Here's a new one

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The boy got a PNY 9800 GTX+ for x-mas. We had to up his power supply too.

Installed, everythign is running top notch & it's a beautiful display.

When he goes to shut it down, the CPU, rear exhaust, PSU & video card fans go into high mode. The system shuts down but the fans run, (all night last night). It powers up ok. It runs ok. It shuts down ok, except the fans. When it's running, the fans are (apparently) temp controlled, they're less noisy when the system is on than when it's off. We can flip the PSU switch & they go off but in normal shutdown mode, they run.

Dug thru the BIOS - nothing. Looked around for any manual fan control - nothing.

Any ideas?

Mirlyn

Is the CPU driven by motherboard headers, or directly from the supply? Are the fans plugged into fan-only supply connectors, or on the usual 12/5v connectors?

Can you go back to the old card with new supply and see if the problem sticks around?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The old psu doesn't have enough juice for the new card. All fan are on mobo headers. The old "card" was integrated.

Winky

Troubleshooting 101

First off I'd say change the Video cards driver or
the card is pooched RMA it.

As usual I agree with Mir not enough information provided.

The fan that keeps running is the cooling fan on the video card Right
the power lead for this fan is connected to a header on the video card
and not the mother board Right?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The card fan runs.
The CPU fan runs.
The rear exhaust fan runs.
the PSU fan runs.

Yea, the 6-point connector is to the card.

Winky

You say that when you shut down the comp
the cooling fan on the Vid card continues to run???

That's some whacked shitte!

*thinks to self, where is the power coming from to run the card powered down*

New power supply?

Try a new Vid driver?
Can't try anther power supply as you haven't one with enough Omph
The card may need to be RMA'd? Contact PNY support Monday see
if this has happened to anyone else, it's weird fer sure.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
New Ultra 650W...that's my guess.

Not only does the GPU fan run, it runs faster than when it's powered up & being used...Strange daze indeed

Winky

yer not making a lotta sense here

Many cooling fan speed controls have a built in feature
here lemme open speedfan

yeah there it is right there in the options:

"set fans to 100% on exit"

Gonz sed:When he goes to shut it down, the CPU, rear exhaust, PSU & video card fans go into high mode.
The system shuts down but the fans run, (all night last night).

So get into the software and poke around Homey Doit!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Runs about 1500RPM when powered & in use. Nice & quiet. Setting it to run at 100%, it is noisy as hell. Just like when it gets shut off. Not set to run at 100% on exit.

Mirlyn

Got another PSU, or will his card work in another case? Isolating the two somehow would give more direction.

I've seen case and PSU fans run on shutdown/standby, but never CPU or GPU fans.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
The boy got a PNY 9800 GTX+ for x-mas. We had to up his power supply too.

Installed, everythign is running top notch & it's a beautiful display.

When he goes to shut it down, the CPU, rear exhaust, PSU & video card fans go into high mode. The system shuts down but the fans run, (all night last night). It powers up ok. It runs ok. It shuts down ok, except the fans. When it's running, the fans are (apparently) temp controlled, they're less noisy when the system is on than when it's off. We can flip the PSU switch & they go off but in normal shutdown mode, they run.

Dug thru the BIOS - nothing. Looked around for any manual fan control - nothing.

Any ideas?

Check the installation CD for a timer or summat. My Radeon came with a 'configurator' prog that will let me set the fans, etc. Perhaps NVidia has a similar setup...:shrug:

Winky

that's what I said, try that
still not sure how power gets to the card
when the PC is powered down?

tomorrow a quick call to PNY support is in order

could an RMA be looming in the future?

Mirlyn

The fact that it runs ALL the fans nearly completely rules out a driver/software issue, and sounds more like a hardware issue.

ResearchMonkey

I have trouble sleeping with out the comforting hummmmm of my fans. Albeit they aren't whizzzing hard unless I have a render underway.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Removed the card from the mobo. No fan on shutdown. Plug it back in & WHOILA, there's the airport.