Humanity trivia

unclehobart

1. What is the most common fear? the second most common? *answered*

2. What is hexadectylism? *answered*

3. In what country can a woman get a divorce when her husband does not give her coffee?

4. What does the red and white stripes on a barber pole represent? *answered*

5. How did Pope Paul II die?*answered*

Rose

unclehobart said:
4. What does the red and white stripes on a barber pole represent?

I think the red stripes represent blood. I forget the story, but something to the tune of razors being sharpened and the blood being stained on the pole where they are sharpened? :s Dammit, I know I know this ... *digs into lil' brain a bit deeper*

unclehobart

Rose said:
I think the red stripes represent blood. I forget the story, but something to the tune of razors being sharpened and the blood being stained on the pole where they are sharpened? :s Dammit, I know I know this ... *digs into lil' brain a bit deeper*
The red is blood... thats about 1/3 of it.

Oz

Rose said:
buggered to death?

Sodomized me dear........died while one of the choirboys (or some such) was attending to the holiest of holes (so to speak).

Kawaii

Well.. I think it is because the medieval barber also acted as a surgeon, and the red on the pole represents the blood involved. Correct?

unclehobart

Kawaii said:
Well.. I think it is because the medieval barber also acted as a surgeon, and the red on the pole represents the blood involved. Correct?
Quite correct... blood and bandages ... red and white.

chcr

Too cute for words
Oz said:
Sodomized me dear........died while one of the choirboys (or some such) was attending to the holiest of holes (so to speak).
Groan :rolleyes:

*Note that I'm still laughing*

I know that the barber pole deal has to do with barbers once were doctors, but I don't remember the whole story.

Oz

chcr said:
Groan :rolleyes:

*Note that I'm still laughing*

It was the most polite way I could think to explain it :shrug:

I was gonna say "One of the choirboys was stuck up to his nuts in the pope's guts when the poor guy popped his clogs"

unclehobart

Twas the other way around...

Pope Paul II died suddenly of heart attack, allegedly while being the top in anal intercourse with one of his favorite boys.

The Vatican officially called it a stroke with little additional comment. Any guess as to why? ;)