It wouldn't be Dixie without

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Santa Maria-style BBQ has a really good marinade. It's called "using a good cut of meat that already has a good flavor."

:D

All meat has good flavor. Some just has better than others. Besides...no meat can go near my grill without being marinated. Period. Even Kobe beef gets its time in the bourbon, rosemary, and thyme bath. Anything else is laziness. :p

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
All meat has good flavor. Some just has better than others. Besides...no meat can go near my grill without being marinated. Period. Even Kobe beef gets its time in the bourbon, rosemary, and thyme bath. Anything else is laziness. :p

Tough meat is marinated.Tasteless meat is marinated. A good steak is maybe touched with salt and pepper to bring out the flavour. Marinade should never ever touch a good quality cut of well marbled (and preferably aged) beef.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Tough meat is marinated.Tasteless meat is marinated. A good steak is maybe touched with salt and pepper to bring out the flavour. Marinade should never ever touch a good quality cut of well marbled (and preferably aged) beef.

I pretty much concur. I have a mix of spices that I apply to most every cut of beef I grill, from hamburger to filet. I'm more likely to marinade chicken than beef. Pork....it depends on what I'm doing with it. Fish gets lemon juice usually and maybe some paprika depending on cooking method. Pan fried fish gets a buttermilk bath.

The secret to grilling beef, and again it applies to any cut from hamburger to filet: Turn it over once, only once, and no more than once. Twice shalt thou not turn it. Thrice is right out. Know how you want it cooked, know what each side looks like for that degree of wellness, and flip it and leave it the hell alone. Turn it twice and it's tough. Every time. Yes, even the way you do it, and I don't know who you are or what you do.

TexasRaceLady

The secret to grilling beef, and again it applies to any cut from hamburger to filet: Turn it over once, only once, and no more than once. Twice shalt thou not turn it. Thrice is right out. Know how you want it cooked, know what each side looks like for that degree of wellness, and flip it and leave it the hell alone. Turn it twice and it's tough. Every time. Yes, even the way you do it, and I don't know who you are or what you do.

Oh, you hit it right on, SN'P. NEVER turn a second time.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

I pretty much concur. I have a mix of spices that I apply to most every cut of beef I grill, from hamburger to filet. I'm more likely to marinade chicken than beef. Pork....it depends on what I'm doing with it. Fish gets lemon juice usually and maybe some paprika depending on cooking method. Pan fried fish gets a buttermilk bath.

Two correct posts in a row. That must be a record.

Sharky

Two correct posts in a row. That must be a record.

Any room left on this bandwagon? Include me in. :cool:

And I agree with Gato re: using the right wood for smoking. I like to use a mix of oak and pecan. And I put pans of beer in the smoker.

Smokin' at Armadillo Ranch (whole baby pig, a turkey, and sausage):

cookout.jpg

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I am years overdue for a good ol' pig roast. The spouse of the house has never attended one. My best buddy, who lives hundreds of miles away now (I moved, he didn't) had one every summer. Roast a pig, fry about 75 pounds of fish (catfish, walleye, perch and bass caught locally, whitefish and cod store bought), tappa keggertwo o'brew, grill up some brats, and have at it. Man I miss him.

I usually had a big cookout every summer also, but I didn't have the big smoker to work with. I'd line up three or four grills, one each for brats, chicken, and burgers with the extra catching the overflow. Throw in the staples of a Southron cookout (tater salad, baked beans, grilled roastin ears, cole slaw, 'nanner puddin, spiked watermelon, and Lord knows what all else would get brung) and the keggertwo o'brew, add horseshoe pits and all the guitar pickers you know, and call it a weekend. Times like that are what make life worth the trouble.

Sharky

I am years overdue for a good ol' pig roast. The spouse of the house has never attended one. My best buddy, who lives hundreds of miles away now (I moved, he didn't) had one every summer. Roast a pig, fry about 75 pounds of fish (catfish, walleye, perch and bass caught locally, whitefish and cod store bought), tappa keggertwo o'brew, grill up some brats, and have at it. Man I miss him.

I usually had a big cookout every summer also, but I didn't have the big smoker to work with. I'd line up three or four grills, one each for brats, chicken, and burgers with the extra catching the overflow. Throw in the staples of a Southron cookout (tater salad, baked beans, grilled roastin ears, cole slaw, 'nanner puddin, spiked watermelon, and Lord knows what all else would get brung) and the keggertwo o'brew, add horseshoe pits and all the guitar pickers you know, and call it a weekend. Times like that are what make life worth the trouble.

Oh hell yes. There's nothing like a day spent with friends cooking, eating, drinking, and having a good time. This one was week before last - kind of an End of Summer deal. Only about a third of the people are in that photo. There was a bunch down in the woods shooting guns, and a few were on the creek canoeing. The kitchen was packed with wimmenfolk cooking, and a motley crew was on the lanai working on running my bar dry. They looked like this: :cocktail: :toast: :drink2: :drink: :beerbang: :beerdrnk:

The pig was provided by that giant standing next to the smoker - he catches them wild on his land and fattens them up. We smoke 'em for 8 to 10 hours, and they are incredibly tender and juicy. Sorry, Prof - there's no recipe, other than put the pig or turkey in a pan and cover loosely with foil and baste frequently.

I need to mail you a flag too it seems...:evilgrin:
LOL! I have a battle flag somewhere, and a Florida state flag. The flag in the pic is a
erin.gif

in honor of my Ma, and there is a
Scotlandflag.gif

flying out front of the house in honor of me Pa.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
HEATHEN!!!!

Charlatan. :p

p_v said:

Hmmm..Salt and pepper...spices...vs bourbon and...well...spices. :rolleyes:

BTW...if you can't get pecan wood, pecans in the shell work just as well. Just be sure to soak them in water longer before tossing them in the firebox.

Professur

I'm hardly gonna show up at the local cook-off and beat the tar outta anyone with their own recipe

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Rub meat with brown sugar, paprika garlic powder onion powder and salt (the base for a dry rub, add other spices you like, anything really as long as it is dry, cinnamon cloves nutmeg, go nuts)

sauce

Tomato based

tomato paste
some kinda vinager
sugar
spices

Molasses based

molasses
some kinda vinager
sugar
spices

add some bourbon if you like.

no matter what you come up with it's GOTTA be better than store bought.

unclehobart

I've always been a fan of the paprika, sugar, apple cider vinegar route for pig, tomato and dry rub for beef.

Prof, the truth of my family is that my elder generations were a bunch of highly educated city folk from the mid-Atlantic with little roots tied in proper BBQ. I have no secret formula to divulge. We either make it up, borrow a mason jar of the good stuff from a friend in the country, or visit one of the 200 local joints claiming to have A-#1 BBQ.

Frankly, I've always been a fan of what a meat becomes after umpteen hours of careful smoking instead of actually zeroing in on the perfect sauce.

unclehobart

Well... they do save the best for family. Common folk don't deserve the A+ stuff. You might mess up and actually serve a yankee perfectly good food and watch their face contort because it doesn't taste like the tripe that the deli sells on the lower east side of Binghamton, NY.