How I spent my summer

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
After paying more than $225. month for heat last winter, I was done. A bunch of money went into insulation & my heating bill went UP. So, this year, I'm taking matters into my own hands.

We bought a cheapie woodburner. It's going into a nearly 100 year old wood-frame house with the original wood floors. My wife, having spent time as an EMS, required we go overboard on the wall/floor protection. Me, having never built squat from absolute scratch, (alone) and never having done tile work, think this thing really needs help.

However, I'm into functionality, not form, so it came out OK.

Now, to run the chiney before the weather turns cold (the leaves are begining to change)

Bad phone shots but an idea...

Tonight, mostly completed with the stove on it

Yesterday, as the grout was drying

Shaped to fit the uneven corner walls.

I hope to see gas bills under a hundred all winter.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
That is supercool! It really should make a huge difference.

And if you plastic over the windows to minimize drafts, that will make another big huge difference.

Dave

Looks good in an industrial sort of way. ;)
We have a propane stove in our sun room for the winter. It does an excellent job of warming up the space when we actually use it. We only have the ceramic tiles on the floor but then again, ours is a closed system. We don't have to worry about stray sparks.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Let there be fire

Let%20the%20be%20FIRE.jpg

In the event I suddenly disappear, either a van full of nuns ran me off the road or my house burned down

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If I were buying, it'd be natural gas (much easier)

Cut/collect/split method

Winky

You can get away with never running the natural gas if you want.

That baby will pour out more BTU's than you'll ever need.

Can the heat circulate to the rest of the house?

Since it's only touched freezing as of yet it's a bit too
soon to tell how it works?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You can get away with never running the natural gas if you want.

That baby will pour out more BTU's than you'll ever need.

Can the heat circulate to the rest of the house?

Since it's only touched freezing as of yet it's a bit too
soon to tell how it works?

It sits near a intake vent & we have portable fans. We bought it to lower our gas bill...although, it'll probably end up being our main source of heat (it is so much nicer than forced air heat), allowing the furnace to be used overnight & when we're away. Even at 20 below, another log or two keeps the temps stable.

Oh, and gato, stay out of my bra drawer..you got gin on the last one

ResearchMonkey

It sits near a intake vent & we have portable fans. We bought it to lower our gas bill...although, it'll probably end up being our main source of heat (it is so much nicer than forced air heat), allowing the furnace to be used overnight & when we're away. Even at 20 below, another log or two keeps the temps stable.
Being as old as it is, I would guess its not very efficient fuel wise. It will certainly deliver all the pajama loving heat you'll be needing.

You can't install those here in Cali anymore, they're just not green enough.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef

Oh, and gato, stay out of my bra drawer..you got gin on the last one

you got a carbon monoxide detector, right?

Inkara1

How I spent my summer vacation.

On the first day of my summer vacation, I woke up. Then I went downtown to look for a job. Then I hung out in front of the drugstore.

On the second day of my summer vacation, I woke up. Then I went downtown to look for a job. Then I hung out in front of the drugstore.

On the third day of my summer vacation, I woke up. Then I went downtown to look for a job. Then I got a job, keeping people from hanging out in front of the drugstore.