Hey S&P....

alex

I did some dirt fishing down by the Coosa River last weekend on some land my Step Dad owns. This area is mostly know for Emma Sampson who showed Nathan B. Forrest (I think it was him) across the Coosa River. It was trecherous land. There is and old 'railroad bed' (I don't think it was actually a railroad, probably more like a logging road with rail cars maybe) that follows the river. The only significant find of the day was this Civil War bullet. Any idea what caliber? It's a little bigger round than a pencil so I figure it a pistol bullet.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
How do you distinguish between real civil war bullets and bullets made recently to mimic civil war bullets?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I have no earthly idea, but I will give you one piece of advice.

My ex-father in law was a War of Northern Aggression (the proper name for the conflict...) collector, and he was a crook. He would find pieces of swords or spurs or what have you, and solder or weld them together, then brush them up and bury them in his yard for a few years. Then he'd sell them to the unsuspecting as authentic. Despicable.

So if you take it anywhere for appraisal, beware.

alex

How do you distinguish between real civil war bullets and bullets made recently to mimic civil war bullets?

You probably couldn't......but a fired bullet 6 inches deep in the ground in the middle of nowheresville in very rough terrain? I'm betting it's authentic. It almost appears as though it was a hollow point. Not sure if that's from impact though.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Were you digging? If so, why? If not, how did you find it 6" deep in the ground?