Gonz, SnP, and others who don't like what we're becoming...

unclehobart

hmmm...

Islanders against sale of island to Mel Gibson

By Christine Khan

Mago Island, Fiji (eTurboNews) -- A group of villagers, who claim to be the original owners of Mago Island, have condemned its sale for $24.7 million to Hollywood action hero Mel Gibson.

Gibson bought Mago Island, in the Lau Group, following a personal visit more than a week ago.

But Namalata Development Council chairman Timoci Waqalevu said in The Fiji Times that the island was declared freehold property after his forefathers settled an unfair transaction that took place with cotton planters in the early 1800s.

Waqalevu said the planters gave the villagers 2000 coconuts and intimidated them with guns before chasing them out.

He said after living on Namalata Island, Ratu Sukuna Lalabalavu, officially gave the island to his people, who were stateless.

He said while more than 200 people lived on the 50 square-acre island there was constant disputes over gardening areas because there was a lack of proper cultivation land.

He said during festive seasons families who lived in the cities could not return home because there was no room on the island to accommodate them.

Waqalevu said the village had very few educated people who could take their concerns up with relevant authorities.

He told The Fiji Times he had discussions at some levels and hoped the island would be given to his people until Gibson bought it.

Gibson jetted into the country earlier this month with his wife and two children to inspect the 5411-acre tropical island.

English planter Rupert Ryder bought the island soon after the original natives were removed until it was sold in 1930 to copra farmer, Jim Borron.

In 1985, Borron sold the island to international hotel developer Tokyu Corp for $6 million.

Waqalevu said the villagers were relying on the Fiji government’s assistance because they could not afford the huge price the island was being sold for.

He said the villagers had planned to set up a project on the island that would generate income to pay off their debt to government.

When contacted yesterday, Prime Minister Laisenia Qarase said he had already been interviewed by a journalist on the subject and did not wish to repeat himself.

Lands Minister Ratu Naiqama Lalabalavu referred all questions to his chief executive officer Niumaia Tabunakawai, who could not reached for comment.

Waqalevu said the stories of the coconut deal were passed from generation to generation and it was time their concerns were heard.

He said the sale of Mago Island was just one example of how many islands that were declared freehold during the 1800s were being sold without the knowledge of its original landowners.
http://www.travelwirenews.com/cgi-script/csArticles/articles/000025/002570.htm

abooja

Fresh water fishing? I'm there. :headbang:

I also don't think we ought to buy anything with people already on it. We don't want to be perceived as greedy western imperialists, just a gang of antisocial goons. ;)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
abooja said:
Fresh water fishing? I'm there. :headbang:

I also don't think we ought to buy anything with people already on it. We don't want to be perceived as greedy western imperialists, just a gang of antisocial goons. ;)

We're not anti-social...just fed up. :grinyes: The anti-social ones go to Canada. ;) After unc posted the 'Mel Gibson' story, I checked to be sure that there were no people living on that island in Brazil...and besides those folks on the beach, it's pretty vague. Squatters can be a problem in South America, though...but nothing a good donation to the local constabulary can't fix in a real hurry...;)

This is a description of the first island, BTW...

The island is composed of 2 volcanic knolls, separated by a flat plain

Volcanic soil.

abooja

Out of curiosity, are going to officially expatriate ourselves from our respective homelands? Paying taxes sucks.

How about the occasional visit back home? There's always some kind of wedding or funeral to attend. Will we have transport for such purposes?

Most importantly, can we build a giant outdoor smoker? Unless, of course, we don't get them hogs. Smoking banana peels is a good song, not a good meal.

abooja

SouthernN'Proud said:
Guess I better bring my flag, huh? :lloyd:
Sure thing. I actually have experience building and erecting a flagpole. (Chopped down a tree and made it out of that.) Remember the ex from Baton Rouge? The first flag he wanted flown on that thing was the stars and bars, along with the Gasdsen flag. Good thing he was high on a secluded hill (among other things).

Professur

abooja said:
I actually have experience building and erecting a flagpole. (Chopped down a tree and made it out of that.) Remember the ex from Baton Rouge? The first flag he wanted flown on that thing was the stars and bars, along with the Gasdsen flag. Good thing he was high on a secluded hill (among other things).

erecting a pole? The ex was high? You really need to think through your phrasing.:D

abooja said:
Out of curiosity, are going to officially expatriate ourselves from our respective homelands?

Hell no. I didn't give it up to come here, I'm not giving it up to go there.

Gato_Solo

abooja said:
Out of curiosity, are going to officially expatriate ourselves from our respective homelands? Paying taxes sucks.

How about the occasional visit back home? There's always some kind of wedding or funeral to attend. Will we have transport for such purposes?

Most importantly, can we build a giant outdoor smoker? Unless, of course, we don't get them hogs. Smoking banana peels is a good song, not a good meal.

Okay. I can't answer the first question for you, because that's something personal. I can agree, though, that paying taxes sucks. I, for one, wouldn't give up my citizenship, though. That would make me lose my retirement, and I may need money from time to time...if only to keep minor problems on the island taken care of.

The islands I've been linking to are close enough to their respective mainlands and travel systems to make it quite possible to return any time you wish. They also come with their own boats...or access to boats, to get you to the mainland and back with no problem.

I figure that, if you want a smoker, there should be no problem...what you smoke, however, will be up to you. Whether we bring pigs/hogs or not, the smoker can be used for more than just pork. Fish, fowl, and mammals of all types can be smoked...

Gato_Solo

unclehobart said:
I think we've yet to even decide climate, local, necessities, population ... were still at square one.

Who votes for a tropical climate? Locale is unimportant...

Me

Population should be no more than 20.

Necessities should be limited to, well, necessities. Food, water,shelter, and clothing. If you'd like to bring/build something to make life easier, I can see no problem with that, so long as any changes to the life-style don't mean major changes to the island ecosystem. ;)

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
The only thing I absolutely insist on is a designated serpent assassin. I ain't sharin' NUTTIN with a damn snake. Period. Animal rights advocates be damned, the only good snake is a dead snake. Anything that big that can locomote from point A to point B and ain't got nobody's feet or shoulders has zero right to live in my area code.

Other than that, I'm pretty flexible. :lloyd: