FiOS

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
846819558.png

HOLY CRAP!!!

Altron

I've been very happy with Verizon. We have the "quadruple play" - TV, Internet, landline phone, and cell phone. There's a bit of a sticker shock because it comes on the same bill (which is a BIG bill), but it worked out to give us more stuff than getting it from separate providers.

A little annoyed at their cell phone service, though. They have started doing a $9.99 mandatory data plan on "3G multimedia" phones. So instead of having normal phones and $30/mo smartphones, now they have normal phones (all of the ones they offer are the really basic ones), and their nicer phones (the flip keyboard and touchscreen and camera phones that aren't smartphones) need this $10 data plan that gives you 25MB. 25MB? seriously? I can use more bandwidth in eight seconds on my home internet than I could in one month on the cell phone. I do a lot of text messaging (yeah, it's how "young people" communicate) so I want the QWERTY phone, but I don't particularly need internet on it, however to get it I would need this $10 a month plan, as all of the basic phones have a standard keypad. So I'm probably going to end up springing for the extra $20 a month and stepping up to an unlimited data plan and then use up far more than 25MB as payback.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
We have all 4 as well (although, Verizon dropped some regiosn & we one of them so it'll soon be only wireless).

I have no use for texting. I have email & I have a 2 phones (landline & cell). Why do I need texting? Especially, when there is a charge. email me, I'll call ya back. Maybe.

Altron

Different age demographics. Just about every one of my friends around the same age of me has text messaging and does it often, so it's developed as a mainstream form of communication. I don't know a single person under the age of 30 who doesn't have a text messaging plan. It definitely has its conveniences, especially with casual conversation that wouldn't be important enough to call someone about. It's nice because you can do it without significantly interrupting what you're doing, or what they're doing (yeah, unless it's driving)