Greenfreak! Orchids!

Rose

:D I'd pm you, but others might find this interesting, too.

In the August 2003 edition of Smithsonian Magazine the 'Points of Interest' section features a story called "Fakahatchee Ghosts". As you probably have already guessed, it's referring to Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve in Florida and the rare Ghost Orchids (and other species) found there.

Anyway, it's pages 24 & 27. Not very long, but a couple pictures and a good read. Iff'n I can remember, I'll try to take the magazine to work and scan it.

:)

greenfreak

Oh boy that would be sooooo cool if you could scan that! Those orchids are getting a lot of press ever since the book "The Orchid Thief" came out and the movie Adaptation. They really are beautiful, but there are so many others out there that are gorgeous too. Most of them are in my living room. ;)

I've been reading up on what makes some orchids protected by law and there's no rhyme or reason to it. There's an interesting book called "Orchid Fever" which details the people who used to go on orchid hunts (legally and illegally) and what lengths people will go to for these flowers. It's insane.

Speaking of insane, I just spent $150. on a light setup for my Cattleya orchids that are in my 30 gallon aquarium-turned-terrarium. :D