Having your cake and eating it, too?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
So...if this can happen, why can't the Citidal return to all male???

WASHINGTON, May 8 — As its name implies, all 370 students at The Young Women’s Leadership School are girls. They wear uniforms and call teachers by their first names. Last year, all 32 seniors went on to college. This year, all 34 are expected to do the same. But this isn’t a private school — it’s a public school in the Harlem section of New York City serving a mix of rich and poor students, almost all of whom are black, Asian or Hispanic.

FOR ALL OF its six years, the school has essentially been operating under the radar of federal regulations, which prohibit public schools from discriminating on the basis of sex.
Advocates of single-sex education say things are about to change.
New guidelines on the legality of single-sex schools and classrooms, to be issued Wednesday, could pave the way for other schools like The Young Women’s Leadership School. Only 10 single-sex public schools exist now, with two more expected to open this fall, according to Dr. Leonard Sax, a psychologist and physician who heads the National Association for the Advancement of Single Sex Public Education.
The Harlem school currently has a waiting list of 1,200 for three ninth-grade slots, said guidance counselor Chris Farmer.

Source...

G

It doesn't work that way. It's politically correct for women and minories to have their own groups but not males and whites. Look at the United Negro College Fund. You think a white guy can apply and get help from them? We talked about this at Xibase.

It's just way society is. Everything has to be politically correct.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Bingo.

Women, minorities, gays, etc... They have it all. Financial aid, right not to get offended, political pull since they're either a minority or have been treated unfairly in the .

I'm a poor 17 year old straight white male with a lot of ideas on how the world could improve, and I've been offended plenty of times. I'm just a webmaster.

If I were a poor 17 year old lesbian black woman, I'd be the friggin' president of the USA by now.

Call me blind, but I just don't see why, after all the work we've put into creating an equal society, there still exists all this imagined separation between different ethnicities, gender, sexualities, and monetary worth.

Gato_Solo

*ahem* Males and whites have enjoyed priviledge over and above all others for the past 400 or so years...

That being the bait, I'll explain myself.

In the early 1900’s, one of the most prolific Black Communities in the history of America existed in the Tulsa, Oklahoma called, “ BLACK WALLSTREET!” A small population of Blacks built what was to become the most prosperous and highly successful Black Community in the history of America! As a result of The 1921 Tulsa Race Riots, the entire city called “ BLACK WALLSTREET was completely burned to the ground by the Ku Klux Klan and other local hate groups! A major Black Economic Movement that would have emulated itself across America was halted and ultimately destroyed!… But what if those highly educated, highly creative and wealthy Blacks had not been stopped? What if they would have turned the tides around?

Black society in the US has still not recovered...Source.

The long saga of the Rodney King beating can be told in what seems to be a series of unfortunate coincidences and ironies.

If only George Holliday hadn't had a video recorder on hand to tape the beating on March 3, 1991. If only Los Angeles police officer Laurence Powell had been pulled off the beat earlier that night for failing an on-the-spot test of his baton skills.

If only Superior Court Judge Stanley Weisberg had followed appeals court rulings precisely and moved the trial outside of the reach of the L.A. media, instead of suburban Simi Valley. If only the LAPD and city officials had heeded community suspicions that riots were likely in the event of an acquittal in the trial of the four officers that assaulted King: Powell, Stacey Koon, Theodore Briseno and Timothy Wind.

If only Rodney King had followed police commands to stop resisting arrest.

On April 29, 1992, the acquittal in California v. Powell, et al. unleashed the rage of many in L.A. who believed justice would always remain out of reach. After six years, two trials and the horrific riots that shocked the nation, it is still difficult to understand why so much about the King incident went wrong.
Source...

WASHINGTON — Citing a newly released study saying minorities get the lion’s share of high interest rate home loans made to borrowers with blemished credit, an influential U.S. Senator Wednesday plans to introduce legislation clamping down on abusive lending practices.

Source...

Near the beginning of the 20th Century African-Americans were so demonized lynching them became a common practice. The mob murders of black people even became a popular form of entertainment in some regions of the country. The extent of that popularity is revealed in a new book entitled "Without Sanctuary: Lynching Photography in America." The shocking collection on which the book is based is showing at the New York Historical Society and has attracted such large crowds it has been extended to July 9.

Source...

The "Color of Money" articles on racial discrimination in mortgage lending received the Pulitzer Prize for investigative reporting in 1989. They are reprinted here with permission from The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitution.

Too many small items to list, but here is the source...

Now, I'm no liberal by any stretch of the imagination, but if you don't see a pattern here, then you are either blind, or you don't want to see. I think that all men should be treated equally, to be sure, but that was not, and in some instances still isn't the case. Level the field, and you'll hear the complaints and the whines disappear.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The KKK burned that town down on their own will. They were never told to do that by the whites who HAVE sense. The KKK should be KKKilled. They claimed to be fighting for whites, but they were just trying to find excuses to kill. They did not kill blacks, they killed human beings. Regardless of skin color, it is not right to kill, no matter what they think. In this era of enlightenment, most people have realized that racism is, and should forever be, a thing of the past.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The field is level. Too many want to whine about oppresion and not get off their ass & do what ever it takes to get themselves & their community out of poverty. Fuck sports stars, they're just trained monkeys. Where are the black nobel laureates in science? How about pulitzer prize winning authors? Change the direction of the community & the people change with it.

That is changing. Over the last 30 years, black America has experienced phenomenal growth in both its business leadership class and its actual number of millionaires. These self-employed entrepreneurs and corporate executives have come to be defined by what is now acknowledged as the "New Black Power." As the August 1997 Fortune magazine proclaimed, from Wall Street to Hollywood, a new generation of African-Americans is seizing real power in the world of business. Within the music industry, young hip-hop artists are using hit records as a stepping-stone to business development and ownership. They are ambitious on a scale their predecessors never dared to reach for, and the most savvy members of the generation understand, in no uncertain terms, that money is power. It is this generations’ focus on wealth accumulation that distinguishes them from their predecessors.

As this generation of black millionaires turns to philanthropy, however, their legacy remains to be seen. In many ways these hip-hop entrepreneurs are no different from their white Generation X dot-com counterparts. They look at business and government differently than their parents, preferring a new ethic of self-reliance. Lacking confidence in government’s ability to solve problems or guarantee a secure economic future, white Internet entrepreneurs and black hip-hop entrepreneurs believe in ownership, money and clout. The members of this generation will undoubtedly have the means to finance a new movement for justice and equality; whether or not they do so depends on their ability to build networks and institutions that combine hip-hop sensibilities with a broader understanding of how wealth and power operate in society at large.

http://www.charityvillage.com/charityvillage/research/rphl10.html

Q

I heard on the radio yesterday that some high school in Georgia had it's first interracial prom this year :eek:

HomeLAN

Gato, you've got some good points, but some others can be brought up to refute. Ever know anyone who was passed over for promotion simply because he was a whit male? I have.

Oh, and BTW, you lost me when you brought up Rodney King.

If only Rodney King had followed police commands to stop resisting arrest.

[Gump]And that's all I have to say about that.[/Gump]

Gato_Solo

That one clause of 'resisting arrest' happened about halfway through the beating...when he appeared to 'rush' one of the policemen. The main reason I put most of this out was to show that injustice still exists. It's easy to say that 'all that happened in the past', but some of those things I put up are still happening. I would've put the URL for the 'New England Journal of Medicine' stating that minorities get the worst health care per tax bracket, but I'm not a member of the AMA, nor do I have a subscription to the NEJM, so I couldn't get the article from there. I had to find it here. I don't blame white males of today for the system of yesterday. I do, however, hold society as a whole responsible for the system in place today. When fury says a black lesbian has a better chance of being president than he does, it only makes my point for me. ;)

Fury...You're a good kid, and you sound quite intelligent when you don't let your emotions speak for you. Try not to exaggerate so much, and your arguments would be much better, and more convincing. ;)

HomeLAN...You know I don't jump out and say things like this for no reason. I state the facts, and try to get other folks take on them. I also try to explain, very carefully, how I see things as well. As for being passed over because of race, I know of quite a few black men who were passed over for the same reason.

Gonzo...The field is most definitely not level. One side, or the other, has always been in a dominant position. We, at the worker end of the scale, tend to see things from a very skewed perspective. It's not really a race issue at all. This is a class issue. The best way to keep yourself in power is to have the people who don't have what you've got fighting over what's left. Every once in a while, the rich will throw us a few crumbs, just to keep the party going, but it all comes down to the same thing. Who has the money and the power, and who doesn't.