Just how scary would this thing be?

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
I know, it's a couple of years old now, but it's still cool as hell for the techie and the speed freak. Who thinks they could hold on to this thing?

05.jpg

08.jpg

01.jpg

Specs:

Frame: Aluminum alloy
Rake: 27 degrees
Weight: 500 pounds
Seat Height: 31.5 inches
Wheel Base: 68 inches
Wheels: Dymag Carbon Fiber 17"
Tires: Front: 120 60ZR17 (Pirelli)
Rear: 200 50ZR17 (Pirelli)
Front forks: 55 mm inverted
Shocks: Mono-shock adjustable oleopneumatic (Ohlins)
Brakes: Front: 2 x 320 mm floating system - 4 piston calipers (Brembo)
Rear: 2 x 320 mm floating system - 4 piston calipers (Brembo)
Engine: Allison Rolls Royce 250 Gas Turbine
Power: 320 hp @ 52,000 rpm (286 hp @ rear wheel)
Output RPM: 6,000 rpm
Torque: 425 ft lbs @ 2,000 rpm
Compressor speed: 54,000 rpm
Fuel: Diesel, Kerosene, Jet A
Lubrication: Dry-sump/ 3.5 quarts turbine oil
Transmission: Two-speed automatic or manual
Rear Mirrors: Concealed color display (LCD) for rear mounted camera
Fuel Capacity: 8.5 gallons (34 liters)
Ride: Indescribable!!

Performance:

Estimated Top Speed: 250 mph
1/4 Mile: 9.80 @ 160 mph
0-227 mph in 15.0 sec.

If you're wondering why it has a mediocre 1/4 mile time, it's because it is only using a two speed transmission and a friction clutch... essentially burning off power at low speeds until the wheel and engine speed/transmission speed syncs up. Remember, it's a turbine engine so it doesn't have that much of an rpm range... and they didn't want to add weight and complexity with a multigear transmission. With that much power, they really didn't need to. Just look at the trap speed in the 1/4, and the time to 227 mph... not too shabby! :D

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I don't really know if I could hang on to that thing or not, but I'd sure like to give it a try.

greenfreak

My brother in law used to race those kinds of bikes. I used to see pictures of him on a turn and his knee would barely touch the ground, it would freak me out to watch that. Especially if it was my brother in law. :)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
i'd refuse to give that a try, unless i'm experienced with 1800cc bikes.

greenfreak

I know nothing about motorcycles, but what I meant about 'that kind of bike' was the flared aerodynamic sides and the insane turns like this:

mainpic.jpg

That could be anything, I know. My main point was just that it freaks me out to see a part of someone's body so close to the pavement going at that speed. :eek:

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
outside looking in said:
Just to clarify, this kind of bike has an Allison Jet-Turbine engine! :eek:

I saw that :D That's an engineers dream to ride such a bike :D
God, I love that kind of stuff :D

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
greenfreak said:
I know nothing about motorcycles, but what I meant about 'that kind of bike' was the flared aerodynamic sides and the insane turns like this:

mainpic.jpg

That could be anything, I know. My main point was just that it freaks me out to see a part of someone's body so close to the pavement going at that speed. :eek:

That guy is insane!!!

Professur

I've never understood the need for huge power on a bike. The power to weight ratio forstalls the need for anything greater than 500cc. Beyond that, you're defeating yourself.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
the torque's horse-power combinated with an appropiate gearbox can make a difference, probably not necessary for you and me, but i'm sure it makes a big difference for hardcore bikers.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Professur said:
I've never understood the need for huge power on a bike. The power to weight ratio forstalls the need for anything greater than 500cc. Beyond that, you're defeating yourself.

I agree, though I'd probably use the terminology that beyond that you're killing yourself. I like cars with insane amounts of power, but I'm not about to go strap a solid rocket booster to the top... which is not far from what they've done with that bike!