London shaken by explosions

AlladinSane

Multiple explosions rock London
Initial reports say at least two deaths

Thursday, July 7, 2005; Posted: 6:43 a.m. EDT (10:43 GMT)

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Near simultaneous explosions rocked the London Underground network and at least one bus at the morning rush hour, police said, causing fatalities and prompting officials to shut down the entire underground transport network.

In the first report of casualties, City of London police told CNN there had been two fatalities at Aldgate east station.

The explosions came a day after London was awarded the 2012 Olympics and as the G8 summit was getting under way in Scotland. Initial reports blamed a power surge, but officials were not ruling out a terrorist attack.

"There have been a number of dreadful incidents across London today," said Home Secretary Charles Clarke, Britain's top law enforcement officer. He said there were "terrible injuries."

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Ian Blair said London had been hit by at least six blasts and there had been many casualties. He urged Londoners not to panic and said it was too early to say what caused the blasts.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/07/london.tube/index.html

Wasn't able to access BBC or Reuters due to busy servers. If this is not a terrorist attack I may be a chimp...

chcr

Too cute for words
Heard it on the news this morning. At least we can count on England not to cave like the Spaniards did.

MrBishop

The European network for Al-Queida claimed responsibility.

Checking the news networks for more.

MrBishop

Well...for those who care. Oz is online so supposedly OK. No word from Stewey or CB yet.

Uki Chick

From what I heard this morning, there are 20 dead and over 90 injured and it was a terrorist attack.

greenfreak

Oh man. What about ris? Doesn't he (or didn't he) work in London?

As of now, 2 fatalities and over 100 wounded. They're saying 6 to 7 explosions in the tube, one or more bus bombs.

BBC has some good information, I was able to get on the site after a few minutes.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
ris, yep, I believe he both lives and works there. Hopefully he shows. I'll check HWC too for him. :eh:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
from BBC Main Page
UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said it was "reasonably clear" there had been a series of terrorist attacks. He said it was "particularly barbaric" that it was timed to coincide with the G8 summit. He is returning to London.
eh? how is it more barbaric than any other one? :eek6:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Between the G8 & the 2012 games, the Islamo-fascists have decided to show their disapproval. Perhaps, if the anti-war crowd gets their way, they'll talk the murderers into a letter writing campaign instead.

chcr

Too cute for words
Leslie said:
from BBC Main Page eh? how is it more barbaric than any other one? :eek6:

Because it happened to his country this time. ;)

Re the number of deaths, I just heard 40-45 on the live AP feed. I don't know how accurate that is but it supposedly comes from London law enforcement "officials."

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Gonz said:
Between the G8 & the 2012 games, the Islamo-fascists have decided to show their disapproval. Perhaps, if the anti-war crowd gets their way, they'll talk the murderers into a letter writing campaign instead.
I could maybe see clear to a good riot. But yeah.

Uki Chick

'Al-Qaeda' group linked to London blasts

BERLIN (AP) — A group calling itself "Secret Organization — al-Qaeda in Europe" has posted a claim of responsibility for the series of blasts in London, a German magazine reported Thursday.
Der Spiegel magazine reported that the group posted its message on a Web site popular with Islamic militants, which it did not name. It said the group claimed the explosions were in retaliation for Britain's involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Rejoice, Islamic nation. Rejoice, Arab world. The time has come for vengeance against the Zionist crusader government of Britain in response to the massacres Britain committed in Iraq and Afghanistan," read the statement, a photograph of which was displayed on Der Spiegel's Web site.

"The heroic mujahedeen carried out a blessed attack in London, and now Britain is burning with fear and terror, from north to south, east to west," it said.

The statement went on the warn the governments of Denmark and Italy that they would face "the same punishment" if they fail to withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Source

rrfield

SouthernN'Proud said:
Everybody still chomping at the bit to call off the search in the Middle East?

Hopefully the UK won't invade Jordan when those responsible are in Afghanistan.