gum in carpet

alex

My son moved back in with me a few months ago (that's another whole story). He had a friend over one night who apparently had a big wad of gum on the bottom of his shoe which has taken refuge in my carpet just in front of the couch. What I don't understand is, the gum is just a big blob in one spot. It's almost like he just dropped it there and smeared it into the carpet. Seems like there would be a trail of smaller spots. Anyway, I tried putting ice on it to harden it up but this puppy is deep in the carpet. Maybe some freon would do the trick?

tonksy

A diaper wipe...or rather several diaper wipes and some elbow grease. It will work and won't discolor the carpet.

alex

HomeLAN said:
Goof Off or a similar petroleum/citrus cleaner should do the job.

I have some goof off but wouldn't a petroleum base product kinda melt it and potentially smear it in more? I've always heard freezing it will make it hard and then you can just break it apart.

HomeLAN

Freezing, from what I've seen, has mixed results. I actually have been given to undersatnd that WD-40 is effective. Peanut butter also works, but will leave a stain.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
diaper wipes first, if that fails, WD.

I don't *think* that ass wipes are as potent as diaper wipes.

unclehobart

I think you should let yer boy chew up another 200 pieces and smear them into the carpet every 6 inches in a box square pattern to make it look like factory issue.

That or just get a mini rug runner and cover it up and punch yor kid in the gut for being a sloppy mofo.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I dunno if it would work on a soft surface but wet dryer sheets work on hard surfaces (I am currently in the process of cleaning gum from the drum of the dryer...I really need to check my pockets before I do wash :lloyd: ) I have found that if it's a litte warm (maybe warm with a hairdryer?) it works better....

tonksy

If those ass wipes are the medicated kind, then no...if not then they are just overpriced diaper wipes.
Diaper wipes are great stain removers on clothing, too.

alex

Leslie said:
diaper wipes first, if that fails, WD.

I don't *think* that ass wipes are as potent as diaper wipes.

Actually they are Pure-N-Gentle baby wipes.

unclehobart said:
I think you should let yer boy chew up another 200 pieces and smear them into the carpet every 6 inches in a box square pattern to make it look like factory issue.

That or just get a mini rug runner and cover it up and punch yor kid in the gut for being a sloppy mofo.

Oh, don't think for a moment he didn't get his ass chewed...and his friend too...real good...multiple times. If there's one thing I hate is a sloppy kid who doesn't respect someones home. I made my son and his friends take their shoes off before coming in the house after that. That seemed to embarrass him more than the ass chewing. My son felt real bad about it. He knows how I am about my house. But I let it go after a while, I was feeling sorry for him at the time....but like I said, that's another story.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I don't know that brand. I always used the good stuff that will strip furniture. It's worth a try. Just use the ones from the bottom of the container, as they're always the wettest.

If they don't work, WD will work. Then you just have to get the stink out, or have the house smell like an auto shop for a couple days.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
That oil would also get the gum out, if you could figure out how to get that stain out of the carpet afterwards :lol2:

Professur

alex said:
Anyway, I tried putting ice on it to harden it up but this puppy is deep in the carpet. Maybe some freon would do the trick?

Get a can of air (electronics dust blaster) and spray it upside down. It comes out as a very cold liquid. That's what we used in the hotels.