Laney PL100 Reverb

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Never used 'em. Don't know much about 'em.

I picked up a Laney Pro Linebacker 100 Reverb guitar amp (not the head) for $50. I like the sound (it has been 20+ years...so I'm easy). It's loud, has lots of knobs to twist, pisses the boy off & scares the dog.

Anybody know anything about this amp? I can't fiind a thing...

2minkey

bootlicker
linebacker was their more value-oriented line. AOR was top of the line, sorta line a marshall with an added tube in the preamp for more gain, back when folks thought preamp gain was cool (i.e. hair band era).

then there is the older laney, which i think was originally a british company, sorta similar to hiwatt. (try finding an original hiwatt these days. ripping off judas priest's gear truck(s) might be the easiest way to get one...)

it's prolly a good practice amp. not gonna get the same tube sound, but "the same tube sound" costs a bit more than $50.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Well, it ain't a Marshall stack but I'm no longer in need of that noise maker God. Perhaps it's time for a comeback?

chcr

Too cute for words
Well, it ain't a Marshall stack but I'm no longer in need of that noise maker God. Perhaps it's time for a comeback?

Workin' fer me. :D

Harmony Central is frequently a good place to find info. There's only a review for the Pro Linebacker 65, but there was a link to Laney and to the manual such as it is. PL100R is the model, best as I can figure. Izzat a 2X12 combo amp? How many tubes in the main? 6L6's one assumes? :faptard:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Single 12" (maybe a 10"). Yea, that PL100 looks like the one. Correct manual. That's about the info available. I thought Laney was a bigger draw than that.

chcr

Too cute for words
I'd heard of them but I don't remember ever seeing one. :shrug: I think they're more popular in the UK.

The head version looks a little like Vox head I used to use.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Oh, I missed that part...yep, solid state (still haven't ripped it apaprt to see the guts)

2minkey

bootlicker
if you do ever decide you really wanna rock it, the new line 6 spidervalve is the shit. boo-tique class sound @ $700. and real tubes, of course. line 6 partnered with reinhold bogner, who's a serious tube guru - his amps are thousands.

chcr

Too cute for words
if you do ever decide you really wanna rock it, the new line 6 spidervalve is the shit. boo-tique class sound @ $700. and real tubes, of course. line 6 partnered with reinhold bogner, who's a serious tube guru - his amps are thousands.

Know a guy who plays an American Strat and a Joe Pass Emperor II through a Spider Valve 212 combo. It's shit-hot, no question. The modeling is way cool. I've fooled with it a bit but I think you need a lot of time with it to figure out all the permutations.

2minkey

bootlicker
basically, you have to crank it for the tone to really bloom. that's the only downside at 40 watts. yeah and i guess there are a lot of options to explore with the effects and tone stack in the digital sections.

emperor... yum... i need some kinda jazz box.