How do you feel about music in threads?

How do you feel about sbcanada, aka Specktard?

• huh?

Votes: 14 100.0%
  • sb is not a Specktard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • why should I care?

• Specktard is fitting and should remain his title

• no opinion

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think the question is fair. It's misleading, as if music is either not allowed or it is.

When were you told that there could be no music in threads? :confuse3:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
What?

Isn't that music? Yes? How come it was allowed? OH, I forgot... you assume that because HTML was disabled, that I had banned all music. No, that's not the case at all. Music is entirely allowed (as long as it is legal and in good taste - e.g. obviously you can't put a link to a copyrighted song or a song full of pleasing sounds, if you know what I mean)

It just can't be forcibly downloaded, for obvious reasons that it can get the viewer and OTC in some serious trouble.

sbcanada

I am talking about music playable in posts, not with some stupid link. And there are ways we can have music directly in posts without hurting anyone.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
:rolleyes: everyone could enter every thread with speakers OFF just in case some inconsiderate prick decided we wanted to listen to some noise pollution. That's one way.

sbcanada

An imbed tag. This allows the user to control the music. Autostart would be off, so you have to push play in order to hear anything. If some bastard puts music in without using this method, ban his ass.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Sometimes that would initiate an instance of the quicktime plugin, or whichever plugin handles the sounds.....which can also be a pain in the ass....

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Your page loads the quicktime plugin, and it doesn't display a play or stop button on my browser...(ns6)

sbcanada

For most people it shouldn't be a problem. This tag wouldn't be used in every thread anyways. We could also only allow thread creators to put that tag in that thread.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Anakin
We could also only allow thread creators to put that tag in that thread.
Actually, that's quite a bit more difficult than you may think. It would add several dozen queries and a lot more PHP code to each thread. Both to make sure to only allow one HTML tag, and to verify that the person posting that tag is the starter of the thread. It's unreasonable to want to do this, because it would severely hinder the performance of the server by increasing the intensity of the script by 2-3x

sbcanada

I'll stop bitching about music in posts, but if you tell me to shutup or anger me in some other way, you'll be hearing from me about that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.