hey inky

Inkara1

I still have to use a flash. I broke the Tamron lens by dropping the camera getting out of my car while chasing a fire, so I bought an old Sigma lens on eBay for like $90 shipped that has similar specifications. Turns out the Sigma (and the Tamron) can do manual... that's what the m/s/c switch on the camera body is for. The Nikon lens it came with just happens to also have a manual/auto switch on it in addition to the one on the camera.

If you have a lens that will go to a 2.8 f-stop or lower you're golden. Mine will only go down to like 4.5 (and when zoomed in all the way it will only go down to a 6 f-stop) so a flash is needed. In the years since that post, I've gotten better at anticipating the shot.

Here are a couple of shots from last year that are pretty typical of what I end up with at games. I didn't brighten them to post here so you can see as much of the truth as possible; for the printed page, I open it in photoshop, use curves until it looks good on the screen (now a 19" iMac from January 2007), go to shadow/highlight and up the shadow by 15 percent or so, convert to CMYK color, up brightness by 10 and contrast by 6, then save as a .tif image.

Mirlyn

Those are pretty good. Do you use an external flash?

I'm not sure offhand how fast our Tamron is, but it can't be much different (70-300mm for the Canon, with AF/MF).

There's a local lens rental company I'm eyeing to try some new lenses.

Inkara1

I use a Nikon Speedlight SB-80DX that sits in the hot shoe on the top of the camera body. Surprisingly, though, I can actually get shots to be usable with the built-in flash if need be (but flash recharge time is really slow and I can't take another shot at all until it recharges). In the flash, I have four Ni-MH batteries.

Mirlyn

Sounds very similar to my Speedlite 430EX. It's pretty lenient on the redeye, but it does happen.

I'm looking at the Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5. Not sure if its going to be fast enough for low-light indoor photography though.

Inkara1

If I hadn't seen the jet-powered loo on facebook already, I'd think it was a porta-potty with a poo cannon.