Help - PC keeps locking up/restarting

Raven

Annoying SOB
I'm having a wee bit of trouble with my PC at the moment. It keeps either locking up completely or attempts to BSOD, fails utterly and instantly restarts. I'm sure its my GFX card on account of I can leave my PC idle all night and it'll be fine if I turn the monitor and screensaver off, but it will intermittently hang with the screen saver on but hangs much more often when doing something more graphics intensive.

Is there any way to determine whether the problem is caused by the card itself (GeForce 5600 FX 256 meg) or if it's the AGP slot its plugged into? I know its not a driver issue as I have tried several versions of the official drivers and I'm using the latest Omega drivers right now and still have the same problem. Ideas?

Raven

Annoying SOB
I am now headbutting the desk and wondering why on earth that was not the second thing I tried. Thanks Mir, I'll try that one :)

catocom

eh, yeah it could be the vid card, but with high heat (newer) vid cards,
they put off more heat, and I have seen comp with a failing cpu fan that
would be runnable until a new card was added, and then that put it over the top.
I'd look also at the cpu fan. ;)

Raven

Annoying SOB
catocom said:
eh, yeah it could be the vid card, but with high heat (newer) vid cards,
they put off more heat, and I have seen comp with a failing cpu fan that
would be runable until a new card was added, and then that put it over the top.
I'd look also at the cpu fan. ;)
Checked the CPU and NB fans and temps.....running at 4000rpm/49 degrees C and 5800/48 degrees C respectively, not the best temps ever but the same as they have been since before I got the card in may of last year.

Raven

Annoying SOB
It is, as far as I can remember (and after having checked the site I bought it from :D) an Asus A7V8X-X based on the VIA KT400 chipset (also not the chipset driver either....I just got the latest VIA Hyperion drivers). This is a new-ish mobo though, only having been bought 3 months ago to replace one with blown PCI ports.

PostCode

Major contributor!
First, it is BSODing, but it's restarting like it supposed to do. You can turn this off by right clicking on My Computer, Select Properties, then click on the Advanced Tab, or just open the System Proerties in the Control Panel.

In here click on the Settings button for Startup and Recovery. In here, uncheck the Automatically Restart option in the lower System Failure area.

Now, upon encountering a BSOD, the system will stop there. This will allow you to examine the STOP message and you might determine what might be causing the issue.

In addition to trying a nother AGP device, you might try installing different drivers for the video card, installing newer drivers for the chipset, or trying older driver for one or the other or both.

Mirlyn

Might be a faulting PSU too. Seen that several times myself, although it usually doesn't result in a BSOD. Could though.

catocom

Mirlyn said:
Might be a faulting PSU too. Seen that several times myself, although it usually doesn't result in a BSOD. Could though.
That was my next thought too. :)
I still think that chipset temp is high.

What is the bios temp set to for the chipset Raven?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
When my wifes did this, I tried everything & ended up with the old standby...FULL INSTALL. It hasn't done it since.

Raven

Annoying SOB
Um......fuck shit and bollocks....

I have just started my PC from cold after it having been off all night......the CPU temp is at 51 degrees which will drop but is too damn high and the PWM temp which I'm guessing is the PSU temp is at 6fucking2 degrees. It's never run that hot before......thats normally around the 45 to 48 mark. Seeing as I run my PC with its case sides off and the window wide open (with it being like 3 degrees outside) I'm struggling to think of how it is getting that high.....

Winky

very simple really
what is the cpu utilization percentage in task manager
the only way I can generate those kinda temps is under FULL LOAD!

Raven

Annoying SOB
Both PS fans are spinning:- ones sucking, ones blowing but there was a hell of a lot of dust on the intake fan. With that being on the bottom I couldnt see that until I turned the tower on its side....needless to say all fans and heatsinks involved have just had a small vaccum cleaner applied to them.

Winky, I sure as hell hope it is a full load when it's doing it on games like Doom3 and Unreal 2 ;)

chcr

Too cute for words
Raven said:
Both PS fans are spinning:- ones sucking, ones blowing but there was a hell of a lot of dust on the intake fan. With that being on the bottom I couldnt see that until I turned the tower on its side....needless to say all fans and heatsinks involved have just had a small vaccum cleaner applied to them.

Winky, I sure as hell hope it is a full load when it's doing it on games like Doom3 and Unreal 2 ;)

We run a bunch of PCs (two per location) in the shops of our tire stores. I have run into the dust clogging problem several times. They don't spontaneously reboot but then they're mostly Win 98 machines (couple of 95s and 3.11s in the mix). The rebooting is probably what Postcode said, that's what it's supposed to do. Win 98 machines just stop responding then go BSOD after a while. Hope that fixes the problem.

Raven

Annoying SOB
Nope just had another one......it only actually restarts very infrequently, most of the time it just totally locks up and I manually have to power off. I have however turned off auto restart to see if that has any effect on the situation.

Noticed something interesting in the BIOS though.....I have my CPU core voltage set to 1.65v but in the PC Health screen of the BIOS its reading as 1.88v.....could that be affecting the heat etc?

Winky

Oh I'm sorry I thought you were complaining aboot high temps at idle at startup. So if you have some process that is stuck at 100% ALL THE TIME then you might um like have high temperatures.

As a for example at idle me compy has the following temps:
CPU 50C Fan speed 1580 RPM
Northbridge 37
Case 27
floored using 'CPU Burn-in'
CPU 64C Fan speed 3860 RPM (could run 4400)
NB 45 and climbing
Case normally heats up like five or six degrees
and that's with the side OFF!

So what I was trying to import to you is…

is like um the CPU at like um full load? And like what does it look like in taskmanager and stuff?