Ham emergency!!

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
:eek: Help! I have this massive ham here, hubby has requested it for dinner, and I have no idea how long to cook it for :confuse3:

There is no label on it to say the weight It's about a foot wide, by about 8 inches high :eek: at the highest...any ideas what that weighs or an estimated cooking time? :confuse3:

just checked it again, more like a foot and a half by a foot high :eek:

G

Is cutting it up an option? One problem you may experience with one that big is that it may dry out on the outside while you are waiting on it to get done.

The only advice I can give is try to keep it from drying out. Let it go for at least an hour and check on it. I figure 2-2.5 hours is probably what you are looking at. I am not an expert, however. :eek:

Oh yeah, Anakin reminds me. Don't cook it at over 400 F. If you have a lot of time try 350-375 F. If not then go for 400 F. The higher the number the greater chance of it drying out and burning.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Thanks, s4, that's a good idea, cutting it up, I think I'll do that, cut it into more familiar sizes, then I can guess better at the cooking time.

This thing is HUGE :eek:

I think I'll go for 350, see how big the hunks I can get are, and time from there.

Thanks! :) :headbang:

Q

Most hams are fully cooked when you buy them, Check the label and see if it says that, then you just need to worry about getting it hot. I always make a glaze out of brown sugar and pineapple jiuce or apple juice to baste it. Put a little water and margarine in the bottom of the pan so the glaze doesn't burn to the bottom.

Q

I just saw the no label part of your post. Is it wet and gushy like a raw pork chop or pink and dry like a, well, a ham?:D If it's pink and dry it's cooked (smoked, which is what makes them look pink)

Where did you get this jumbo ham with no label?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
It was uncooked. Every holiday, hubby gets a seasonal hunk of meat as a part of a gift from work. Christmas was a 30lb turkey :eek: , same at Thanksgiving, Easter the monster ham. None are labelled, I assume they get them from a private butcher of some sort.

I decided on leaving it whole, cooking it on low for 4 hours. I rubbed it with brown sugar and Dijon mustard. Should be ok, hope so anyway :D

Q

yummy, the dijon brown sugar combo sounds great.
if you have a meat thermometer it should be 170º when it's done. :)

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I don't, but I've just pulled it out and it looks great, cut into it, it's steaming through, wow, luck! :D

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
s4, what's taking so long? We're hungry! :D

Prof, you like green ham? It would be by the time you got it! :D

I think I've got a few day's worth of leftovers, lol

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Would you eat them in a box? Would you eat them with a fox? Would you eat them here or there? Would you eat them anywhere? :D