Help (kind of an emergency)

Professur

What you're looking for is solid pings. Once you're go those, you've removed hardware as a problem. No?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I was a DOS junkie when I was 7. I didn't have complicated stuff to deal with like networks though. :mope:

Professur

OK, just load dos, load a tcpip driver, and try to ping a local machine. If you get a solid ping, we'll move on from there. No solid ping, you're looking hardware, cause you've nothing else loaded to make a conflict.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Great. Now our network's gone on the fritz. No computers can see each other now. :cuss:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday all our computers saw each other and could get on the internet. Now none of them see each other, but all of them get on the internet. This one I'm trying to fix can't do either.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
It just suddenly didn't work today. I don't know how. Can you tell I'm not a network guy?

brainsoft

It sounds like a router problem or something.

You may look into netbios and/or IPX/SPX. Maybe if you can set up the network using netbios instead of TCP/IP you can eliminate hardware as the problem (if it works in netbios).

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
That type of problems drive me mad, now do the obvious and try a different cable, or run the puter from another location.

It could be the nic, it could be windows, it could be the cable, it could be the router or it could be that somebody has been playing with the layer 3 of the hub/switch.

Mirlyn

Could it be a bad/missing WINS server?

If he formatted, and could not get it to work immediately after the format, then it shouldn't be software. If he replaced cables and NICs, then it shouldn't be those. I'd say bad port on the router (but he said a known good computer works fine on that jack) or bad dhcp/dns/wins/whatever.

Can you release/renew ok? How about assigning yourself an IP (in the range, of course), same problems? Disable everything on the motherboard (serial ports, parallel ports, sound/vidoe/nic/usb, whatever you dont' use to free up conflicts). Hard-reset the router/hub/whatever to clear any bad tables/ports I guess. :confuse2:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Luis G said:
now do the obvious and try a different cable, or run the puter from another location.
I did both of those things.

I could release and renew just fine. I haven't tried assigning myself an IP but I'm not sure how that would affect it. The motherboard's sound was automatically disabled when the addon sound card was put in and the sound is the only thing integrated on the board. As far as device manager goes, there were no conflicts at all. I reset the router a number of times and even the DSL modem.

Well, we've switched out every single solitary part now and the problem still exists.

Brand new hard drive, motherboard, XP 2200+, switched in different memory (which required to underclock to 1500+ at 100fsb), new network card, not-new but different video card.

Still the same problem. Slow or nonfunctional networking. :(

Well, the DOS network client install was unsuccessful, so I switched the hard drive out into another computer (with the same mobo).

Everything (including network connectivity) worked perfectly except the registry (apparently, the hard drive is bad :tardbang: )

So I put in a new hard drive and I'm installing Windblows on that, at least I hope...

The new motherboard was what was bad. I fixed it, I fixed it! :beerbang:

Of course, now one of our PC's is out of a motherboard, but hey, treat the customers needs before your own eh? :beerbang:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
so you replaced a bad mobo with another bad one? maybe you guys should think about another supplier.

* puts goat blood back in the fridge