Had to work on my jeep today

Inkara1

His steering wheel does look good... I just wish I'd taken the time to familiarize myself with the cruise control BEFORE I was already on the freeway in the dark.

Altron

Airbags make the wheel so fugly.

442_InteriorLeft.jpg

This is what a steering wheel should be.

Although the boat has a pretty sweet one also...
HPIM0703.jpg

It is really nice, makes turning quickly a snap, much lighter than an airbag wheel. You can hook your thumbs in the joint between the wooden bar and the wheel and it's really nice.
The only problem is that if it hasn't been armor-all'ed in awhile, it can get kinda weird if it's super humid/warm and rainy out, the surface feels very gritty. When it's dry, or when it's been cleaned, nice and smooth.

Inkara1

Airbag wheels can be a lot better-looking than the one in the Impala, though... and almost all of them are. The one in the Impala is almost as ugly as in the 03-up Cavalier.

Kruz

Kruz said:
Just as I was thinking about replacing the tires on the Jeep, These Came in.
They are "Take-off's" from a 06 Grand Cherokee. with about 1,500 miles on them.
I snatched 'em up for $250 bucks and will be putting them on next week.
The tires on the jeep are p225\75\16
The new ones are P245\65\17. it will be a nice upgrade for the truck :beardbng:

Put the wheels and tires on today.. I think it looks pretty good.

Inkara1

I've never been a big fan of SUVs trying to look like bubbles. I'm more into the 93-98 and 05-up Grand Cherokees, myself.

Kruz

Inkara1 said:
I've never been a big fan of SUVs trying to look like bubbles. I'm more into the 93-98 and 05-up Grand Cherokees, myself.

Then you'll like the Commander.. it's about as Slab sided as you can get:D

Inkara1

Kruz said:
Then you'll like the Commander.. it's about as Slab sided as you can get:D

Naw... that's going a little TOO far in the other direction. That, and the headlights are really ugly.

A.B.Normal

highlights
fasstdak said:
up...working on the front axle seals today.

Had to program the PCM and SKIM for the customer and it needs an O2 SIMM, but otherwise, factory installed (looking) and runs perfectly.
fasstdak said:
Nope...factory mounting locations on the Hemi and custom fabbed brackets for the TJ.
fasstdak said:
It is completed and has already been at the last SEMA show and drives around Austin. It also passes inspection.
fasstdak said:
At a cost of $65K for the entire project, the owner hasn't put it through too many "trials" yet. It's coming though.

Inkara1

So all he had to do is make up custom engine mounts and change around the computer? Hot damn! I gots ta get me one of those!

Professur

Well, I went shopping last night. Checked out the 2005 and the 2006. 2006 was the new-model year so there were some major differences.

2005, found it in candy red, beige interior. The front seat is a split 60/40 bench with the middle seat on the drivers half. Fairly typical dash. Ugly steering wheel, but what do you expect? Rear seat is a flat bench so the middle isn't any less comfortable than the two sides. The back, however, is a pull down armrest, so it's stiff against the back. I expect I'll shove a car seat there anyways, so no blood, no foul. Trunk space is fucking rediculous. I could lay 4 bodies side by side in there, and still have room left for the shovel. Downers are pretty much restricted to that butt ugly rear end, with the owl's eyes taillights.

2006. Gawd. Exterior, much prettier than the 2005. Rear looks the same as the Malibu. And that's where the good stops. Interior is ... vanila. Plain. It looks like you bought the cheapest car, with nothing installed. Even the dash vents, when closed, look like covers over empty opennings. POS slit side mirrors might look good, but they're useless as tits on a nun. Rear seat has a 12v power point in plain view. Yeah, that's what I really want availible to young kids. But the worst, worst, worst, was the front seat. No longer a 60/40, it's now a 40/20/40. Basically a pair of bucket seats with a somewhat padded console in between. It fails as a seat, and still fails as a console too. And since the ability to seat 6 in a pinch, if not confort is the only reason that I'm even looking at the Impala .... On the other hand, the trunk ... if anything is even larger than the 2005. I think I could squeeze in a 5th body. But if you had groceries in there and ever had to hit the brakes, you're gonna have to send in the kids with flashlights to get them back.

Pros for both cars: seating position. high and erect. Even at 5', the missus should have no bother seeing over the dash, and right down the hood. Which does bring to light one worrisome point. Just how fucking short at the folk that are still looking through the wheel?

Cons for both cars .... absolutely no fucking way in hell to put a full sized spare in place to the compact temp. With that much trunk space, that's totally inexcusable. My first act on buying most cars is to take the compact spare and loose it somewhere, and get a full size tire from scrap yard. Can't do that. I'm not happy. But then, with the size of the tires on this .... lifting the flat back in would be a chore in itself. Pulling that weight outta a well would be completely beyond the missus.

Anyhoo, the family's coming down today, and I'm gonna take her for a test drive. I know which one I'd buy, but then, it's not my car.

And spark plug changes (you've all been dying to hear this) can be done in the driveway in about 20 minutes.

And I just checked the Canadian Black Book for the trade in value of the old van. In full running condition .....$900. Not even worth having it towed to the dealership.

Inkara1

The steering wheel on the 2006 is a hell of a lot less ugly, though. But I'd be willing to guess you'd get a better deal on the 2005. How many miles does the '05 have? Is the '06 a "slightly used" model, and if so, what's the mileage on it?

Also, which engines are the two equipped with?

Professur

2005 is packing a 3.4l with 39k on the clock. Asking 15,800. It's a turned in representative's car, so the milage is in line, and I know that the service is spot on.

2006 is a 3.5l (same damn engine, 'improved' a bit) with 29k on the clock. Asking $19,900. Supposedly a turned in leaser. Awful short lease, if you ask me.