Happiness is a freezer full o' Venison!

JTP

Just picked up my 2nd doe from the butcher's.
Backstrap(tenderloin), sausage and burger-woof!
I think I'm going to give at least half to my Daughter, Megan
She is in school and has a baby to feed.
Her husband is a good guy and I should probably get a little something for him
Any gift ideas for a cheap old bastard on a tight budget (me)???
I was thinking maybe a wristwatch or a wallet, but he prolly already got those
Ain't used to shopping for folks- need advice

nalani

Just picked up my 2nd doe from the butcher's.
Backstrap(tenderloin), sausage and burger-woof!
I think I'm going to give at least half to my Daughter, Megan
She is in school and has a baby to feed.
Her husband is a good guy and I should probably get a little something for him
Any gift ideas for a cheap old bastard on a tight budget (me)???
I was thinking maybe a wristwatch or a wallet, but he prolly already got those
Ain't used to shopping for folks- need advice

well, I'd give the venison to both of them and get something small for my daughter instead... something like a backpack or something she can use for school. If you have your heart set on getting him something though, a nice t-shirt will do. He's lucky his father-in-law thinks of him ;)

JTP

That's it- great advice!
I'll give him a T-shirt from Bonnaroo, give them both the venison, and instead of a rifle, I've got an old 12 gauge shotgun that I never use- they can get their own venison hereafter!
Thanks, mah frens!

2minkey

bootlicker
jerky kinda sucks though. i'm all into cured meats, but jerky... like wonderbread inteada real baguette...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Depends on how it's made. I'm fine withstraightforward jerky but some of the alternatives are awfully tasty. I prefer it to summer snausage.

JTP

Pemmican ain't bad if the blueberries are fresh. You need real bear fat to make it right, though. Stuff keeps forever if you store it in a cellar.

Frodo

My wife had a Cow Elk tag this year. Climbed to the top of the mountain behind the house and saw 3 nice bulls within easy shootin range and one cow up on a ridge 500yds away staring at us. Next day we saw nothing. Third hunting day we drove out to the back roads and kicked up a single in the dark timber (probably a spike bull).

Two days after the season my wife called me at work to say there were 4 cow Elk 100yds from our front door and the dog can't even get them to move!! AAARRRRGGGHHH!! How do they know when the hunting season is???

Dave

I tried venison once. It wasn't bad but its unlikely I'll try some again. I don't hunt and the stores don't sell it.

Cerise

I hit a venison with a vehicle a couple weeks ago. At least, it became venison for the coyotes. It came running out of a cornfield at night, I slowed down to 40mph, but couldn't avoid hitting it.

Awwww. Poor little thing. Just like Flag, only bigger.

It launched 20 feet onto the north shoulder of the highway. That makes #4 in the past 20 years: the previous contacts were deer running into a door or fender and bouncing off to live to be a hazard another day.