How About A Philosophy Forum?

Gotholic

Imagine a place where people can come and post their views/beliefs on God or gods, religion, morality, the meaning of life, nature, and so on. A place where we can all share our thoughts and inquires about our favorite philosophers and what they had to say and the related.

A place where we can discuss the meaning of things or if there really is a meaning behind anything.

I personally love to talk about such things. I know we all have some sort of an opinion that we can share.

I know the main place we get to discuss such things is "The Real World" forum. However, this forum is dominated by threads about current events. I think a seperate forum concentrated on philosophy would be better and generate more topics on the matter.

If you do not mind, I have a suggestion for the name of the philosophy forum. I call it: "The Pursuit of Truth". And for a subtitle: "Philosophical discussions on theology, ethics, and life."

What do you guys think?

Inkara1

The only I could see it working is as a sub-forum of the RW. If you think stuff gets ugly in there, make sure to bring your flame retardant to the "Pursuit of Truth" forum.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
unclehobart said:
Thats not very RW of you. You were supposed to say 'WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! Only because you are a fat, dumb American with weak beer and inferior hockey!'

You're neither fat nor dumb in my opinion, I think ALL beer is disgusting and your inferior hockey in no way makes me think you're wrong...it just makes me feel sorry for you :p

Gotholic

unclehobart said:
Such a forum would degenerate into a squabble no better than the RW by the second post... pass.

I really do not find the RW as a forum of mere squabble. There are plenty of threads that have been good reads.

Anyways, of course, no one will agree on what the "truth" is. IMHO, that is one of the reasons it will make the forum lively. I think it would be great to have a forum so we can discuss our various points of view concentrated on philosophy...

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Open up threads of such subjects in the RW forum, if they get enough attention maybe they could get a forum. Thou, you'll have to sell the idea to sam first :D

Gotholic

Luis G said:
Open up threads of such subjects in the RW forum, if they get enough attention maybe they could get a forum. Thou, you'll have to sell the idea to sam first :D

That sounds like a plan or maybe even give the philosophy forum a trial run?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You've seen the amount of God vs Godless in the RW. What's the difference?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Gotholic said:
That sounds like a plan or maybe even give the philosophy forum a trial run?

Trial runs are rarely the case, the forums are created out of necessity.

Gotholic

Gonz said:
You've seen the amount of God vs Godless in the RW. What's the difference?

Well, the RW forum is dominated by current events and international affairs. Besides, the philosophy forum wouldn't just be about God or gods. I think if this forum was created there would be more threads generated about other deep topics. It would be interesting to read about other people's point of view. Not to say that you don't see these things at all in the RW forum, but a philosophy forum would be concentrated, of course, on philosophy.

There is always something going on in the world to post about in the RW forum. This takes the spotlight away from philosophical topics and doesn't allow it to breathe.

The RW forum can have the current events and political threads. If you take a look at the RW it is mostly comprised of this anyways.