If you're THAT stupid...

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I bought a cake for dessert on Mother's Day, it was a snickers cake. It was chocolate cake with chocolate icing and then caramel and peanuts all over the top of the icing (ALOT of peanuts). On the package there is a sticker that says "Allergy alert: This product contains nuts"...REALLY if you're allegic to nuts and you're stupid enough to eat a cake with peanuts ALL over it then I'm pretty sure you deserve what's coming to you...that sticker is interfering with natural selection. :retard3:

Professur

But, but, Nixy, you have to remember that some people can react simply at the smell of peanut (and probably at the smell of money too). They have to be warned in advance. Granted that anyone that sensitive probably shouldn't be allowed out of their bubble, but that's entirely besides the point.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
But, but, Nixy, you have to remember that some people can react simply at the smell of peanut (and probably at the smell of money too). They have to be warned in advance. Granted that anyone that sensitive probably shouldn't be allowed out of their bubble, but that's entirely besides the point.

Well, the cake was in a typical plastic "this cake was made at the store" container and the sticker wasn't very big...one probably could see the peanuts before they were close enough to read the sticker...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Nixy said:
I bought a cake for dessert on Mother's Day, it was a snickers cake. It was chocolate cake with chocolate icing and then caramel and peanuts all over the top of the icing (ALOT of peanuts). On the package there is a sticker that says "Allergy alert: This product contains nuts"...REALLY if you're allegic to nuts and you're stupid enough to eat a cake with peanuts ALL over it then I'm pretty sure you deserve what's coming to you...that sticker is interfering with natural selection. :retard3:
I've seen that at Zehrs and made the :retard: face too :laugh:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
MrBishop said:
It's the law...like putting ingredient listings on the side of packaged goods. :shrug:

And that law is interfering with natural selection. That's like putting "This package contains nuts" on the side of a bottle of peanuts...

Professur

Nixy said:
And that law is interfering with natural selection. That's like putting "This package contains nuts" on the side of a bottle of peanuts...

Civilization interferes with natural selection. Doctors too. Medicine. Seat belts, motor cycle helmets, guard rails, child car seats, ... shall I continue?

MrBishop

Seatbelts interfere with natural selection, baby-seats, cross-walks, safety caps on Tylenol etc etc...

The law says that you have to list ingredients. Start making exceptions and everyone crosses the line. It's happening already with the whole 'no fat, fat-free, no trans-fat' thing.

Badly written law. A company can list a products fat-content using their measure of what 1 serving is. For Lays, 1 serving is 6 chips. Since 6 chips contain less than 1 gram of fat, they can legally write that their chips are fat-free.

Now...when was the last time that anyone stopped after eating only 6 chips?

The use of peanut oils, shells, nuts etc...is more closely monitored because the reaction is extreme for even minimal amounts. If the ingredients laws were relaxed any, some company who uses only 1 gallon of peanut oils in their vat of cookie dough could very well write 'peanut free', sell plenty of cookies and be well on their way to killing off a few hundred kids whose parents bought those cookies BECAUSE they were peanut-free.

Before the argument arises -- People have allergies to shrimp, seafood and bee stings... but they aren't common ingredients for foods like peanuts are.

Unc has got another food allergy. He can avoid his allergy because of label laws. You can't loosen label laws...even if they don't apply to you.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
Civilization interferes with natural selection. Doctors too. Medicine. Seat belts, motor cycle helmets, guard rails, child car seats, ... shall I continue?

OK but with let's say...helmets and seat belts...if the people are stupid they're likely to not wear them and then natural selection can still take place...the stickers just allow COMPLETE idiots another day at life.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
MrBishop said:
Seatbelts interfere with natural selection, baby-seats, cross-walks, safety caps on Tylenol etc etc...

The law says that you have to list ingredients. Start making exceptions and everyone crosses the line. It's happening already with the whole 'no fat, fat-free, no trans-fat' thing.

Badly written law. A company can list a products fat-content using their measure of what 1 serving is. For Lays, 1 serving is 6 chips. Since 6 chips contain less than 1 gram of fat, they can legally write that their chips are fat-free.

Now...when was the last time that anyone stopped after eating only 6 chips?

The use of peanut oils, shells, nuts etc...is more closely monitored because the reaction is extreme for even minimal amounts. If the ingredients laws were relaxed any, some company who uses only 1 gallon of peanut oils in their vat of cookie dough could very well write 'peanut free', sell plenty of cookies and be well on their way to killing off a few hundred kids whose parents bought those cookies BECAUSE they were peanut-free.

Before the argument arises -- People have allergies to shrimp, seafood and bee stings... but they aren't common ingredients for foods like peanuts are.

Unc has got another food allergy. He can avoid his allergy because of label laws. You can't loosen label laws...even if they don't apply to you.

I never said ANYTHING about ingrediants lists...I LIKE that everything has an ingediants list and nutritional info thing now. I do not however see the need for the bright orange sticker. If someone can't read the ingrediants list or SEE the peanuts they maybe shouldn't be shopping/should have someone else check the package before eatting anything.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
What Nixy is saying is...

You have this cake in a plastic clear cake tray. Sprinkled on TOP of the cake is a whole whack of peanuts. On the plastic case, you see in big usual brand advertising letters that the name of the cake is Chocolate Caramel Peanut cake. On the label, is the ingredients listing, in which Peanuts is included. And the obligatory warning, contains Peanuts, is of course on the label as well.

BUT!!! That's not enough! Zehrs somehow feels it MUST put yet ANOTHER huge bright orange bonus sticker stating that yes, in fact, there are peanuts in there!

Anyone with any nut allergy is gonna notice without that great big honkin sticker. It's overkill. It's 'you're an idiot' and we know you don't know how to think. Like Walmart plastering curling iron boxes with extra stickers warning that they're hot or do not immerse or something, as if the big HOT on the box, or 'do not immerse' written all over the instructions inside isn't enough.

This cake one is WAY beyond the darwin stickers already out there.

BeardofPants

All those safety features ARE natural selection at work. :shrug: Propagation of the species, nomatter how stoopid, right? :headdesk:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
BeardofPants said:
All those safety features ARE natural selection at work. :shrug: Propagation of the species, nomatter how stoopid, right? :headdesk:

I think some scientist out there is playing a mean trick and trying to get backwards evolution to occur or something...if we get enough idiots to breed we'll turn back into monkeys :eek3:

Oh, and Les, EXACTLY! WHY is the orange sticker necessary on top of the ingrediants list, and the standard warning and the visible peanuts?!

chcr

Too cute for words
Nixy said:
I think some scientist out there is playing a mean trick and trying to get backwards evolution to occur or something...if we get enough idiots to breed we'll turn back into monkeys :eek3:
[Pedanticman] Sorry dear but we never were monkeys. We are a kind of ape if that makes you feel better. [/Pedanticman]

Note that none of this really affects poo flinging ability.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
blah blah blah everyone is so specific...we'll once again become primates...better? :p