Kazza tips

1. If you have run out of sources when downloading a file and it remains at 'connecting to' without a username, look for the file again in the search and it will try those users it found in the search.

2. If it says 'more sources needed' right click and search for more sources, it seems like it does not look all over at once, so you may get lucky on second tries.

3. You can back up the .dat file when downloading incase it fails or is corrupted you can start back from a point where it might still be good. Just copy the dat file to another folder, this can also work if you want to download the file from another computer, just copy the dat file to the shared folder of that computer and start that computers copy of kazza, it will pick it up and start from where you left off.

4. If you find a fast user, search his files and when kazza stops using him/her and may go to a slower user or need more sources, pause the download and retry asap it may catch back that user, especially if the users files are viewed.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
5. The "Search Now" button turns into a "Search More" button after the first pass of a search - clicking on it will continue to search and often finds many more files or instances of a file than the initial pass. (I'm not sure if this is only a feature of KaZaA Lite or not)

unclehobart

Is there a way to trick it into not stealing my CPU cycles? The darn thing gobbles up 100% of a CPUs resources. It really eats into my Genoming performance and makes accessing anything on my machine a real delay heavy hassle.

Jas101

You can also change a few settings in the Registry. This will work on both versions.

Max downloads (above 50) if you're greedy like me.
Max search results.
Min upload (eeek).

Attachment(s):

kreg.jpg, 60.56kb

74_1032200798.jpg

fury

Administrator
Staff member
unclehobart said:
Is there a way to trick it into not stealing my CPU cycles? The darn thing gobbles up 100% of a CPUs resources. It really eats into my Genoming performance and makes accessing anything on my machine a real delay heavy hassle.
That's KaZaA's new distributed computing network. Get KaZaA Lite, it doesn't do that.

unclehobart

I do have kaaza lite. It still does it. Apparently my old regular kaaza didnt remove itself when I ordered it to. yay...

unclehobart

ok... moved the shared folder, deleted the whole shebang, reinstalled, moved the folder back, viola! Seems to be working well now.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
are you previewing files?

i've seen the preview makes any puter crawl, must be a buggy copying algorithm.

unclehobart

I run pro 2000. A ctr alt del lets me into a control shell that allows me to see the percentage of CPU juice allotted to what tasks in real time. kazaa.exe is sucking down one of my chips.

unclehobart

I'm starting to think that my old normal Kazaa setup left a bunch of shadow baggage on my system. I'm probably going to have to eradicate it again, window wash it, defrag it, set fire to it, wave a big ass magnet on it to get it out of my registry. grr.

Jeslek

Banned
unclehobart said:
I'm starting to think that my old normal Kazaa setup left a bunch of shadow baggage on my system. I'm probably going to have to eradicate it again, window wash it, defrag it, set fire to it, wave a big ass magnet on it to get it out of my registry. grr.
Then install AOL.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
OH! I have a Kazza tip!

Don't get it! That thing is FUCKING FILLED with spyware!

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Lite has no spyware in the actual program. Although, it does go to the kazaa media desktop website, which contains cookies that are spyware, but I find that if you set your IE properties to ask you before allowing any cookies, you can usually get it to block any cookies coming from the KMD website.