Had to have a little talk with my neighbor this evening....

alex

I come home from work and do my usual routine of changing into my evening attire, mixing a drink and relaxing in front of the TV in my recliner. About thirty minutes later I hear this banging outside. I look out and see some kids playing catch in the yard behind me and occasionally the ball would hit the fence.....no big deal. A little bit later, I hear this horendous constant banging. I looked out and this kid is just whalin' away at my fence with his baseball bat :mad: I go out there and tell him to stop and he's like "OK sir, yes sir"......back to it a few minutes later :mad:. This time I told one of the other kids to go get their father. Well, a few scoldings later and some threats of financial responsibility I think cured the problem. WTF is wrong with kids?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
alex said:
I come home from work and do my usual routine of changing into my evening attire, mixing a drink and relaxing in front of the TV in my recliner. About thirty minutes later I hear this banging outside. I look out and see some kids playing catch in the yard behind me and occasionally the ball would hit the fence.....no big deal. A little bit later, I hear this horendous constant banging. I looked out and this kid is just whalin' away at my fence with his baseball bat :mad: I go out there and tell him to stop and he's like "OK sir, yes sir"......back to it a few minutes later :mad:. This time I told one of the other kids to go get their father. Well, a few scoldings later and some threats of financial responsibility I think cured the problem. WTF is wrong with kids?

My thoughts exactly!!

The kids that live across the street from my mom are constantly playing hockey and such in the street and they don't even move the nets when cars come! The parents don't do anything! Also, my mom works continental shifts so she's often home during the day during the week (she only works 14 days a month and 7 of those are on nights and 2 of the days on days are on the weekend...so all but 5 days a month she's home during the day...be it sleeping or awake) and she usually parks in the garage overnight...one day she heard this banging and looked out the window and the brats were shooting a tennis ball at our garage doors! They must have thought noone was home cause the car wasn't in the driveway, she hadn't been out anywhere that day. My mom opened the window and told them off, as far as she knows they haven't done it since...but she isn't always home...

alex

WTF is wrong with parents? :mad:

I would'a beat my son fucking silly if I caught him beating the hell outta someones fence like that.....or throwing a tennis ball at someones garage door.

Once when my son was about 10, he and some friends found my BB gun and decided to "take it for a ride". They were actually shooting at people from inside the garage. My next door neighbor came by that afternoon and said something about it but I was oblivious to what they had done so I told her "My son would never do that". Later on I investigated and found that the BB gun had been removed and used. I jerked him up by the collar and drug him across the yard and made him apologize to the whole family next door. He'll never forget that.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
They weren't even throwing it...they were shooting it with hockey sticks...much worse...and a couple of these kids are not so old...young enough the mother (who is a stay at home mom) SHOULD be outside watching them...but of course their youngest (the only girl out of like their 4 or 5 kids) used to be outside with just her brothers when she was less than a year...and I'd say they were all under 10 (at the most).

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I never did anything of the sort because I was scared of what would happen if I did and got caught...my dad or mom never laid a hand on me or my brother but we knew that if we crossed the line we'd get harsh punishment (hell, the groundings I got for being after curfew and the like were bad enough...wouldn't wanna find out what woulda happened if I'd been disrespectful to the neighbours :eek: )

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
When I did something wrong spanked, when I said something out of limits I got my mouth shut with a slap on it, when I cried I was told they would give me a reason to cry.

Worked fine.

alex

Bad thing is, these days all it takes is some high horse school counsler trying to justify their job to get you thrown in jail for child abuse....and the kids know it.

Luis G

Staff member
alex said:
Bad thing is, these days all it takes is some high horse school counsler trying to justify their job to get you thrown in jail for child abuse....and the kids know it.

That's preciselly why there's so many uneducated kids, like the one with the bat.

Altron

I don't know about you celcius people, but in new jersey, in the front of the lawns, by the sidewalks, there are these brown metal boxes, about the size of a paperback book. They do something with the plumbing, so that if you flush the toilet and go over to it, you can hear the water. It has these vents in the top.

Anyway, I was probably seven, and on the way home from the bus stop, my best friend and I would stick little twigs in the one in front of his neighbor's house. Apparantly this clogged the plumbing or something, and my dad found out, so my friend and I had to walk over, apologize, and give the lady a check for half the repairs each. For some reason, the sum of seventeen dollars sticks out in my mind. I don't think I ever went within five feet of that thing again.

Looking back, my dad has done and is still doing a lot of things that I don't like, but all in all, I came out the better for it. Some of the things that people my age say to their parents makes me want to show them the back of my hand and teach them some respect. My parents taught me respect, although through punishments other than hitting (my dad was ready to smack me, but my mom wouldn't let him.) and you know what, it worked. I feared my parents as a small child, but now I'm much closer to them than most of my friends are to their parents. I think it's because they didn't really treat me as a kid. Growing up, I had to be responsible for what I did, and if I did something bad, I was punished. Now I have an adult-to-adult kind of relationship with them.

Luis G

Staff member
Altron said:
Looking back, my dad has done and is still doing a lot of things that I don't like, but all in all, I came out the better for it. Some of the things that people my age say to their parents makes me want to show them the back of my hand and teach them some respect. My parents taught me respect, although through punishments other than hitting (my dad was ready to smack me, but my mom wouldn't let him.) and you know what, it worked. I feared my parents as a small child, but now I'm much closer to them than most of my friends are to their parents. I think it's because they didn't really treat me as a kid. Growing up, I had to be responsible for what I did, and if I did something bad, I was punished. Now I have an adult-to-adult kind of relationship with them.

Did you get punished for the snowblower thing? ;)

Winky

That kid with the baseball bat is tomorrows
serial killer and you prolly stifled his progress

bad bad yer a bad man

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Gonz said:
They're kids. At least the parent didn't respond by calling you a looney & threatening to call the cops.

But what happened to parental authority? Seriously, the THOUGHT of repurcussions kept me and my brother in line when we were younger...even though we never really got punished that severely. I mean, when I was grounded I just wasn't allowed off the end of the driveway (I must say my dad stood his ground pretty good with me and my friend from across the street both badgering him to let me out)...nothing like locked in the room without TV or music or anything but a book (although if I hadn't got ground mostly in the summer my room with a book wouldn't have bothered me)...

I dunno about in Alex's case but the reaction the kids had when my mom yelled at them showed they knew they weren't suppose to do it but they did it anyway...when the ball accidentally hit the CAR when they were playing hockey my mom didn't care because they're kids and didn't mean to...just like when the basketball was hitting Alex's fence...but when they cross the line into purposely doing something they KNOW is wrong...that is what baffles me.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Paretns are too busy buying new cars & bigger boob jobs to lay down the law with their kids.

Altron

Luis G said:
Did you get punished for the snowblower thing? ;)

The entire thing was my dad's idea. I've definetly posted what really happened a few times. I had the neighbor's permission to take it, but because they left the wrong key, we needed to hoist it over a fence.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Leslie said:
Silly 'mericans. You don't use a puck in road hockey!!! :p

My thoughts EXACTLY!

I DID specify earlier that it was a tennis ball...if they were using an actual road hockey ball there probably would have been actual damage :eek: