First Muslim Congressman

tonksy

The swearing on the bible comes from making a promise in front of God...so if you are Muslim you should do it in front of Allah...as long as the book you are swearing on his a collection of works appropriate to your beliefs.

tonksy

I suppose it stems from when swearing before God was the ultimate in promising. One actually intended to abide by the swear, I guess :shrug:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What is the, or why should there be a problem with a Muslim Congressman?

Or should we not have women politicians .. ( ..ok ..ok ... well there IS a case :D ... j/k ;) ) ... should we draw the line at Jewish politicians? .... Black politicans? .... Hindi politicans? .... Gay politicians? .... Politicans with beards? ....

mexicans? ..those with Irish ancestry? ... Austrians? .... Latinos? ....

how about Sikhs?

No we shouldn't have any of those.

We should have American politicians acting for & in support of Americans. Everything else is personal BS that tends to muddy the waters.

freako104

Freak, as I understand it there are no religious texts at the official swearing in. This is a ceremony (read publicity opportunity) and is not "official" in any capacity. I personally don't care so much about the religious part (it doesn't mean anything to me) but the whole self-righteous stink it's raised certainly makes me worry even more that the religious right and their conservative lapdogs want our country to be more like the muslim countries and less like America.

That isn't a thought I like to entertain, I would rather have religion and government separate. You make that assertation quite a bit, and I can't say I disagree. That doesn't mean I particularly like it.

spike

The swearing on the bible comes from making a promise in front of God...so if you are Muslim you should do it in front of Allah...as long as the book you are swearing on his a collection of works appropriate to your beliefs.

No shit, it's all ceremonial anyway at that point. Do something meaningful to you.

tonksy

No we shouldn't have any of those.

We should have American politicians acting for & in support of Americans. Everything else is personal BS that tends to muddy the waters.

American does not equal Christian. Perhaps we should start swearing on the Constitution instaed of a religious text.

catocom

sounds good to me too....
Damn good idea.

I'd much rather phase out religion, than add all the others, in the Gov.

chcr

Too cute for words
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

The actual oath. They do swear to support the constitution, which makes me wonder whether most of them (if any) take their oaths seriously at all.

BB

he left the service and took up salsa dancing classes, i think ...

Congrats on the 15,000th post! :bgpimp:

freako104

Ummm...lookie at the bold, but ignore the ranting.

BTW...where's Penfold?

He probably got scared. I mean Danger Mouse was the brave one ;)

I, Loyal Citizen of the Republic, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

I boldfaced what it was I thought you were getting at