Hate when that happens

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Exactly where did I say I supported it? I said it's there, and that it's the motto.

For the record, I support the national motto being on the national currency. I have no problem with In God We Trust being our national motto either. It has a nice ring to it. Too bad it's no longer true, but it sounds nice, doesn't it?

And we never had a civil war either. Definitions, man, definitions.

catocom

Bobby Hogg said:
The moral conviction of God is questionable.
Through many different statements you've made, but especially this one.
One who believes in God, and loves God, I don't thing would have made such a statement.

Bobby Hogg

catocom said:
Through many different statements you've made, but especially this one.
One who believes in God, and loves God, I don't thing would have made such a statement.

Hardly. I was merely asking which version of God you believe you have the moral conviction of. It is questionable, there are clearly at least two main depictions of God given by the Bible: the tribal war God of the Hebrews and the God of Christ.

catocom

Bobby Hogg said:
Hardly. I was merely asking which version of God you believe you have the moral conviction of. It is questionable, there are clearly at least two main depictions of God given by the Bible: the tribal war God of the Hebrews and the God of Christ.
but the latter is what has been stated many times as to what this country was founded on.
You couldn't put 2+2 together before asking such a question?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Bobby Hogg said:
Hardly. I was merely asking which version of God you believe you have the moral conviction of.

In God We Trust...in God You Question.

See, it all fits.

flavio

Banned
catocom said:
but the latter is what has been stated many times as to what this country was founded on.
But there's evidence that the country was founded on paganism. Not the christian god.

It's funny to see all the warhawks talk as if they're religious though.

catocom

flavio said:
But there's evidence that the country was founded on paganism. Not the christian god.

I'm not even going to ask you yo prove that one. I know better than to believe it though.

So I'll leave you with it on that note.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Once again, for those who care to know the truth...

The Federalist Papers. The discussions on the Constitution by the men who wrote the Constitution. Read it. (I own a hardback copy)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
flavio said:

:rofl4: You are funneh...:rofl4:

flavio

Banned
catocom said:
Yeah I know.
I didn't believe any of your radical left wing links there either.
Oh, you have the rose colored glasses firmly in place that makes anything you don't want to believe "radical" and "left wing"? I had thought you were into intelligent discussion for some reason.

catocom

flavio said:
Oh, you have the rose colored glasses firmly in place that makes anything you don't want to believe "radical" and "left wing"? I had thought you were into intelligent discussion for some reason.
I don't believe "most" things that are "radical" left or right. (especially on the web)
I'm open-minded on certain subjects, and very closed-minded on others.
*sings* "If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything"

"intelligent discussion" is in the perception. Take it or leave, it's just entertainment for me most of the time.

Besides I haven't taken my pills today, and I'm a little cloudy sure enough. :p

Bobby Hogg

catocom said:

So how the USA, your government and the nation as a whole, is run in such a way that you believe Jesus Christ would approve? Or, again, is it that you believe God is directing your nation to act as it does?

Bobby Hogg

Gonz said:
In God We Trust...in God You Question.

See, it all fits.

I don't question God, since God doesn't answer. I question your idea of God. Specifically, why you invoke God in your national motto. What's the harm in asking?

catocom

Bobby Hogg said:
So how the USA, your government and the nation as a whole, is run in such a way that you believe Jesus Christ would approve? Or, again, is it that you believe God is directing your nation to act as it does?
I see it simply as a guideline, to do our best to follow what we believe his path would be for us according to his teachings.
Indeed our representatives, and we the people are not perfect. Some are even
unethical, but we should always strive to do the right things.
There is quite a disagreement as to how things should be dealt with.
That's the great thing about democracy though, one person doesn't make all thew decisions.

Bobby Hogg

catocom said:
I see it simply as a guideline, to do our best to follow what we believe his path would be for us according to his teachings.
Indeed our representatives, and we the people are not perfect. Some are even
unethical, but we should always strive to do the right things.
There is quite a disagreement as to how things should be dealt with.
That's the great thing about democracy though, one person doesn't make all thew decisions.

Several people make the important decisions, though they've all got quite a lot of money behind them.

No nation is run in an ethical manner. I would put it to you that invoking God in your national motto is an insult to God if your nation fails to do everything it possibly can to operate under Christian values.

That would mean looking after the poor and the needy first and foremost, outlawing execution and abortion. It would also mean taking a pacificist approach to confrontation at all times and removing the accumulation of wealth and possessions as the purpose of life from society.

It would mean lifting unfair aid/trade agreements with third world nations, ending the international arms trade and ending unfathomable other un-Christian activities that the world economy revolves around.

It's simply not concievable in the modern world to run a country with Christian values. Then again, it's not supposed to be easy. Eternal life, closeness to God is the reward for suffering on Earth, supposedly, so if it were simple then everyone would be doing it.

I do believe that Jesus Christ did give us the basis in His words for a heaven on Earth. The afterlife, I'm not so sure, but as a philosophical theory, Christianity is a great idea. Just a pity we'll probably never implement it.