follow the money

Ms Ann Thrope

While researching a particular candidate's positions I found these sites: www.opensecrets.org and www.followthemoney.org

Anyone else out there as horrified and dismayed as I am by the amount of dollars raised and spent to buy political office? I mean, why bother using the verb "win" when clearly these contests are decided by the ability to raise money. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I am guilty of contributing to organizations I believe are worthy (Sierra Club, Planned Parenthood and the ACLU). Also, I plan to attend a fundraiser (small change: $50/head) in a couple of weeks for a state senator seeking US Senate office.

How do you feel about campaign contributions? Any of you support candidates or political organizations with your time or checkbook?

tonksy

i don't support politicians at all...even on the tax form when they ask you about the presidential campaign...when i have money to spare it goes to disabled veterans or the VFW.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I have never contributed to any party, politician or group. I plan to continue with that tradition. Let them earn or steal what they need.

Find me an organization where 100% of my proceeds go to assisting those in need & not those in want & I may reconsider.

freako104

does the Salvation Army count? I onyl know about donating clothes and food to them not money tho. and as much as I hate to say this:

money has been making the world go round and work. it is all about money and power

chcr

Too cute for words
freako104 said:
does the Salvation Army count? I onyl know about donating clothes and food to them not money tho. and as much as I hate to say this:

money has been making the world go round and work. it is all about money and power

The Salvation Army promotes a christian agenda, that puts them right off my list. I do a lot of work for the American Cancer Society and the American Heart Ass'n. but I generally don't give cash contibutions (American Cancer Society spends eighty cents out of every dollar we help raise right here). Oh, and I give food to the food bank.

Rose

:s i'm pretty much a bastard in that I don't really have "free" money to donate to charity. although it's on my list of things to do one of these days ...

freako104

chcr said:
The Salvation Army promotes a christian agenda, that puts them right off my list. I do a lot of work for the American Cancer Society and the American Heart Ass'n. but I generally don't give cash contibutions (American Cancer Society spends eighty cents out of every dollar we help raise right here). Oh, and I give food to the food bank.

I didnt consider the Christian Agenda for the Salvation army cause I always thought they did humanitarian things. they didnt care about promoting Christianity.

chcr

Too cute for words
freako104 said:
I didnt consider the Christian Agenda for the Salvation army cause I always thought they did humanitarian things. they didnt care about promoting Christianity.
What did you think the "Salvation" stood for. I know for a fact that in the hall here, if you don't attend the religious service they won't feed you. I know of halls in other places where the same thing happens.

ris

i was always under the impression they still have a healthy missionary (ie conversion) activity to areas they bring aid.

i must admit i am surprised in the astonishing amounts of money given by large corporations to the us elections efforts in what must only be seen as an attempt to buy favour in office. i would have thought such obvious conflicts of interest would have lead to changes in election fund-raising a long time ago.

chcr

Too cute for words
ris said:
i was always under the impression they still have a healthy missionary (ie conversion) activity to areas they bring aid.

i must admit i am surprised in the astonishing amounts of money given by large corporations to the us elections efforts in what must only be seen as an attempt to buy favour in office. i would have thought such obvious conflicts of interest would have lead to changes in election fund-raising a long time ago.

Well, the people who get the money are the ones who make the laws. Whenever the subject of controlling or changing fund-raising is brought up, they scramble around like roaches when the light is turned on.

ris

in the uk there are a few individuals who are heads of companies and also members and contributors to the major political parties.
but i suppose the difference is that uk politics is party based during election time, not individual based.
the press takes the parties to the cleaners on conflict of interest, dirty tricks and sleaze allegations. it did for the conservative party 7 years ago and they are still having a hard time being taken seriously today.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I strongly believe that EVERY contribution to a political candidate should have a person's name attached to it. Not a corporation's. I also think political and campaigne advertising should be illegal. If you have a message to spread, take it to the people so they can question you on it. We all know that nothing is as good as advertised. Especially candidates. :shrug:

freako104

chcr said:
What did you think the "Salvation" stood for. I know for a fact that in the hall here, if you don't attend the religious service they won't feed you. I know of halls in other places where the same thing happens.

i think it had to do with saving something. now as far as forcing the religious service I dont like that. humanitarianism should not have strings attached

freako104

and here I was thinking it was about them saving lives :rolleyes: they can save souls by praying in their own time not by forcing people into their religion

chcr

Too cute for words
Squiggy said:
I strongly believe that EVERY contribution to a political candidate should have a person's name attached to it. Not a corporation's. I also think political and campaigne advertising should be illegal. If you have a message to spread, take it to the people so they can question you on it. We all know that nothing is as good as advertised. Especially candidates. :shrug:
I actually have a better idea (IMO, anyway). Each candidate (defined by petition perhaps?) gets free transport to each primary state, a set amount of money, a set amount of TV, radio and newsprint exposure, etc. One open debate in each primary state (required to be broadcast by the networks). Anyone caught cheating in any way is summarily dismissed from candidacy and no longer allowed to stand for any elected office in the US. I could go on and on, but until special interest money is taken completely out of the equation, government will continue to be corrupt.

Oh, top two vote getters run for office, regardless of affiliation, the incumbent may send a proxy (choose carefully).

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
freako104 said:
and here I was thinking it was about them saving lives :rolleyes: they can save souls by praying in their own time not by forcing people into their religion

This is where you step off track & confuse yourself. It's their money. They can do with it as they wish. Nobody is forced into religion just like nobody is forced into taking what they offer.

It's a two way street. If you want to travel it there's a toll. No big deal

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
This is where you step off track & confuse yourself. It's their money. They can do with it as they wish. Nobody is forced into religion just like nobody is forced into taking what they offer.

It's a two way street. If you want to travel it there's a toll. No big deal
He's right there, freako. It's up to the contributors to know what they're contributing to. I'm not rude to their bell ringers as I walk by at the holidays but I don't put money in either. Once you give them the money, it's theirs to do with what they like. I think I read somewhere that charitable organizations are required by law to spend at least four percent on their charity. The Salvation Army's certainly spends more than that helping people, I just disagree with the message attached and the tacit coercion involved. But Gonz is right, you can walk away hungry and no one will try to stop you. They don't even ask you to believe, but you do have to act like it.

I should note here that if I were humgry enough, I would act like it.