Future Ford Explorer...

Professur

Never seen that here, Luis. The American and Canadian Montana is the name of the minivan I blew up last year.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Those mini trucks are based on hatchbacks. They put a box instead of rear seats, harder suspension, harder chasis and proper gear ratios.

The main advantage is that they are cheap and have low gas consumption.
The disadvantages are that when it has a load near the limit it won't accelerate fast and it will feel slow, they are also not as comfy as bigger trucks.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The tornado is named montana in other countries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Montana

As for the vw, I think it is named saveiro elsewhere.

or in South Africa where it is sold as the Opel Corsa Utility. :nuts:

A 1/2 or 3/4 ton LONG BED. Hafta be able to stack the drywall, lying down. Toyota doesn't do full size do they? Hell, it's even hard to find a full size long bed in an American truck anymore. Again, they're designing truck sto be cars.

Inkara1

Toyota has the Tundra... the newest version is really fucking big.

The Ranger, et al are smaller trucks... the idea I was thinking of is to have a jack of all trades vehicle... something that will be able to haul around 99 percent of what someone like Nixy would need to haul around, but would still get some semblance of fuel economy. My dad's old 1994 Ranger (extended cab, 2 wheel drive, 4.0 V6, five-speed manual) would get 21-22 miles to the gallon on the freeway, but had plenty of power to haul a truckload of gravel up three or so miles of 7 percent grade while keeping up with traffic.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Prof: I am not buying an old beater truck because I am only keeping one vehicle and I need something decent and reliable...I make trips for work that are upwards of 3 hours in each direction and I plan to be doing a nice few road trips once a few things fall into place for me...I want something newer (note: I am not saying brand new, just something that still has warranty and such). Also, if I go used then it will likely be something coming off a lease.

Inky: I don't think I ever said I was considering buying a F150 (if I'm going truck then I'm going Ford, not even looking at the rest)...I couldn't afford to even think about running a machine that big at this point in time...eventually I want one but right now I need to stay a little more economical. I am not considering a small pick-up, if I'm going smaller than full size it's gonna be a SUV...I do not want a "wanna be" pickup, go big or go home when it comes to that particular type of vehicle. My major consideration I've recently added to the mix is whether to push forward for the Escape as soon as I can make the numbers work and tie myself into another 5-ish years of payments or whether to hang onto the car for a while longer, until I'm making a bit more cash, and at that time go for the real deal.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Luis: If I was going to go for something that wimpy I'd just keep my car. I want something with a decent 4 wheel drive for winter trips into the mountains. I want something with a decent size to it, because I just do...I don't see the point in selling my car so early into the financing and getting something else if it isn't REALLY what I want. I really want both the escape and a F150...I think having a F150 as a sole vehicle would be a bad idea though, which is why I'm leaning towards getting the Escape now and adding the F150 as a second vehicle years from now (like, when I'm married with a house and stuff probably)...but maybe I'll decide to go for the F150 as a sole vehicle...that's a decision I need to make before I move forward with this.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Also, I live in Calgary...picture Texas with colder winters...those kinds of wimpy little trucks don't go over well here (and they've never gone over well with me, maybe that's why I fit in so well here). Ford Rangers and stuff are OK, but when you get into those "wanna be" trucks you're just being a poser.

Professur

Nixy, that's why I put the first part of the post. But ... those older trucks are built to last forever. Particularly the diesels, with no ignition system to fail on you. Even my old '91 is rusted beyond belief, but still starts on a quarter turn. Remember that older trucks weren't intended as penile replacements, but as work trucks, and when people are putting 100k miles on a truck in a year, most of it under load .... you don't stay in business long if your trucks don't meet the need.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Nixy, I mentioned those just because you said you needed to move stuff occasionally. They are wimpy, but they do the job. I've moved furniture in the back of those, not that bad.

IMO, having one of those isn't being a poser, is being reasonable within the demands of the job. Granted, if you need to carry more stuff or if it isn't the proper vehicle then getting one wouldn't be reasonable ;)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Nixy, I mentioned those just because you said you needed to move stuff occasionally. They are wimpy, but they do the job. I've moved furniture in the back of those, not that bad.

IMO, having one of those isn't being a poser, is being reasonable within the demands of the job. Granted, if you need to carry more stuff or if it isn't the proper vehicle then getting one wouldn't be reasonable ;)

I don't only want a truck to move things, I want a truck so I can have 4 wheel drive and not be so scared to drive in the mountains during the winter (in a getting stuck in the snow sense).

Inkara1

Just so long as you remember four-wheel drive alone won't keep you out of the ditch, then life is good.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Just so long as you remember four-wheel drive alone won't keep you out of the ditch, then life is good.

This is true...but it will greatly decrease my chances of getting stuck and/or ending up in the ditch if I use some common sense while driving.

Professur

Um, in that case, you'd be far better served to look at Subaru and Audi. Much better road manners, and the advanced 4 wheel traction control systems do a far better job than a truck's 4X4 with an open differential.

chcr

Too cute for words
Prof's right about the advanced traction controls with Audi and Subaru. I've driven a Forester on some slippery roads and it was excellent.

Note that if you think you want a Subaru at some point, my bro-in-law is chief of packaging design at Subaru NA. Don't know if or what he can do but it never hurts to ask. I know he gets a real deal on the off lease company cars. My sister drives a Forester that he bought a year old. They give him a new lease one to drive every year as part of his compensation package. I might buy a WRX once we get the PT paid off next year or the year after.

Professur

There's only one caveat I feel I must say about the traction control systems .... there's more to go wrong when it does go wrong. A truck's 4x4 is more simple and bulletproof, but it was developed with dirt in mind, not snow.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
As an Audi driver, I agree 100% with prof. When its working, my '88 is a joy to drive regardless of road conditions. When its broke, its hard broke. One caveat, though. My car has over 150,000 miles on it, and the stuff thats breaking is due to age. I haven't had any trouble with my tor$en diff, though. Please not the spelling...I can point you to a website, or three, about the tor$en...