How's your garden doing?

valkyrie

shoot bambi with what? you seattle-ites arent exactly known for your wilderness skills, and you libs hate guns, so theres two strikes against you before you even start
ar50big.jpg

Fuck you, pussy *poke* ... what did you do last weekend? I shot a .50 caliber rifle... pussy. HA! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Fuck yeah! :evilgrin: Total panty-wetter.

As for your political bullshit... let's keep that crap to the RW forum. We're all just a bunch of regular folks talking gardening here... so ...
:stfu:

valkyrie

There are moose farms, but them moose are BIG!!. You don't get many to the acre, and they like their space. It's also illegal here to sell hunted meat (they think that'll prevent profit from poaching :rolleyes:)
What you do is "give" some to your neighbor who happens to have some service or product that you can use and have your neighbor "give" you that. ;)

I frown on selling hunted meat, though. Hunting should bring you closer to the food you eat. It's more of a spiritual, connection to your food. It's supposed to make you appreciate the meat that nourishes you. If someone buys meat that's been hunted it's no better than buying processed meat from the supermarket or butcher.

valkyrie

There was a cougar causing havok in Banff a few months ago. When I heard it on the news I thought of the human cougar causing havok in Banff and laughed.
Ah... the Cougar... an older woman with a taste for vodka and younger men. ;) Gotta love it.

valkyrie

The biggest wild predators we have are coyotes, and they are rather smallish. We also have foxes, (very beautiful red ones) but they are smaller still. Lots of raccoons, the occasional possum, bears and very infrequent cougars (the cat, not the milf). We need the wolves back. Call me a sucker but I always shed a tear or two when I read the book or watch the movie based on it by Farley Mowat, "Never Cry Wolf".
We get skunks in the chicken house sometimes. They kill the chickens and you can tell it was a skunk that killed the chicken because they bite the heads off.

My dog loves the taste of skunk. Ah... the circle of life... skunk eats chicken, dog eats skunk... chicken eats... uh... hmmmm... ok semi-circle???? LOL!!!! :lol2:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
What you do is "give" some to your neighbor who happens to have some service or product that you can use and have your neighbor "give" you that. ;)

There's no reason you can't give the meat away and trading really is just two people giving each other something. I really don't think there'd be anything illegal about trading moose meat...as long as no money changes hands.

valkyrie

There's no reason you can't give the meat away and trading really is just two people giving each other something. I really don't think there'd be anything illegal about trading moose meat...as long as no money changes hands.
Trading = bartering. Bartering is taxable according to the IRS. Never use the word "trade" or "barter"... but there's nothing wrong with "gifting" meat and services/products to each other out of good neighborly friendship. ;) After all, don't we give each other gifts for B-days, Xmas and such? ;)

We live in a manufactured home and there easily could be one but for some reason there isn't. It's one of those chores that would be a bit costly and a big pain in the ass or else I'd just do it one fine day. Instead I can just hook a diverter into the washing machine line, but it would be a lot easier to just forget the gardening BS!

I will promise myself this, if I get a chance and can find some large yet not too expensive planter boxes I may do one next year. Our lot has OK soil, but it's underneath a layer of gravel, so planters would be the best bet. But in any case I got enough projects to keep me busy this year!

catocom

Trading = bartering. Bartering is taxable according to the IRS. Never use the word "trade" or "barter"... but there's nothing wrong with "gifting" meat and services/products to each other out of good neighborly friendship. ;) After all, don't we give each other gifts for B-days, Xmas and such? ;)

If you have extra, and people need/want, give, expecting nothing in return.
It will always come back.

Inkara1

We live in a manufactured home and there easily could be one but for some reason there isn't.

My mobile home doesn't have one either (but it does have an outdoor electrical outlet). But the way the park is set up, they put a T-fitting where the pipe comes out of the ground for each space, and on one side of the T-fitting is an outdoor spigot (also called a "cock") and on the other side is the pipe taking water into the home.

MrBishop

It does change hands - just not officially. You get a gift of some moose meat..and while you're there, you buy a great ashtray that the hunter's 5 year old son did in Kindergarten for the low-low price of $150.00 - a bargain, really.

valkyrie

We live in a manufactured home and there easily could be one but for some reason there isn't. It's one of those chores that would be a bit costly and a big pain in the ass or else I'd just do it one fine day. Instead I can just hook a diverter into the washing machine line, but it would be a lot easier to just forget the gardening BS!

I will promise myself this, if I get a chance and can find some large yet not too expensive planter boxes I may do one next year. Our lot has OK soil, but it's underneath a layer of gravel, so planters would be the best bet. But in any case I got enough projects to keep me busy this year!
The time to build those raised gardens (planter boxes) is winter. That way it's not so much work when you're ready to plant in the spring.
If you have extra, and people need/want, give, expecting nothing in return.
It will always come back.
True that! We do it all the time.
My mobile home doesn't have one either (but it does have an outdoor electrical outlet). But the way the park is set up, they put a T-fitting where the pipe comes out of the ground for each space, and on one side of the T-fitting is an outdoor spigot (also called a "cock") and on the other side is the pipe taking water into the home.
How big is your cock? ;)
we just usually split a cooler bill...:swing:
That's even better!!! :D We're thinking of doing the same with the neighbor. We freeze a lot of our veggies from the garden but it fills up the freezer in our refrigerator. I also dehydrate some. I'm horrible when it comes to canning (I don't know why) ... even with the right equipment. :p bleh. Don't ask how soft my pickles came out... mush!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
30 Roma
5 Mortgage Lifter
5 Delicious
5 Jalapeno
5 Sweet Anaheim
5 Cayenne
12 bells (dunno, wifes request)
Double Delicious sweet corn
Straight 8 cucumber
Packman Brocolli
Falstaff brussell sprouts (late summer planting)
Black Beauty Zucchini
3 Tomatillo
Annie Oaklie Okra
4th year asparagus (mary washington?)
2 beds strawberries
red, white & yellow onions
garlic
assorted herbs

now it's time for a late spring freeze

valkyrie

30 Roma
5 Mortgage Lifter
5 Delicious
5 Jalapeno
5 Sweet Anaheim
5 Cayenne
12 bells (dunno, wifes request)
Double Delicious sweet corn
Straight 8 cucumber
Packman Brocolli
Falstaff brussell sprouts (late summer planting)
Black Beauty Zucchini
3 Tomatillo
Annie Oaklie Okra
4th year asparagus (mary washington?)
2 beds strawberries
red, white & yellow onions
garlic
assorted herbs

now it's time for a late spring freeze
I wish we could grow broccoli... its too hot here. The peas turned out ok... but apparently you have to plant a lot to get enough peas to freeze/store. I only got 2 to 3 pods per plant.

I want to plant asparagus, but I haven't decided where it should be for optimum growth.

catocom

my crowder peas - plants get 3-5 gouping per shoot, and 10-12 shoots. (per seed plant)
on the best ones.

mine are just up about a week now.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Asparagus....it takes forever (3 years before you can fully use it)

Brocolli-plant it so that it matures just before summer or the first frost.

Peas-I plant 'em 'cause the plant pulls nitrogen from the air but I don't care for 'em.

valkyrie

my crowder peas - plants get 3-5 gouping per shoot, and 10-12 shoots. (per seed plant)
on the best ones.

mine are just up about a week now.
crowder peas are so cheap at the store that it makes no sense to grow them in space I could use for something else.
Asparagus....it takes forever (3 years before you can fully use it)

Brocolli-plant it so that it matures just before summer or the first frost.

Peas-I plant 'em 'cause the plant pulls nitrogen from the air but I don't care for 'em.
I'll try planting broccoli when I plant my kohlrabi.

3 yrs for asparagus is worth the wait, though. I love asparagus. Fresh tender asparagus... :clap: yum!

BTW, what are these in your list: delicious; mortgage lifter? Are they varieties of tomatoes?

I tried Brussels sprouts for 2 years. Planted them in the fall because I know they are cold weather plants. Their buds were too loose and small. I think it is the heat here. Winter just isn't long enough for them I suppose.