Harry Pothead & the something or other *spoilers*

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
My kid finally (with a little fatherly prodding) has taken up reading for pleasure. Upon reading, after watching, the first Harry Potter books, he's hooked. Now he wants to go see this new movie.

Where's The Matrix & Tolkien when I need 'em? ;)

secretly thought the first 3 movies weren't half bad

HomeLAN

Re: Harry Pothead & the something or other

He's what, 11 or 12? See if you can get him into the Belgariad by Eddings. 5 books, with a 5 book sequel, other series by the same guy, you could keep him busy for months. First book is Pawn of Prophecy.

Should be about the right age. I think I was about 13.

rrfield

Screw the kid up good. Kurt Vonnegut and George Orwell.

Bobby Hogg

Get him to read "His Dark Materials" by Phillip Pullman. Great books. Had a big effect on me when I read them.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

rrfield said:
Screw the kid up good. Kurt Vonnegut and George Orwell.

Don't forget the Exorcist. I read that, Slaughterhouse 5, Animal Farm & 1984 by 14.

12, as of last Sept.

MrBishop

Edgar Rice Burroughs

Tarzan series, the Martian Chronicles etc etc... Small books, easy reading and imaginative!

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member

Harry is gonna end up being a mandatory viewing here. That's ok, they're pretty good. I like them being able to be fanciful.

BeardofPants

Make sure you make him read The Hobbit, and if he finds that okay, then pull out LOTR.

Narnia series as well, although he might be a bit "old" for them.

Second the "His Dark Materials" suggestion, and also put forward the Old Kingdom trilogy by Garth Nix. :)

HomeLAN

Get him into Bradbury and Asimov as well, if he likes sci fi.

chcr

Too cute for words

BeardofPants said:
and Herbert! Dune should be compulsory reading.
Have you read "The White Plague?" Herbert's best book, IMO (not that big a "Dune" fan)

Gonz, I can't believe no one has mentioned the Heinlein juveniles. A whole mess of sci-fi books aimed specifically at his age group. Some don't hold up that well (mostly written in the '50s and '60s) but most of them are fine and every one is a good story.

I would add Larry Niven to Asimov and Bradbury as well. Hard science fiction is my favorite.

:nerd:

unclehobart

Being a typical 'merican kid, just be glad he can read.

I say go 'old school'. Give the lil' kneebiter a few stacks of Playboys from the 70s to paw through.

Tonks suggests Piers Anthony (Xanth), and CS Lewis (Narnia series).

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

BeardofPants said:
Make sure you make him read The Hobbit, and if he finds that okay, then pull out LOTR.

Read to him as the first of the movies was released.

We saw it...very dark, not for younger young'uns. To many questions left unanswered.

Starya

Oh, we're looking forward to seeing the latest HP-movie. :D

The latest book is coming out in Norwegian these days, about time. He hasn't read much since the last one came out, except from Phenomena, by a Norwegian author.

He's had the Hobbit on his shelf for some time, started on it a couple of times, but put it aside. He's hooked on manga these days.

Altron

Seven Towers or whatnot by Garth Nix, the one with the kid living in the castle with seven towers and stuff.
A third reccomendation for Philip Pullman. I started reading that in 4th or 5th grade. I've been meaning to reread them. I got through the first two but I've heard that there are sequels, so I want to refresh my memory with the first two then see if the sequels are any good.
Also the Chronicles of Narnia. Actually, I think I've only read two of them. Gotta do that once I finish Philip Pullman, after finishing Terry Goodkind again. I love it. I can read a book, then in several years, only vaguely remember the plot, then read it again. Which also reminds me, I need to find the URL for the Terry Goodkind forum and try to remember my username and password...

Ok, now I've got some questions. There were two series of books which I can only vaguely remember.

There was one where a few kids are living in the burbs, then they find out about some alien guy, so they build a rocket ship and fly to an invisible moon orbiting earth.

There was another where a chick was living this with this guy who made all sorts of disguises, and there was a deaf guy in the basement carving picture frames.

If anyone has any idea what either of these could be, please tell me! They were in the back room of the elementary school library, and I thoroughly enjoyed them. If only the kids and their computers hadn't taken over libraries. A library is a place for books, reading, and learning, not for computers.

Winky

My kid had to do a book report for his private middle school in seventh grade,
the little Cossack choose a thousand page plus book on Josef Stalin.

Old Joe has been one of his role models ever since.

Of course this is the same poor kid that was made to read
nearly the whole unabridged Webster’s dictionary @ age nine and went to ASU in fifth grade...

A.B.Normal

MrBishop said:
Edgar Rice Burroughs

Tarzan series, the Martian Chronicles etc etc... Small books, easy reading and imaginative!

Hell ,a little William S. Burroughs I say. :evilcool:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member

chcr said:
Have you read "The White Plague?" Herbert's best book, IMO (not that big a "Dune" fan)

Ever read Soul Catcher?

chcr said:
Gonz, I can't believe no one has mentioned the Heinlein juveniles. A whole mess of sci-fi books aimed specifically at his age group. Some don't hold up that well (mostly written in the '50s and '60s) but most of them are fine and every one is a good story.

I would add Larry Niven to Asimov and Bradbury as well. Hard science fiction is my favorite.

:nerd:

What about the Co-Dominium Novels? There's also David Drake for action Sci-Fi...

chcr

Too cute for words

Okay, went and saw it. A lot darker than the previous ones, but so was the book. The effects on the fight with the dragon on the big screen are worth the price of admission. Other than that, it wasn't a waste of money.