Haiti: KK discussion 2010

valkyrie

Haiti, one of 2 countries on the island of Hispaniola. The other country, The Dominican Republic, shares the east half of the island. Haiti is considered the poorest Caribbean country. Last year, it suffered under the devastation of two hurricanes.

On January 12, 2010, a 7.0 magnitude earthquake occurred on the Enriquillo-Plantain Garden fault system. The earthquake devastated Port-Au-Prince, Haiti, collapsing buildings including the capitol, killing over 100,000 people and leaving over 600,000 homeless.
USGS details of the 01/12/2010 earthquake

Discuss.

valkyrie

Interesting radio report I heard on Friday afternoon on NPR. A reporter was commenting on the upbeat, positive attitude of the Haitians. Reporters aren't getting the reactions from people that they had expected. Media loves to report on horrors and tragedies and interviews with the people they happen to helps to feed that media machine.

Haitians are singing praises to their god for the earthquake because they believe Haiti will be rebuilt anew: a fresh start. They see the good in what has happened, despite over 100K people already dead.

Neighborhood watches are being formed by Haitian citizens. They organize their own night watches, confronting anyone they are not familiar with before letting them pass. They are organizing and sharing in the duties of communal cooking, medical relief (with what minimal supplies they have) and cleanup from the aftermath. They are not waiting for their government to come to take care of them (as many have expected). They are taking charge of their lives and rebuilding on their own.

I find this to be very uplifting and inspiring.

spike

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — Haitian and U.S. officials are considering a trial in the United States for 10 Americans arrested while trying to bus children out of Haiti without proper documents.

"There can be no question of taking our children off the streets and out of the country," Communications Minister Marie-Laurence Jocelin Lassegue said. "They will be judged."

The 10 Americans, who belong to a Baptist church group in Idaho, said they were trying to rescue orphans and children whose parents could not care for them. Spokeswoman Laura Silsby said relatives of the children and the head of an orphanage asked the group to take the children to a well-supplied former beach hotel in the Dominican Republic.

The group was stopped by Haitian authorities at the border and brought to Port-au-Prince.

The Haitian government insisted Monday that the Americans — however well-intentioned — must be prosecuted to send a message against child trafficking.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2010-02-02-haitiorphans_N.htm

valkyrie

They need to be prosecuted... some of those kids had families. The trial may give them a guilty verdict but it'll send a message to the people who traffic children for sex and slavery.

From another angle, I would suspect that this Baptist group was looking to indoctrinate these children into a religion with practices different from their culture. I doubt that any of the potential adopting families were willing to raise the kids with an understanding of Voodoo. ;)

MrBishop

310075.full.gif

valkyrie

Hehehe... hilarious, Bish.

The final decision is to prosecute the Baptist missionaries that were trying to take the kids across the border. This is good, because even if they get a slap on the wrist it will send a message to the truly bad guys who traffic in children will bad intent and for profit.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
They need to be prosecuted... some of those kids had families. The trial may give them a guilty verdict but it'll send a message to the people who traffic children for sex and slavery.

From another angle, I would suspect that this Baptist group was looking to indoctrinate these children into a religion with practices different from their culture. I doubt that any of the potential adopting families were willing to raise the kids with an understanding of Voodoo. ;)

The main religion of Haiti is Catholicism, at just over 80% of the population.

2minkey

bootlicker
yeah, as i mentioned in another thread... it is not the same catholicism you may know. in haiti catholicism and voodoo intermix like cousins in west virginia. in fact voodoo is syncretic, mixing west african beliefs and catholicism. "80% catholic" means 80% nominal catholic, not exclusive or real (in the sense that spiro talks about nominal vs. real) catholic.

Gotholic

yeah, as i mentioned in another thread... it is not the same catholicism you may know. in haiti catholicism and voodoo intermix like cousins in west virginia. in fact voodoo is syncretic, mixing west african beliefs and catholicism. "80% catholic" means 80% nominal catholic, not exclusive or real (in the sense that spiro talks about nominal vs. real) catholic.

I think I agree with you on that one.

Winky

Haiti: needs the KKK to help them get right with Gawd.

Gawd smited them primitive Voodoo witch doctor worshipping savages.

Winky

Haiti 230K less of em Who cares?

Minx since when is a Kenyan an American?
Oh that’s right since we elected one President, my bad.