Just the reason I´m not fond of images in signatures

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Just the reason I'm not fond of images in signatures

Not to step on any toes, or to offend anyone, or to single anyone out as an example, but ihcra's signature contains a .gif that's just annoying (but really cool looking ;)).

ihcras_back_sig.gif

I don't see any reason why page scrolling should come to a halt because of someone's signature. I brought up the issue of images in sig's a while back, you can look up the thread and refresh yourself on what I think of it.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I don't see a problem, the image is loaded once and every further reference to it is managed by the browser's cache.

Palabras del día:[/]
water = agua
beer = cerveza
[/size]

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Perhaps I have a screwy system then. That .gif causes scrolling of the page to be extremely jerky and slow. Any thread with posts from ihcra are, well, a pain in the ass.

If there's anything I could do on my end to help, I'd be happy to try it. I don't want to cut off display of all members' signatures... I like reading some of them. :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I plan to make it an option in the user control panel to just disable images in signatures, as soon as I get some other stuff completed.

ris

i have the same problem, even when it's cached. does get quite annoying, especially if there are a number of replies in a thread :mad2: :)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
That problem has to do with the smooth scrolling in ie, try disabling it.

I'm using netscape and scrolling up and down has no problems.

ol' man

Originally posted by outside looking in
Perhaps I have a screwy system then. That .gif causes scrolling of the page to be extremely jerky and slow. Any thread with posts from ihcra are, well, a pain in the ass.

If there's anything I could do on my end to help, I'd be happy to try it. I don't want to cut off display of all members' signatures... I like reading some of them. :D

My 1.6GHz monster has no problem scrolling through it:D

I know my id card has a shit of a time with HWC's animated pic crap though. Sends my cpu usage to 100% some times! It is always ATI cards that do this too. I through my less powerful gf2 mx200 in it and it runs fine. Put the ATI back in and 100 cpu usage again.

Maybe you should get a more powerful CPU. Where is your dual palamino's and crack you were talking about at HWC some years ago? That should allow you too scroll through it!

equinoxe3d

I'm scrolling this on my Pentium 150 (with IE 5.0) right now and it scrolls pretty fine so IE6 or something might be the problem ?(

Be glad there is no Shockwave signatures, it could really be a pain then :D

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
ol' man, I think you might be right... about the ATi part. At work on a GTS it seems to scroll just fine. On my 8500 and a much more powerful system, it jerks like nutty shit. :(

equinoxe3d

Yeah, seems it may be driver-related too, but I have a Rage IIc+ in the system I mentionned below and it works ok, so it may be affecting only more modern ATI cards. Have you tried in 16-bit color if it still does it?