Hydrogen Puts Iceland on Road to Oil-Free Future

G

Hydrogen Puts Iceland on Road to Oil-Free Future

REYKJAVIK (Reuters) - Iceland, with its steaming geothermal power stations, already knows plenty about alternative energy.

Now this island of lava on the edge of the Arctic plans to become the world's first society to ditch fossil fuels entirely, relying instead on hydrogen made using the power of its roaring rivers and volcanoes.

Great idea. :headbang:

sbcanada

Yes, a very good idea.

Now, if only the Americans could learn from the Icelanders, they wouldn't need to stick their noses in the Arab world/Middle East/Oil countries so much. ;) :D

ris

very good idea, if only we in the uk could be as forward thinking, at least we're trying to lower our c02 emmissions beyond the scope of kyoto, which is a start.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Originally posted by Anakin
Yes, a very good idea.

Now, if only the Americans could learn from the Icelanders, they wouldn't need to stick their noses in the Arab world/Middle East/Oil countries so much. ;) :D

No comment.

Inkara1

Actually, the US gets most of its oil from its own hemisphere. Most Arabic oil goes to Europe and Japan.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Putting a hydrogen distribution network in place for Iceland isn't that difficult (relatively).

Try putting a nationwide distribution network in place in the US. :eek:

Who's gonna foot that trillion dollar bill? Hydrogen is cool, but it's a catch 22 like most other promising technologies. It's not viable until there is an infrastrustrue to support it and it's produced in quantity, and it won't have an infrastructure or be produced in quantity until it's viable. Same with carbon composites... they're expensive right now, but would drop in price if they were used in volume for numerous applications, but they won't be used for those numerous applications until the price drops.

As always, it will simply take time for prices to trickle down until the point is reached where that final step isn't such a whammy.

StuTheWise

Several years ago the US enstated a law that will require a certain # of cars sold in the US to have 0 emissions. I believe that law goes into affect in 2003(?) and the percentage increases each year.

Looking back on American history, they had electric cars racing against internal combustion counterparts in the early 1900's. Many electric cars did well enough to beat the majority of the internal combustion cars. If only those oil tycoons hadn't squished electric motor research all those years ago... who knows what might have been.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
I happen to agree with the US's refusal to go along with the Kyoto Protocol.

Not that something doesn't need to be done, but that just isn't it.

Jeslek

Banned
It is not petrol, it is gasoline (gas for short). Petrol refers to petroleum, which is the thick black liquid commonly called crude oil. You do not fill your car up with crude oil, but you DO fill it up with gasoline. :)

I too am happy that the United States did not sign the Koyoto thing.

ol' man

US admits huh?

Yeah right.

Spose when the Sun engulfs the earth when it hits red giant stage it will be mans fault also. O yea one day the sun will expand and the earth will hover right inside of the red giant a few miles in. Temps will be about 5000 deg. C on the surface of the earth? What do you think the OZONE will be like then. Dang CFC's:rolleyes:

Luis G

Staff member
If i remember right that's not going to happen before 5,000 million years from now.

We should worry about how humans are going to live in earth in the meanwhile.

ris

petrol is the uk word for gasoline, it's just a cultural difference.

'us admits', yes, that's what the article said:

"In a 268-page report submitted to the United Nations, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) endorsed what many scientists have long argued - that human activities such as oil refining, power generation and car emissions are significant causes of global warming. "

whether or not you agree with the kyoto treaty or not it is the major option on the table right now and many countries are supporting it as a start. i think it's better to be part of the solution, involved in the debate and working toward a common goal.

why would the sun burning out be mans fault?

ris

kyoto was an the united nations conference on climate change and was intended to ratify a global strategy to reduce harmful emissions into the atmosphere and attempt to slow global warming.

the initial treaty proposed a reduction, by 2012, of such emissions by an average of 5.2% of 1990 levels. this a small reduction but is seen by many as a significant first step in taking global environmental issues.

ol' man

Originally posted by ris
kyoto was an the united nations conference on climate change and was intended to ratify a global strategy to reduce harmful emissions into the atmosphere and attempt to slow global warming.

the initial treaty proposed a reduction, by 2012, of such emissions by an average of 5.2% of 1990 levels. this a small reduction but is seen by many as a significant first step in taking global environmental issues.

No it was a plan to turn the US and its economy over to the EU and UN. I got me a gun ya seeeee........

........we won't pay the tax on the tea!

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Actually, the electric vs infernal combustion racing was won mostly by gasoline-powered cars when the distances got longer, so it wasn't the oil companies that squashed the electric car...it was the battery companies :D. Storage has always been, and will always be, a problem with electric motors...Here's an interesting article on the issue.

Luis G

Staff member
You're probably right, but you also need a storage space for your gas.

btw, lol @ infernal :D :D