freecreditreport.com != free

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I signed up there to get a credit report just to see if I had one yet, but never received a login. So far has cost me $134 and counting... $80 for the initial charge for service there, $30 for the one-time overdraft fee, and $24 so far for the daily overdraft fees ($6 a day my account is in the red).

They will refund the $80 but not the bank fees, within 7-10 business days.

Do me a favor and don't do what I did. Stay away from freecreditreport.com. :beerbang:

Rose

*loL* Sorry to hear that, fury. :( One should always stay away from anything that says "free" and "credit report" in the same sentance. Hell, on the same page even. *nods*

:leghump: to cheer you up

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I'm staying away from anything at all now that says credit and is not on my bank's website.

Mirlyn

greenfreak said:
Can't you get a free credit report by just writing to one of the credit agencies and requesting it? :confuse3:

I was told (here at least) you have the right to a free credit report if you have been denied a loan or some other application for credit. Otherwise you might have to pay a fee for one (kinda defeats the purpose, but oh well).

I went with Equifax. $30 got all the info I needed. They are one of the big three who control credit reports for anyone requesting credit history on a individual (banks, retailers, etc). I wouldn't go with anyone else except one of the three. One of the three would be the ones who'd deny me if something was wrong anyway. :headbang:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Mirlyn is right, you get a free credit report if you've been turned down by anyone, and you get a free credit report once a year. Just go to the credit agencys rather than going through a third party.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Upon being denied credit, yes you can request & receive a freebie. Only some states have once a year freebies (CA is the only one I know of personally). Last time I paid for one, I snail-mail requested it & paid something like $8.

Inkara1

Gonz said:
Upon being denied credit, yes you can request & receive a freebie. Only some states have once a year freebies (CA is the only one I know of personally). Last time I paid for one, I snail-mail requested it & paid something like $8.
California's not a free credit report state. However, the new federal law overrides that, and the free cerdit report site they're rolling out in four stages currently covers California. It doesn't show the credit score (one of my credit cards shows me my score online monthly as one of the "perks" pf carrying it, so I know mine and I've been able to raise my score 124 points in half a year by getting my cards paid off) but it does show if anything's on your report that shouldn't be there... like loans you never took out and that kind of stuff.

MrBishop

Phone scam cost victims $45M: police

Last Updated Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:32:59 EST CBC News
MONTREAL - A Canada-U.S. investigation has broken up a Montreal-based telemarketing operation that police say bilked more than 100,000 victims of a total of $45 million.

Investigators say the telemarketers, who were operating out of two offices in the Côte-des-Neiges area of Montreal, were making sales calls almost exclusively to senior citizens in the United States.

RCMP Const. Sylvain l'Heureux says the seniors were offered low-interest loans and credit cards in return for a $250 sign-up fee. The services they paid for did not exist, he said.

So far, 28 people have been arrested.
The last I heard...they were also convincing people to recover their bad-credit ratings. and sell them 'packages' to find out were their credit ratings are and what to do about it. On average...$400/pperson taken. :(

Source

The investigation was carried out by the RCMP, the Sûreté du Québec, Montreal police, the FBI and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Looks like telemarketer-scam artists better watch out...borders don't mean a whole lot anymore, eh?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I recall seeing a news story a couple weeks ago that the law regulating credit reports has been changed. Under the new law if I understand it correctly, everyone in the US can obtain a free credit report annually. The law is being phased in nationally, with some areas becoming active before others, and to be complete by the end of 2005 I think. I will try to dig the article up from a news site and post a link if I find it.

The new law would enable people to know what is on their credit report more frequently and with less hassle than the current law. I'm sure somewhere down the line it'll get screwed up though. Nothing ever works like it's designed to work when the feds have their fingers on it.

greenfreak

Funny, my Dad and I were talking about Rusty & I buying a house. He said he saw something online about a free credit report and I almost jumped through the phone, telling him DON'T do it.

From what I recall, I attempted to get my credit report years ago from Equifax and it required snail mailing them something. I never did, and never got it. But when I went for my car loan for 1.9% financing, the salesman characterized my credit report as "stellar". So I'm not too worried at this point.

Inkara1

Not even that anymore. Now they deliver them online... at least they delivered mine online.

TexasRaceLady

Eventually you will be able to get a free credit report once a year in the U. S.

www.annualcreditreport.com

You will have to type in the url. It will not work as a link.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It has already started, in one region with more regions being added thru-out the year.

grumble grumble
For security purposes, www.AnnualCreditReport.com can be accessed by typing the web address "www.annualcreditreport.com", or from links from the Federal Trade Commission (www.ftc.gov), Equifax (www.equifax.com), Experian (www.experian.com) and TransUnion (www.transunion.com) websites.

AnnualCreditReport.com is the only web source authorized by all three nationwide consumer credit reporting companies from which free annual credit file disclosures can be requested.

Winky

you know what 'credit' is:
the right to voluntarily sign yourself into slavery