, a junior, said he loses his constitutional right to protect himself and others when he steps on campus.

"It's null and void when you go on campus," the mechanical engineering student said.

Baker, a sportsman and hunter, has a license to carry a concealed handgun and hopes the protest will get people talking about the issue.

Many universities, like George Washington University, prohibit carrying concealed handguns on campuses.

"We do not allow weapons on campus for the safety and security of our student body and faculty," said Tracy Schario, spokeswoman for George Washington University in Washington, D.C.

Justin Turner, a senior in criminology and history at Florida State University, also wants the ability to carry a concealed handgun on campus.

"I'm hoping that people actually realize that this is something that college students are serious about moving forward and realize that it's not about taking the law into your own hands; it's about taking personal responsibility for yourself," said Turner, chairman of the Florida State chapter of Students for the Second Amendment.

Congress is considering legislation that would tighten background checks and give states funding to submit information to a national database that would prevent guns from being sold to dangerous buyers. House lawmakers passed the legislation, but it remains in the Senate.

"It fixes the problem that the states are not submitting the necessary records of people who have been found by a court to be dangerously mentally ill," Hamm said.

Family members and survivors of the Virginia Tech shootings recently visited members of Congress to urge lawmakers to pass the legislation they believe could help prevent future tragedies.

jimpeel

"You don't like the fact that you can't have a gun on your college campus? Drop out of school," said Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

So the Brady Bunch says you should simply not avail yourself of a higher education. I guess they believe you should stay out of shopping malls, lawyers' offices, and the post office as well.

When someone pulls out a gun and starts firing in a crowded environment, it's more likely that additional victims will be harmed, Hamm said.

It is far and away much better that someone WILL be shot by the bad guy instead of the possibility that a good guy MIGHT shoot someone. You should simply pray that he runs out of ammo before he gets to you; sorta like telling women to lie back and enjoy your being raped.

"Let's be grateful that those holsters are empty," he said.

Yes, let's be grateful because we make our living by clawing our way to the top of the heap of dead bodies to decry the evils of firearms. Why, without those victims, we would be out of a job.

Professur

I heard something at another site that I found remarkably insightful.

If you have the RIGHT to bear arms ... why do you need a PERMIT?

Inkara1

There we go. Ban guns on campus, then when some crazy dude shows up packing heat, he'll probably just shoot the campus cops that try to stop him. Really effective ban, there.

spike

I love the idea of a bunch of drunk frat guys packing heat at our schools. Shit let's give high school kids grenade launchers to test on the football field.

:beardbng:

Professur

I love the idea of a bunch of drunk frat guys packing heat at our schools. Shit let's give high school kids grenade launchers to test on the football field.

:beardbng:

I'd be all for that .... provided any parents were left who were allowed to teach their kids right from wrong. Don't forget, general citizens with guns are the only reason your nation (with all it's flaws) even exists.

spike

You want all the drunk frat guys and high school kids to know right from wrong? I'm with you but that's a tall order.

I'd suspect many would just want to have some fun with their Uzi and grenades.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Your choice. A college campus with an undetermined number of students trained and proficient in firearms use, carrying guns, nobody knows who or how many...

OR...

One nut with a gun mowing down everybody else a la Va Tech. The fact that said nut's possession of the gun was against school policy is kinda moot when dozens are already dead.

Professur

Your choice. A college campus with an undetermined number of students trained and proficient in firearms use, carrying guns, nobody knows who or how many...

OR...

One nut with a gun mowing down everybody else a la Va Tech. The fact that said nut's possession of the gun was against school policy is kinda moot when dozens are already dead.

you forgot to mention that all the other students are either cowering in terror, or using their cell phone cameras to capture the moment for their mySpace page.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Maybe. But I manage to put bread on the table by, among other things, observing human behavior. Judging by my waist measurements, I do a decent job of it too.

Among those observations is the fact that people tend to behave differently if they are in a situation where they might get shot. It is a rather effective deterrent to mayhem. The VA Tech gunman didn't go on his rampage at a firing range or in a gun shop. He went someplace where he could be relatively assured of having the only gun present...for awhile at least. Long enough to accomplish his objective. Coincidence? I think not. Very few of these maniacs take their hostages at gun shops etc...it's always a Burger King or something like that. Makes sense. Put 'em in a setting where they run a risk of pulling their gun then hearing 15 more getting cocked and I'd be willing to bet the rent that we'd see less of it.

But what do I know, I'm just an ignorant redneck...

spike

OR...

or a whole bunch of armed untrained drunken nuts firing off their guns at rival frat houses.

Inkara1

You seem to be awfully fixated on the whole drunk frat guys with (banned) assault rifles thing. You're making it sound like it would be an instant bloodbath and every Saturday night fraternity row would turn into another Beirut or another Hanoi. Oddly enough, when I was in college, I saw fraternities have friendly rivalries, but not big fights or street gang-style violence. Although, it's been four or five years since I was in college so I suppose things could have changed overnight in the meantime.

Oh, I should also probably remember to mention that bans of guns on campus wouldn't affect frat houses anyway because they're located off campus. Even so, I don't seem to hear or read anything much about a whole bunch of armed, untrained drunken nuts firing off their guns at rival frat houses.

spike

You seem to be awfully fixated on the whole drunk frat guys with (banned) assault rifles thing.

Why ban any weapons? They have the right to bear arms and all.

You're making it sound like it would be an instant bloodbath and every Saturday night fraternity row would turn into another Beirut or another Hanoi. Oddly enough, when I was in college, I saw fraternities have friendly rivalries, but not big fights or street gang-style violence. Although, it's been four or five years since I was in college so I suppose things could have changed overnight in the meantime.

When I was in college I saw a very large number of fights. Shit there were fights at my local bar at closing time practically weekly. I'm not picturing Beirut but I imagine if everyone involved had been armed it just possible that they might have gotten some use.

Oh, I should also probably remember to mention that bans of guns on campus wouldn't affect frat houses anyway because they're located off campus. Even so, I don't seem to hear or read anything much about a whole bunch of armed, untrained drunken nuts firing off their guns at rival frat houses.

Sure, I only knew a couple students who owned guns and they didn't carry them around on or off campus. They kept them in the house. I think some here would like to see many or most people carrying weapons around to class and elsewhere.

ResearchMonkey

or a whole bunch of armed untrained drunken nuts firing off their guns at rival frat houses.

Which is exactly why its a good idea, its called return-fire. The untrained will either stop the behavior or succumb to being perforated by those who are both trained and skilled.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
The only thing mandatory here is taxation. Hell, even work is optional it appears.

Besides, suburbanites from coast to coast would lapse into apoplexy at the mere thought of their darling princess being taught how to fire a weapon. That time is better spent, according to one school of thought, puttin rubbers on bananas in 5th grade. Who has time to learn how to fire a gun when there's condoms and fruit to be paired?

When I went through high school, a hunter's education class was mandatory, as a part of the semester of health required to graduate. In it, we watched some films and read a book and took a test, and at the end we all had to fire a shotgun at between 3 and 7 clay pigeons. The rednecks, m'self included, opted for 7; the wusses took the three and missed abysmally. You didn't have to hit anything, you just had to shoot the gun to pass. I think even that is no longer required though...too many suburbanite princesses. Male and female.