Hole in one

Professur

NASA (those rocket scientists) are opting to bring the shuttle Enveadour back through the atmosphere with a 3.5" hole in it's bottom end.... despite the fact that they have a repair kit on board to fix exactly this sort of damage.

Sort of like having your boss tell you to take the company truck out for one more delivery .... before the needed brake work is done.

catocom

lol, From the title, and what with all the spam, and commercials,
I fully expected this thread to be something about 'male enhancement'.:laugh:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I think its an attempt to finish killing off the shuttle fleet in order to fund their 'Orion' project...

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
NASA (those rocket scientists) are opting to bring the shuttle Enveadour back through the atmosphere with a 3.5" hole in it's bottom end.... despite the fact that they have a repair kit on board to fix exactly this sort of damage.

Sort of like having your boss tell you to take the company truck out for one more delivery .... before the needed brake work is done.

For several years I bet the same happened and no shuttle disintegrated when entering the atmosphere.

Seriously, I'm still skeptical that it was the cause for the Columbia accident.

Professur

Luis, I know people who drive about with burned out brakes on their cars. It's one thing to do it without understanding. It's another to do it when you damn well know the brakes are finished and you can't stop in time... and then try to race the red light too.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
By all means, I'm not implying that they should not pay attention to such details.

I'm just saying that IMO the NASA is making a big deal out of it, when in fact it might not be that important.

chcr

Too cute for words
For several years I bet the same happened and no shuttle disintegrated when entering the atmosphere.

Seriously, I'm still skeptical that it was the cause for the Columbia accident.

Has more to do with where it is than what kind of damage.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I thought this thread was about Courtney Love & her wide-brim husband Kurt.

Altron

Being that I don't know nearly enough about physics or the design of the Shuttle to speculate on how that damage may have affected it, I won't.

The only reference I can consult is a book I once read by a NASA engineer, where, among other things, he stated that the shuttles were a lot tougher than anyone made them out to be, and that they had never really been tested to their limits. Of course, this was pre-Columbia, so who knows?

tonksy

BTW appropos of nothing but does anyone know where you can buy the pink and purple duct tape? I needed it for girl scout camp this summer and couldn't find it.

unclehobart

We just picked up a lime green and pink roll at a Wallgreen's. Now we just have to stash it away for the next 10 months.