Gan-Green

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
So, you want to live as close to 100% carbon footprint free as possible?

It'll cost ya....

Troy -- It was supposed to be a shining example of the green movement -- a completely independent solar-powered house with no gas or electrical hookups.

Seven months ago, officials gathered for a ribbon-cutting ceremony to celebrate the $900,000 house owned by the city of Troy that was to be used as an educational tool and meeting spot.

But it never opened to the public. And it remains closed.

..it'll still not work....

Story

...and it'll be the ugliest trailer in history....

bilde

not a good investment for nealry a mil

Professur

I know a nutjob survivalist in Tn who's done a far, far better job for about 18k. Granted, he's totally selfsufficient. He's got enough solar going that he sells surplus back to the grid, his own water, his own food lots, chickens .... A far, far better job.

catocom

they shoulda just grown some trees.:nerd:

many solar project Are worth exploring, but they need to stick with the warmer climate area to start with, then learn to walk.

Winky

Solar is silly
nuff sed Fred.
Burn up them dinosaur bonz baby.
Coal power for the win!
Since they won't build any more
zero carbon emission nuke power plants
since 3 mile Island!

Altron

Our school installed a ton of solar panels in November. Really fucking smart, right? The sun is just sooooo bright in the NJ winter.

A month ago, walking under them, I noticed an interesting fact - none of them were wired in. They all had pigtails dangling, but weren't connected to anything. And several were destroyed, since they build them behind the baseball field.

There's the potential for about a kilowatt of energy from a square meter, in direct sunlight. Too bad current solar panels are not nearly that efficient. I think they'll eventually improve to the point that a normal household of people who aren't eco-crazies will buy them and actually save money.

also, these types like to forget the amount of fossil fuels burned to manufacture these panels, or the batteries, or any of that eco-crap.

Winky

That's exactly right, solar electricity is so much more expensive than coal
that it's never going to be anything more than a tree huggers pipe dream.

The absolute reality is that if mankind doesn’t one day figure out how to make a fusion reactor (but of course we will) after all the coal is gone, all the oil burnt up, all the natural gas is burnt...

Once all the uranium on the planet is burnt up...

Only wind, solar, bio-mass fuels and hydro/geo-thermal power will be left.

What a quiet, dark place this would be...

In the meantime BURN UP THEM DINOSAURS!

Winky

Without, writing a multi-page (multi-pass?) diatribe regarding your post, suffice to say...

A fricken nooclear reactor shouldn't cost 'billions and billions'
and take a flippin' decade to build
once again government meddling in the private sector has
screwed over the 'people'... Too many regulations, telling them what they
can charge for the power generated yadda yadda yadda.

Now I ain't sayin' we should build reactors that are destined to
cause the next Chernobyl, (awesome fail doods)
there is a big difference between a graphite core and a light water reactor
which is inherently 'safe'
in the end the core meltdown @ 3mile Island
resulted in three lil puffs of radioactive gas being released.
The nukes in America have been pounding far more than 1.21 gigawatts
for decades and haven’t killed anyone, ‘yet’.

Get the government outta the nuke business, hell give the whole
industry tax free status. Let loose free enterprise and
you’ll be swimming in durn near free carbonless electricity!

Where the fuck does the Governor of a state get off taxing people to build a reactor
no that’s right the state has it’s hands on what a utility is allowed to charge for it’s product,
I call bullshit!
No one in their right mind would invest their private funds to build a reactor but in a different regulatory climate
people would be lining up around the block to get in,
them things are fricken golden geese, veritable money trees!

yer average American is woefully ignorant about what a PWR is and how it operates
but the your average American is just plain ignorant therefore shouldn’t have any say
in anything of major import anyfricken way Jose`!

Build the Nukes MoFo’s

Inkara1

Our school installed a ton of solar panels in November. Really fucking smart, right? The sun is just sooooo bright in the NJ winter.

A month ago, walking under them, I noticed an interesting fact - none of them were wired in. They all had pigtails dangling, but weren't connected to anything. And several were destroyed, since they build them behind the baseball field.

There's the potential for about a kilowatt of energy from a square meter, in direct sunlight. Too bad current solar panels are not nearly that efficient. I think they'll eventually improve to the point that a normal household of people who aren't eco-crazies will buy them and actually save money.

also, these types like to forget the amount of fossil fuels burned to manufacture these panels, or the batteries, or any of that eco-crap.
Fresno State built roofs over a bunch of parking spaces and put solar panels on those roofs. Fresno actually does get a lot of sun, and the lot they used for that is nowhere near the baseball field, so it does make sense in this case.

If New Jersey could find a way to turn bad odors into energy, it would be a financial bonanza like no other.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Three Mile Island Nuclear reactor was "damaged" more by Chernobyl that itself.

God bless the commies.

catocom

Winky, sometimes, just like with some other things the states are getting
lined up to help try to circumvent some of what is trying to be nationalized...
If you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself.

Dave

Thats an awful lot of typing for you there Winkster.
Breaking with your OTC Haiku posting?
Hows the wrists?

valkyrie

That is one fugly trailer. My experience with trailers is quite limited but I think its safe to say that trailer is surely one of the fugliest out there.

I still can't believe that it cost the taxpayers $900K. Is it solid gold?