I have a new toy!

Inkara1

I just got myself a new toy too.

Samsung a930.

I looked at the a990, which is a nice phone... but it would be like $250 even after rebates, and you have to take it out of the leather case to use it because the screen flips around. I'd be too afraid I'd drop it. Plus, the camera is slow... it has a 3-megapixel camera with auto-focus, but the auto-focus takes two or three seconds.

The 930 I got has a fixed-focus lens, so it might not take quite as good of pictures, but it takes them faster... and I have the Sony 5MP for when I want good pictures. Plus, it can stay in the leather case full-time. I don't plan on dropping the phone... but I didn't plan on dropping the old one either, and I did drop it a few times in the 22 months I had to wait until the upgrade. The leather helped because it prevented concrete-to-plastic contact.

So now I've got a bluetooth headset... and I'm listening to Suicidal Tendencies with the music player.

The leather the case is made out of smells new too. :D

OK, now I'm listening to the long version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

unclehobart

I'm closing in on 400 songs in my Itunes. Pretty soon I will have enough to fill the phone up with battery draining goodness.

Inkara1

What size TransFlash card did you get for it? I got a 512MB for mine because it offered the best price-megabyte ratio.

unclehobart

I have a 512 as well. I made it to about 530 songs before I said 'screw it' and did a 100 song random upload to the phone.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
See, with me, I don't bother because I am either at home where I have a stereo or in my car which has a cd/am/fm player. Don't need a little thing like that :shrug:
When do you use them?

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
I guess when I grocery shop?
I won a cheapo MP3 player thingie - holds about 125 songs. I always forget to bring it with me.

chcr

Too cute for words
See, with me, I don't bother because I am either at home where I have a stereo or in my car which has a cd/am/fm player. Don't need a little thing like that :shrug:
When do you use them?

I use mine at the gym mostly. Occasionally on airline flights.

tonksy

Had to take me phone back and swap it out for a new one. Apparently all the glitches I had been chalking up to operator error were in fact not me.
The new one seems...more behaved and does what I tell it to.
Most of my data was saved between being on the sim card and then synching with my PC but I had to redownload all my ringtones off my PC...lost a great pic of Mar but I can always take another.
So now my phone works great!

spike

Ok, I have a new toy now too.

Sanyo SCP-8400

Just got it today. I was into it for the 1.3 megapixel cameral, MP3 capabilities, mini-SD expansion, and USB connectivity.

Reading the review linked above I'm now second guessing myself. I do have 30 days to swap phones at no charge.

The other phone I was looking at was the Samsung MM-A900 which got a little better review but it doesn't have the USB connectivity.

I know I'm going to be second guessing myself on the Sprint phones for the next 30 days so if you guys have any insight I'd love to hear it.

Inkara1

My opinion of Sprint improved quite a bit when I was working at RadioShack and actually selling them. Sanyo phones, in the experience I've had, are durable and reliable.

If you're shopping for a phone with the best picture quality, then you're not looking at phones with just a 1.3 MP camera anyway.

Mirlyn

I think the A900 has bluetooth. Not sure the USB/MP3 thing is worth it as the sound quality I've heard has been suprising but yet useless as a MP3 player (my other phone was a MM-8300).

Never had a problem with either Samsung or Sanyo. I'm still mad that Sprint axed the ability to tether. Went to a Treo so I can keep that ability.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I've got one of these. I don't really need the camera or the internet access, as I have a digital camera and a computer. I'm wondering where I can just get a regular, run-of-the-mill phone. :shrug:

rrfield

My brother-in-law just signed up with Cingular, he told them "I want the lowest end phone there is". He got it, no internet, no camera, free with 1 year contract. He went with Cingular after going to Sprint and Verizon stores and asking for the same thing and getting sales pitches for more expensive phones.

spike

My opinion of Sprint improved quite a bit when I was working at RadioShack and actually selling them. Sanyo phones, in the experience I've had, are durable and reliable.

If you're shopping for a phone with the best picture quality, then you're not looking at phones with just a 1.3 MP camera anyway.

Sprint's free night calling starts at 7:00pm which made a difference for me. I didn't see any phones there with higher than a 1.3 MP camera.

I'm going to go ahead and get a 2 GB miniSD card since they're only about $40-50 and stick a few hundred mp3s on it.

It's got bluetooth but I'm not sure why it's so useful.