Laptop issue

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I still have it. Going to take it apart one of these days and see if the BIOS chip is soldered in.

If it is, anyone need some parts for an HP Pavilion laptop?

I ordered one of those HDD USB things that Luis was mentioning. They backed up the wrong HDD for me. Still need to see if the pictures are still there. Then I'll wipe both and have an extra 200GB storage lying around.

If the BIOS got corrupted, ask them to re-flash it before trying to replace the chip. Most computers these days have a recover from bad flash mode that allows you to re-flash without a full functional BIOS.

Dave

Is that something I can do at home with my limited knowledge or do I need a large lab with a support staff numbering in the hundreds?

Huge - I'll keep you in mind.

Dave

Great...tried to back up everything on my Seagate before plugging the old HDD in via the USB thing.
Damn thing doesn't run on a 64 bit OS...

grrrrr

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Is that something I can do at home with my limited knowledge or do I need a large lab with a support staff numbering in the hundreds?

Huge - I'll keep you in mind.

Is not something trivial, you most likely need someone to do it for you. The instructions to do it are almost vendor/model specific, specially for laptops.

Dave

Bummer.
Then again, this is the perfect opportunity to try and learn it. What more could get screwed up with that machine now....

pc_builder

Google knows everything.

Speaking of which, i was doing a search about reflashing a corrupt bios (because of your problem). Lots of results, so it's promising. :)

Also, Hardware Central knows everything too, computer related that is. lol

Dave

oh yeah...forgot about that site....thanks for the reminder.
Hopefully I'll have some time to work on it this weekend.