How's your garden doing?

Professur

I'm supposed to be getting those `maters started soon. The missus was supposed to do it last weekend, but was too busy.

catocom

on the new spot...
I just did 2 soil sample test, and am going to spread pint of nitrate.

Then it should be good with some 10-10-10 tilled in at planting.
I'm keeping an eye on april maybe for some peas to try maybe, and
early stuff like lettuce...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'm starting to put together my seed starting season...basement, cable heater in sand, lots of lighitng (the cops'll be here any day now)

catocom

gonna order my new trees today.
2 mackintosh apple
1 grimes golden apple

3 georgia belle peach trees

4 pecan
1 english walnut maybe I'm thinking on it.

catocom

this is one of my new peach trees, putting on leaves for the first time in the new ground.

H2O boy

This thread doesn't seem to be moving as fast, and imo this is important
that people know...
(so I'll post the story link here too)

They want to regular 'Your' garden, if you have one At All.

http://shepardpolitics.blogspot.com/2009/03/hr-875-would-essentially-outlaw-family.html

been there done that

Background of the case

The Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1938 was the result of the unconstitutionality of previous New Deal farm legislation and the success of the Soil Conservation and Domestic Allotment Act passed in 1936....
limited the area that farmers could devote to wheat production. The stated purpose of the act was to stabilize the price of wheat in the national market by controlling the amount of wheat produced.

Roscoe Filburn was a farmer who produced wheat in excess of the amount permitted. Filburn however, argued that because the excess wheat was produced for his private consumption on his own farm, it never entered commerce at all, much less interstate commerce, and therefore was not a proper subject of federal regulation under the Commerce Clause.

Amount of wheat at issue

In July 1940, pursuant to the Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1938, Filburn's 1941 allotment was established at 11.1 acres and a normal yield of 20.1 bushels per acre. Filburn was given notice of the allotment in July of 1940 before the Fall planting of his 1941 crop of wheat, and again in July of 1941, before it was harvested. Despite these notices Filburn planted 23 acres and harvested 239 bushels from his 11.9 acres of excess area.

The Court's decision

The intended rationale of the Agricultural Adjustment Act is to stabilize the price of wheat on the national market. The federal government has the power to regulate interstate commerce through the Interstate Commerce Clause of the Constitution. In Filburn the Court unanimously reasoned that the power to regulate the price at which commerce occurs was inherent in the power to regulate commerce.

Filburn argued that since the excess wheat he produced was intended solely for home consumption it could not be regulated through the interstate commerce clause. The Supreme Court rejected this argument reasoning that if Filburn had not used home-grown wheat, he would have had to buy wheat on the open market. This effect on interstate commerce, the Court reasoned, may not be substantial from the actions of Filburn alone but through the cumulative actions of thousands of other farmers just like Filburn its effect would certainly become substantial. Therefore Congress could regulate wholly intrastate, non-commercial activity if such activity, viewed in the aggregate, would have a substantial effect on interstate commerce, even if the individual effects are trivial.

Wickard has often been seen as marking the end to any limits on Congress's commerce clause powers. One commentator has written: “In the wake of Jones & Laughlin and Wickard [v. Filburn], it has become clear that… Congress has authority to regulate virtually all private economic activity.”

bend over, the taxman is on his way

H2O boy

because, you know, in this new era we are all one. heaven forbid someone try and produce something for himself. no sir no way no how. that might make his lazy neighbor feel bad about himself. cant have that. much better to have a limit on what a man can provide for his family, himself, or his business. and who better to moderate set and control that limit than your friends in washington from whom all blessings flow kumbaya i'd like to teach the world to sing

catocom

even that was different.
regulation vs. redistribution.
NO limits.
headed toward more economic enslavement.

catocom

I'm doing the bulk in corn, but I'll also plant....
crowder peas
tomatoes
blue lake beans
okra

cabbage
lettuce
cucumbers
cantaloupe
Bell peppers
and a few onion

this year
I only plant those latter ones periodically, usually.

I use the almanac, and the weather channel.com :D
oh and a long history of agriculture, when farming wasn't cool. :p
got all my seeds, and plants...
got all that, and squash, and some cyan peppers

valkyrie

Re: HB 875. Please read this...
http://crooksandliars.com/nonny-mouse/monsanto-and-hr-875-take-two

Re: what are you growing?
Where to begin? A list of my spring/summer (expected) crops perhaps?
Squash - zucchini
Squash - yellow zucchini
Squash - straightneck yellow
Squash - white scalloped
Eggplant - Japanese
Pepper - green bell
Pepper - red bell
Pepper - jalapeno
Pepper - Thai bird chilies
Tomato - grape
Tomato - slicing
Tomato - plum
Tomato - cherry
Cucumber - pickling
Cucumber - slicing
Beans - stingless blue lake (green beans)
Beans - asparagus (they're a foot long!)
Swiss Chard (which is a perennial here)
Radish - Minowase
Corn
English Peas (planted Feb. 1st)
Kohlrabi (planted last fall and will be ready to harvest soon)
Turnips (planted Feb 1st)
Beets (planted Feb 1st)
Carrots (planted last fall, I am harvesting them as I need them)
Onions - yellow
Onions - red
Onions - bunching
Cilantro
Basil - Cinnamon
Basil - Dani (a lemony flavor to it, very tasty)
Basil - plain
Dill
perennial herb garden:
- Rosemary
- Chives
- Oregano
- Marjoram
- sage
perennial fruit trees/bushes:
- peach orchard
- Texas wild persimmons
- blackberries

There are other things to be planted soon... watermelons and cantaloupe need to be put in now. I just have to convince the husband to let me use some of his garden space. He has bush beans, corn, soy beans and radishes there. I took over a spot for a grape tomato plant but I need more.

I am also interested in creating a mushroom garden in a shaded area of my house. If anyone has information to share about the mushrooms I'd appreciate it. I love fresh mushrooms in my cooking! Love it! :headbng2:

valkyrie

got all my seeds, and plants...
got all that, and squash, and some cyan peppers
Not sure if you know this trick with corn but...
... if you plant the corn in a ditch/shallow furrow, when it gets a little taller and the wind starts shifting it you just push the dirt into the ditch, covering some of the stalk of the corn. The dirt anchors the plant. This way the wind doesn't push the plant over. The root system of corn is rather shallow and corn is prone to wind damage. :swing:

valkyrie

because, you know, in this new era we are all one. heaven forbid someone try and produce something for himself. no sir no way no how. that might make his lazy neighbor feel bad about himself. cant have that. much better to have a limit on what a man can provide for his family, himself, or his business. and who better to moderate set and control that limit than your friends in washington from whom all blessings flow kumbaya i'd like to teach the world to sing
H2O boy, where do you live? In the State of Pussy? Jesus! No one fucks with you in Texas. You need to move if this is what it's like where you live. Fuck them and just pack up and leave. Find a state that doesn't fuck with you every step you take.

I just can't understand why people would take that kind of ass fucking from their government. Get involved, speak your mind, make your case... and if that doesn't work... find a new home. It's not worth living where you can't live your life the way you want to. There is no law that ties you to a specific place. Damn. You are free. Start living like you are.