Learning to talk...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
It's really incredible watching kids learn how to use language, my first spoke so early (small sentences at 11 mo), and picked it all up very quickly. My second has a condition which makes it exceedingly difficult for him to manipulate language, is still not great, and my third is just a normal kid learning to talk.

Just now he (the third, age 4) comes into the room shrieking,"Dach sitting on my couch, me want to sit dere, me was there, Dach took it, me want the couch for one people!!!" (Zach took the chair is what he was saying) :laugh:

couch for one people, that was pretty good, I thought, lol.

just wanted to share :)

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
Kids can be so much fun :)

I sure hope to have one or two myself one day :)
I just know it's worth all the trouble!

unclehobart

I need to talk to my dad and find out what age I went from baby talk to clean speech.

Les, I have a cousin with a most likely similar speech impediment. He still has busted and mumbled speech at 25. I think he still has it because he never really worked at trying to overcome it.

Janimal

Shadowfax said:
Kids can be so much fun :)

I sure hope to have one or two myself one day :)
I just know it's worth all the trouble!

Yes, they can be wonderful fun. It's an indescribable feeling to watch them learning new things - to see the little wheels turning in their heads.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Riley (V2.0) has Apraxia He learns almost everything he says and does step by step.

These kids can have any of the following, it is usually combined, however, with few being any one in the pure form. He is mainly Verbal Apraxic, with a little of each of the rest for good measure :rolleyes:

Definitions:

Verbal Apraxia – in its purest form, involves difficulty with
planning the sequences necessary to produce verbalizations. It's a
voluntary issue – nothing physically wrong with the mouth or any of
its parts that obstruct it's movement, but a problem somewhere
between the brain sending the message and the mouth (and its
components) receiving it.

Oral Apraxia – in its purest form, involves difficulty planning non
verbal movements of the mouth (i.e. blowing, licking, smiling).
Again, it's a voluntary issue and there is no weakness with the mouth
or its muscles, but with the message getting through from the brain
to execute the movement.

Limb Apraxia – in its purest form, involves difficulty planning
movements of the limbs. Again, no weakness in the limbs, but a
voluntary problem with the message getting through from the brain to
execute the movement.

Global Apraxia – in its purest form, involves difficulty with
planning movements globally in the body. Again, not a result of
weakness of any of the muscles, but with voluntary planning of the
movements.

HomeLAN

So, basically, his brain is moving too fast for his mouth. Keep an eye on that one, he's going to be a pistol.

I figure mine's going to be easy to potty train. He followed me into the bathroom the other day, and it happened to be during "naked time". Well, he saw what I was doing, so he let go, just standing there - right onto my right leg.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
funny thing, i read somewhere that english is one of the most "brain intensive" languages, because the brain thinks in one way and the language demands saying it in another way.

According to the study, italian followed by spanish are the less "brain intensive" languages.

Probably the "problem" with v2 might be solved with age.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
Try to learn Dutch. Believe me. English is a LOT more logical than Dutch. I'd compare English to a walk in the park and Dutch to the BUDS training of the Navy SEALS when it comes to difficulty :)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
LOL, i was talking about the order of the words in a given sentence. (the brain sort words in a way and english demands another way)

Is dutch also like that?

nalani

originally posted by HomeLAN
I figure mine's going to be easy to potty train. He followed me into the bathroom the other day, and it happened to be during "naked time". Well, he saw what I was doing, so he let go, just standing there - right onto my right leg.

:D .. holy cow ... I remember trying to potty train my second son .. he wouldn't go if anyone was in the bathroom with him which made it hard to make sure he "hit the target" :D ... you can imagine how many Clorox wipes I went through back then :D

Janimal

Luis G said:
funny thing, i read somewhere that english is one of the most "brain intensive" languages, because the brain thinks in one way and the language demands saying it in another way.

According to the study, italian followed by spanish are the less "brain intensive" languages.

Probably the "problem" with v2 might be solved with age.

I don't know if word order is "brain intensive" or not - it maybe. I've been working on Japanese for some years now off and on, and it's certainly "brain intensive". :asian:

I do know, English has one of the most extensive vocabularies on the planet. We just love inventing, borrowing and/or stealing words.

Professur

Ever notice that we spend the first two years teaching them to speak, and the next 16 telling them to shut up?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
We agonized over Riley for 4 years, finally dragging him from therapy class to therapy class, worked our butts off to help him, now, he is to the point where strangers usually understand what he's saying, and he never stops talking. The best day was when he got a call home from his teacher about his talking in class. That was beautiful! :D But there are times we almost wonder what we ever taught him for :retard: :laugh:

Ardsgaine

always had suspiciously good verbal skills as a child. He would tell these long, involved stories that were just one long sentence with a hundred clauses joined by "and, and, and... then." About halfway through I'd just want to grab him up, shake him and yell, "BREATHE, DAMMIT!" laugh

greenfreak

I did that too, I always told 'stories'. Now my nephew does it, and I always make sure I listen to all of it and ask him questions about what he's saying. I don't want him to feel like no one listened to him like I did when I was a kid.

AlladinSane

Leslie said:
Limb Apraxia – in its purest form, involves difficulty planning
movements of the limbs. Again, no weakness in the limbs, but a
voluntary problem with the message getting through from the brain to
execute the movement.
I think I had it when a kid, coz my coordination was bad. I had hellish times in sports during basic school...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
It's entirely possible, Alladinsane, a lot of these kids before were simply labelled clumsy and/or slow, depending on which they had. Must've been hard for them, growing up not quite knowing why.

More about funny kids speech, our 8 year old has hit the stage where every thing is a question. Just now he comes up to me and says, "Mom? Yesterday? At my friends house? We walked in poison ivy? We didn't know it was there? His mom didn't see us? Then she got mad?" So in trying not to laugh at that, I have now begun FREAKING OUT, :eek: but that shall be another story if we all end up with it. He truly sounds like that girl, "This one time? At band camp?". We expend a lot of effort trying not to burst out in gales of laughter listening to him. :laugh:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
greenfreak said:
I did that too, I always told 'stories'. Now my nephew does it, and I always make sure I listen to all of it and ask him questions about what he's saying. I don't want him to feel like no one listened to him like I did when I was a kid.

huh *shakes cobwebs from brain* were you speaking? :D