How 'BOUT them tigers!!!

unclehobart

The ranks of the unbeaten grows thin. It seems to be the year of the also-rans.

The Illini have been quite the giant killer this year.

I fear UGA and WVU running the rest of the table as it will probably mean that they will be in a lesser BCS bowl with WVU as the top dog and UGA as the pre-beaten red-headed step child. UGA has never shown much spunk against West Virginia in the past.

unclehobart

Kansas isn't exacty dominating Oklahoma State. We might be down to only Hawaii being a stand alone undefeated team by tomorrow morning... but then they have to play Fresno State tonight. It might be a total mess by dawn.

chcr

Too cute for words
Kansas isn't exacty dominating Oklahoma State. We might be down to only Hawaii being a stand alone undefeated team by tomorrow morning... but then they have to play Fresno State tonight. It might be a total mess by dawn.

As opposed to what it is now?

unclehobart

Nah. A total mess would be the BCS computers putting Notre Dame in the championship game because of their strength of schedule.

They need a playoff system sooo bad. ...and none of this 6 weeks off before the bowl games. That utterly changes a team.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Hawaii's QB got his bell rung in last night's game. Didn't see how badly he got hammered, but it might be enough to halt their undefeated season.

Kansas looks good, but they haven't played anybody too impressive. They get Mizz-oo, then probably the Big 12 Championship game against Oklahoma most likely. We'll see what they're made of. Their QB looks like a first day draft pick right now though. (Tampa...are you listening? Garcia ain't the long term answer, and I fell off Gradkowski's bandwagon a little while back.)

Inkara1

You ever see those videos on YouTube of the biggest football hits? The kind where the hitter knocks the hittee flat on his ass a few yards back from the spot of the hit? Add Marcus Riley's hit to that video. It was one of those hits that made me say, "Holy shit!" the second I saw it. It looked clean and non-malicious to me... just very, very hard. Brennan had escaped a sack and was scrambling out in the open field.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
OK, exit Oregon, enter Kansas.

The way this season has been going, it wouldn't surprise me to see West By-God-Virginia play Georgia by the time we actually get to the big game.

Inkara1

They'll never let Hawaii in the national title game. They'll complain about the strength of schedule... and heaven forbid a football team might actually do the haka in a big-money bowl. Yes, Hawaii's football team actually got reprimanded for the pre-game haka. It wasn't even done inside the stadium, but it's somehow "taunting" and "unsportsmanlike."

Inkara1

I suppose in fairness to Hawaii, it should be mentioned that Michigan State backed out of an agreement, and Wisconsin wouldn't play Hawaii either.

chcr

Too cute for words
I suppose in fairness to Hawaii, it should be mentioned that Michigan State backed out of an agreement, and Wisconsin wouldn't play Hawaii either.

If I was a coach I think I'd be a little worried about my team's focus on that Hawaii trip. :shrug:

Inkara1

Just watched Hawaii kick a FG with 11 seconds left. Nevada coach Chris Ault tried the Mike Shanahan timeout trick, but the Hawaii kicker split the uprights both times. One play left for Nevada, interception, Hawaii wins 28-26.

This is twice now that Nevada has come up just barely short on ESPN2 on a non-Saturday night game in Reno. Anyone see the 69-67 Boise State win?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Just watched Hawaii kick a FG with 11 seconds left. Nevada coach Chris Ault tried the Mike Shanahan timeout trick, but the Hawaii kicker split the uprights both times. One play left for Nevada, interception, Hawaii wins 28-26.

This is twice now that Nevada has come up just barely short on ESPN2 on a non-Saturday night game in Reno. Anyone see the 69-67 Boise State win?

This mat aswell be in Greek :eyebrow:

Inkara1

Mike Shanahan timeout trick:

In a game against the Raiders, Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan waited until a split second before the ball was snapped before Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski attempted a game-winning field goal. He made the field goal, but because the timeout was called before the snap, no matter how close to the snap it was, the field goal didn't count. So the timeout came and went and Janikowski's second attempt at the kick hit the left upright and bounced back no good. Denver then drove and won the game on a field goal of their own.

So the next week, Oakland was playing Cleveland, and before the Cleveland kicker kicked what would have been a game-winning field goal, Raiders coach Lane Kiffin called a timeout a split second before the snap. On the second try, a Raiders player blocked the field goal, thus winning the game for the Raiders. Kiffin publicly thanked Shanahan for teaching him the trick, and later, when a reporter told Shanahan that the Raiders used the trick, Shanahan said, "Smart move."

A few weeks later, Dallas had played a horrible game at Buffalo but came back to within a close enough score that a field goal would win the game. So Buffalo coach Dick Jauron tried the timeout trick... but the Dallas kicker made the second kick as well and the Cowboys won the game.

unclehobart

I saw that game. It was boring in the first half but went nutso mid third... god knows it took 4 damn hours of airtime with 47 overtimes.