Goal Setting

JennySpalding

I remember listening to one of my motivational tapes and hearing the speaker mention this profound statement. "People overestimate what they can achieve in a month, and grossly underestimate what they can achieve in five years." He was talking about this subject during one of his goal setting sessions. At first glance, it sounds like he is telling us to dial down our expectations of what we can achieve in the short-term, but in reality, it was almost the opposite.

His point was we needed to start stretching our one-year, five-year, and ten-year goals to limits we found almost impossible to believe and then start working backwards from them to design our short-term goals.

Taking on this change in thinking helps free your mind to think bigger and start focusing on the big picture. You may fail on many of those short-term thirty-day, sixty-day, and one-hundred-day goals, but you will achieve your long-term goals because you keep striving for them. You keep moving forward, sometimes failing forward, until you reach those goals.

I used to get frustrated by not reaching goals I set for those short periods, but by switching to a bigger picture goal, those tiny failures turn into stepping stones that keep me moving in the right direction. That helps you remove many of those goal setting limitations, freeing you to think big.

What are the best ways you have found to set goals and meet them?

catocom

I think setting small goals to start with is the best.
Think big for long term, but start small, but keep increasing gradually until you find your 'spot'.
[Clint Eastwood] A man's got to know his limitations. ...(or person in any case)