Housing slump hits

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
People can criticize NY all they want

Thanks, I will. :evilcool:

There is something to be said for the struggle. It makes you appreciate the end result that much more.

Amen sister. I lived by that very philosophy when I was a starvin college kid. I hated having to live on Ramen noodles and shoplifted Chef Boyardee, but I knew even then that it was all a part of a bigger plan. I actually relished the hard times to some degree, knowing it would all pay off. And it ain't like I'm gettin rich now either, but I ain't had bite one of Ramen noodles since I walked that stage.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Gato: I was talking about renting, and I was talking about renting in a city that is currently booming. There are places, outside Calgary, where it's much much much cheaper to live. That said, for someone who works in the city there's more factors than just rent cost if one is going to add a commute to their day (time loss, gas cost, etc)

AB: $22.50 an hour is more than someone who works in retail, or at a coffee shop or anything like that is gonna make. The highest I've seen is $17/hr for a nighttime receiver/stocker at a grocery store here (and that's already WAY higher than you'd find in Ontario). It's more than our administrative assistants make at my office...are there jobs that pay more? Yes, I have one of them...but not everyone could find one...they're not that plentiful.

In response to Greenie's comments about what one can afford: The sad thing is that apartments around here are seeming to start at $1050 for a one bedroom and $1300 for a two bedroom. I can afford that, and will pay it if I have to. The thing that gets me is...a lot of people can't afford it because they just don't make enough money...affordable rent is a real issue here. Also, just because I can afford it doesn't mean I want to pay it. I'd much rather live somewhere with a few less ammenities (most of the buildings were built in the boom of the 70s and have huge suites, pools in the building, squash courts, etc) and pay a little less rent so I could put some away to buy my own place one day. It bothers me that the baseline rent is so high, it doesn't give people many options. I mean, even the buildings that are sketchy and "not safe" according to my co-worker cost the same...

greenfreak

Thanks, I will. :evilcool:

I ain't had bite one of Ramen noodles since I walked that stage.

A big ditto there. I also drank a lot of free coffee in those early days to fill me up in between noodles. :laugh:

It's like your first car being a shitbox. You will have a war story to tell and appreciate that you've moved up to bigger and better things.

greenfreak

I'd much rather live somewhere with a few less ammenities (most of the buildings were built in the boom of the 70s and have huge suites, pools in the building, squash courts, etc) and pay a little less rent so I could put some away to buy my own place one day.

Exactly. We lived apart in crummy apartments (even the crummy one, I was paying $600 a month) for the first two years, then together in a better apartment but not the best for five years. Although $1500. sounds like a lot, we were able to pay off debit, save money, and have a little fun in the interim. That's what I mean by choosing something that's advantageous. There's nothing wrong with compromising when the end goal is in sight. :)

A.B.Normal

That was kinda my point. Your area and Nixy's are over 500 miles apart, so the buying vs renting vs paycheck will be different. Don't know if it would be higher or lower, considering you're near a resort area, but it will be different. The rent inky is paying for rent at his place is over 3 times what I'm paying for mine. I'm sure that p_v and Leslie will be paying different in Toronto as well...

Her argument wasn't housing prices ,but monthly pay.
Actually Nixy's neck of the woods its a lot easier to make $3900 a mnth is my point.Alberta is in a BOOM and even entry level jobs pay well over what they would here .A store in Alberta has a huge turnover because the ease of workers finding a well paying job.I'm partime here and I make somewhere in the middle of the two examples I give.

catocom

How easy is it to find a job that pays $3,900 a month in order for the rent to be a third of your income, though? That makes a big difference. The pay around here isn't all that good.

wild man...I just signed and mailed back a contract to have a land survey,
and re-recorded plat (and 3 copys...extra cost). (12.11 acres)