Intel vs. AMD

Who's CPUs are better price/performance wise?

• AMD's

Votes: 23 100.0%
  • Intel's

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
I always hated it at HWC when someone would find an old thread through yahoo search or something, and then register and answer the question, not realizing that no one really cared what the best bios to use on a particular socket 5 board was. :D

JJR512

The question is, "Who's CPUs are better price/performance wise?" I don't think anybody, even the most die-hard Intel fan, can deny that AMD has an advantage in price/performance. At the same price, AMD has more performance; at the same performance, AMD has a lower price.

If both price and performance were equal, I would go with Intel. But as long as there is an advantage one way or the other, I will go that way. Right now, the advantage is to AMD. If I were to buy a new CPU today, it would be an AMD.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
And there are still some people that will buy a $700 CPU when a $200 CPU is within 10% on most everything.

Of course, some of those would buy the $700 CPU even if it was trailing by 10%. :D

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
drool... I want dual XP's. Actually, dual Barton's would be nice. No, check that, I want dual Hammers.

Which raises a valid question: will there be SMP Clawhammer systems, or only Sledgehammer? I'm guessing the Sledgehammer chips will be much more expensive, and the mobo's as well.

The Clawhammer has enough hypertransport links for a 4-way system. I wonder how long (if ever) it will be before we see an enthusiast dual hammer board?

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
It would probably be worth it though. Man, separate memory for each CPU, maybe, depends on how the implement the HT links.

I just hope it's not like the SMP K7... promised at the beginning, but took forever to arrive.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
AMD when it comes to performance/price ratio.
Intel when it comes to temperatures. I like the 40 deg. C on those thingies....but I hate the price, so I have used AMD for the past 1.5 yrs.

But those P4 are getting a lot less expensive these days, so I might return to the good ol' Intel :)