Gardening chat, anyone?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
:eek: not a joke - the farmers here are allowed with a permit to use human sewage as fertilizer - a couple of days each month it is absolutely unbearable. I knew there must be a reason besides the heat I was dreading summer. Blech! :(

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
no, and I repeat NO Miracle Grow...it's fine for houseplants but it leeches garden soils. NEVER EVER USE IT OUTSIDE, that's an order.

The only time you really need to fertilize is when you have a new bed. Otherwise, make & use compost-it has all the nutrients you need & improves the soil.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Last year we put ZooPoo on it 1 foot all over (the flowers and vegs), then Miracle Grow 1x per month. That was bad? Damn those old people on the commercials! :mad: Maybe that's why my peas died off.

We haven't made enough compost to use, only half a standard composting can, mind you I quit over the winter. So I think this year I will throw some more ZooPoo on top before I plant and leave it, if Miracle Grow is bad.

kuulani

Speaking of gardening, my mom just went to a plant sale on Oahu and bought me 4 RARE native Hawaiian plants ... yippee!! I love my mommy.

Only problem, I'm scared she won't be able to keep them alive 'til she's able to board a plane in June and bring them to me :eek:

*crossing fingers*
*knocking on wood*
*praying to the gods*

Professur

Originally posted by greenfreak
Ah but Coleus is edible my friend. It is technically an herb and has been rumored to have medicinal purposes. :cool:

Most weeds are edible too. Dandilions and thisles make a dandy salad ... it you like that sort of thing. Cattails roasted taste like popcorn.

Is my boyscout training hanging out?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Originally posted by Professur
Most weeds are edible too. Dandilions and thisles make a dandy salad ... it you like that sort of thing. Cattails roasted taste like popcorn.
Is my boyscout training hanging out?

well, I wish the damned vegans would come invade my yard. I have all the dandelions & thistle they could eat. never tried 'em & with the thorns they possess, don't wanna.

Professur

You drop them into boiling water for a minute. Then the outer skin peels off easily, taking the needles with it.. Don't boil 'em too long. If they go off crunchy, they're beyond disgusting. Like boiled cabbage.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Is cooking it a better way than raw? The stuff in mesclun mix is awfully bitter. Doesn't make me want to go out in the lawn and bring in a salad.

Inkara1

I have only one plant. It's a diffenbachia. A diffenbachia that's growing like something out of a bad sci-fi movie, even though I don't take that great of care of it--I just water it when I remember, and move it into a bigger pot every year and a half or so. Until I mentioned this to greenfreak, I never knew that the plant's poisonous, or that it can grow to be five feet tall.

pj

i just wanted an excuse to use the headbanging smilie again... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

ciao,
pj

my garden sux...there's a tree in the middle of the yard holding everything hostage..should i chop it?