Gas Leak

tonksy

For about a year Rob and I have been going back and forth about the gas smell that I smelled and he did not. He couldn't smell anything out of the unusual and and wrote it off to my ex-smoker's adversion to Toby's stale cigarette smoke. I was certain it was gas but I wasn't going to go behind his back and do anything.
Fast forward to last night, we were to be host to the poker game (but we had to move to Homey's due to power outage). One of the guys walks into the dark house and says "I smell gas". So now it was okay to call the gas company and have them come check because now 2 people can smell it so I'm not crazy.
We had a definite leak. The guy smelled it when he walked in the door and his little machine went nutso when he got to the basement. He pinpointed the leak to some point in a pipe and was able to fix it by tightening things up. He said that it wasn't really harmful but that these things get progressively worse over time.
My point is is that if you smell gas you should call the company even if you are the only one to smell it. He said that a woman's nose is more attuned to the smell of natural gas so we oftentimes will be the only one to smell it.

I wonder what this'll do to our gas bill.

A.B.Normal

For about a year Rob and I have been going back and forth about the gas smell that I smelled and he did not. He couldn't smell anything out of the unusual and and wrote it off to my ex-smoker's adversion to Toby's stale cigarette smoke. I was certain it was gas but I wasn't going to go behind his back and do anything.
Fast forward to last night, we were to be host to the poker game (but we had to move to Homey's due to power outage). One of the guys walks into the dark house and says "I smell gas". So now it was okay to call the gas company and have them come check because now 2 people can smell it so I'm not crazy.
We had a definite leak. The guy smelled it when he walked in the door and his little machine went nutso when he got to the basement. He pinpointed the leak to some point in a pipe and was able to fix it by tightening things up. He said that it wasn't really harmful but that these things get progressively worse over time.
My point is is that if you smell gas you should call the company even if you are the only one to smell it. He said that a woman's nose is more attuned to the smell of natural gas so we oftentimes will be the only one to smell it.

I wonder what this'll do to our gas bill.

Glad it was fixed before things got really bad.

*poor Unc,Tonks is never gonna let him forget it.

tonksy

Nah, I am used to him not smelling things I smell. This just gives me license to act on them.

Mirlyn

Our meter was leaking once, and I just happened to be beside it one calm night to smell it. Who knows how long it had been leaking--hard to smell that stuff outside.

Our office had one awhile back. After calling a plumber (who replaced all the piping in the mechanical room--it was that bad) our office headaches stopped. Never really knew that's what caused them.

Frodo

BTW, you don't have to wait until the gas company gets there. If you know you have a problem, shut it off now. If you don't know where your shutoff valve is (usually just before the meter) get someone to show you.

Professur

About 20 years back, when I worked for a company downtown, I was sure I smelled a transformer starting to burn. I got my boss, who got maintenance down to check it out. I should mention that this was an 150 year old building, and I'm working down in the basement, right beside the transformer room. Well, they check it out and give the all clear. All's well and good. I have the next day off, since we alternated weekends. Come back in two days ... and there's this gawd awful racket coming from a semi trailer parked in our loading dock. Guess what? The day I was off ... one of the transformers cooked off, blowing the steel doors (right beside where I work) open. I should mention that these are the step down transformers for two entire blocks. The noisy semi was a generator truck.

I never, ever ignore my senses.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Look for spider webs in the meter, if there are a lot, chances are meter is leaking, spiders are attracted to natural gas.

kuulani

He said that a woman's nose is more attuned to the smell of natural gas so we oftentimes will be the only one to smell it.

:rofl: That's because we have to smell men's gas ALL THE TIME ... god would be so helpful if we were immune instead.