Gen. Pace...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Those whom you disagree. You may not agree, nor like, ideologies that aren't in lilne with your thinking but if you think
spike said:
We should eliminate the bigotry
you have censored another. Who says you are correct in your thinking?

spike

Ahhh, by eliminate the bigotry I meant eliminate the practice of not allowing openly gay folks to serve in the military. That has nothing to do with censorship.

Actually it's them who are being censored with the whole "don't tell".

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
There are rules in place that have served this country & its military well. It's when the left started turning our men in uniform into Meals on Wheels caterers that the problems began. They've lowered standards instead of booting the weak. Now we have Nancy & crew trying to run the show from her perch of ignorance.

spike

Lowered standards has nothing to do with it. Job performance is not affected by sexual orientation.

If you remember the standards were lowered recently because of Bush running the show from a perch of ignorance. The right has stretched out the military in a big farce which resulted in the recently lowered standards.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The maximum age was extended. I didn't know about lowering standards. Expand por favor.

Which branch was Ms (Mrs?) Pelosi a part? GW was in the Air Force.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gays have always served in the military. The US military has always said that homosexuality is not compatible with military service. If you want to be completely honest, it wasn't until 'Don't ask, don't tell' that this has been an issue at all. Break the regs and you're out.

That's the point that everyone (almost ;) ) misses.

Who do you think I want to censor exactly?

I think he probably meant censure but I have no real way of being certain.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
In addition to the age requirements:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1499164,00.html

http://www.slate.com/id/2127487/

Now you want to expand on what standards Pelosi is responsible for lowering and what Bush's psuedo service has to do with anything?

I was a HS dropout who joined the Army in the 80s. (No, it was not due to lack of choices). A HS dropout who got a GED & went on to prove moronic college professors incorrect.

The dumbing down is, in fact, returing to its heritage & tradition.

Ignorance. Look it up.

I think he probably meant censure but I have no real way of being certain.

No sir, I meant censor. As in shutting up from having a voice because he disagrees with them.

2minkey

bootlicker
Vote on the page with the story...

And, yes. Klansmen have the right to express their opinions as well...I may not agree with their opinion, but at least I'll know what I'm dealing with, and can proceed accordingly. Nice try at baiting me, though. I believe I've stated before that I'd rather deal with a racist up front than to have him/her knife me in the back.

I did vote when i figured out how to do so.

BTW I wasn't trying to bait you - i was just using klansmen as an example of the kind of obvious twits we all (well, 'cept maybe winky) disagree with, but shouldn't be silenced...

don't you have that navy guy to bate you, anyway? :rofl:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I did vote when i figured out how to do so.

BTW I wasn't trying to bait you - i was just using klansmen as an example of the kind of obvious twits we all (well, 'cept maybe winky) disagree with, but shouldn't be silenced...

don't you have that navy guy to bate you, anyway? :rofl:

What navy guy? K62?

Gotholic

Re: A person's sexual preference does not affect his service in the military.

That is not the point.

This topic is very similar to what happened to Michelle Manhart, who was an Air Force staff sergeant who posed nude for Playboy magazine, and thus was discharged for her conduct. Now her actions do not affect her job performance, but that is not the point either.

The point has been and always will be about order and discipline ever since the U.S. military inception.

It was said best in the following selections of George Washington's general orders:

It is required and expected that exact discipline be observed and due subordination prevail thro' the whole Army, as a failure in these most essential points must necessarily produce extreme hazard, disorder, and confusions; and end in shameful disappointment and disgrace. The General most earnestly requires and expects a due observance of those articles of war established for the government of the Army which forbid profane cursing, swearing, and drunkenness; And in like manner requires and expects of all officers and soldiers not engaged on actual duty a punctual attendance on Divine service to implore the blessings of Heaven upon the means used for our safety and defence.

Source: Washington, Writings, Vol. III, p. 309, from General Orders from Cambridge on July 4, 1775.

His Excellency [George Washington] wishes [it] to be considered that an Army without order, regularity, and discipline is no better than a commissioned mob; Let us therefore . . . endeavor by all the skill and discipline in our power, to acquire that knowledge and conduct which is necessary in war--our men are brave and good; men who with pleasure it is observed are addicted to fewer vices than are commonly found in Armies; but it is subordination and discipline (the life and soul of an Army) which next under Providence, is to make us formidable to our enemies, honorable in ourselves, and respected in the world.

Source: Ibid, at Vol. IV, pp. 202-203, from General Orders from Cambridge on January 1, 1776.

Purity of morals being the only sure foundation of public happiness in any country and highly conducive to order, subordination, and success in an Army, it will be well worthy the emulation of officers of every rank and class to encourage it both by the influence of example and the penalties of authority. It is painful to see many shameful instances of riot and licentiousness. . . . A regard to decency should conspire with a sense of morality to banish a vice productive of neither advantage or pleasure.

Source: Ibid, Vol. XIII, pp. 118-119, from General Orders from Fredericksburgh on October 21, 1778.

spike

I was a HS dropout who joined the Army in the 80s. (No, it was not due to lack of choices). A HS dropout who got a GED & went on to prove moronic college professors incorrect.

Good for you. Who did you prove wrong now? What's this have to do with anything?

The dumbing down is, in fact, returing to its heritage & tradition.

This is a return to tradition?

The US military has stopped battalion commanders from dismissing new recruits for drug abuse, alcohol, poor fitness and pregnancy in an attempt to halt the rising attrition rate in an army under growing strain as a result of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Last month it emerged that one recruiter gave advice on how to cheat a mandatory drug test to a potential would-be soldier who said he had a drug problem.

In another incident in Texas, a recruiter threatened a 20-year-old man with arrest if he did not turn up to an interview.

Pentagon has decided to make up the difference by expanding the pool—by letting up to 10 percent of new recruits be young men and women who have neither graduated high school nor earned a General Equivalency Diploma.

More than that, the Los Angeles Times reports today that 4 percent of recruits will be allowed to score as low as in the 16th to 30th percentile—a grouping known as "Category IV"—on the U.S. Armed Forces' mental-aptitude exam.

Now while you complain about Pelosi lowering standards you give no examples of how when asked.

I give a bunch of examples of how Bush has clearly lowered the standards and you make excuses and call it a "return to tradition".

You are so firmly in denial it's amazing.

No sir, I meant censor. As in shutting up from having a voice because he disagrees with them.

Once again, I'm not asking anyone to shut up. The only people being censored are the one's that have to "Don't tell".