looking for a video card recommendation <$300

tommyj27

Not really Banned
hey, i'm pretty out of the loop as far as the video card market goes. my buddy is looking to upgrade the video in his vaio. he is currently using the onboard Intel graphics mediaAccelorator 900 224MB. his system has a PCI express slot. anyone have any recommendations for the $200-$300 arena? i'll be honest, i'm too lazy to go read reviews on my own.

MrBishop

What are you planning on using your compi for the most?

Games (which type)?
Photo editing software?
online time?

The Radeons are decent price/performance. X800XL or the Saphire. :)

If it's games you're after... go to the store, pick the hottest game, look at recommended specs and buy at least 1 above that if you can. :)

MrBishop

m'kay. The difference between GD and gaming is the 3D aspect. Unless he's designing the games...he can go with lower 'polygons' or depth of detail in the 3D. The more memory his card has..the better his card will perform with photoshop and illustrator (more photoshop because illustrator works with math, curves and angles more than heavy photos). Fast on MB memory is VERY useful too... he can go cheap on the vid card if he's got decent onboard ram on the MB (and it's cheaper overall). YThe GForce 6600 or anyhting above it will kick ass in Photoshop. DVD playback and some mid-episode vid in games will require a faster CPU (on MOBO) or on the card (Again...it's cheaper to upgrade your processor on teh Mobo than on the vidcard.)

Your friend can save cash by finding vidcards without TV-out, s-video, dual monitor support...it's fringe-toys and not really necessary.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
he said he wants to be able to run dual monitors, as far as the rest of his system, he's got a (Prescott?) 3.0ghz 1MBcache, and he just ordered 2GB of PC3200 last night which will max out his system for memory.

MrBishop

tommyj27 said:
he said he wants to be able to run dual monitors, as far as the rest of his system, he's got a (Prescott?) 3.0ghz 1MBcache, and he just ordered 2GB of PC3200 last night which will max out his system for memory.
With those Mobo specs...he doesn't need anything really fancy as a vid-card. To give you an example. I run PShop on a 1.2ghz with 256+128MB PC100 ram. I have a 16bit 128MB card. More than fast enough. Doesn't do double-monitor though.

The 6600 will run anything on the market (game) right now and is under $200.

Good luck!

Mirlyn

tommyj27 said:
Prefrence of VGA or DVI? 2x?

I have a Matrox P650 (2xDVI) and an Sapphire 9600SE (DVI+VGA). No problems here with games, although I play old stuff (AOEII, etc).

tommyj27

Not really Banned
Mirlyn said:
Prefrence of VGA or DVI? 2x?

I have a Matrox P650 (2xDVI) and an Sapphire 9600SE (DVI+VGA). No problems here with games, although I play old stuff (AOEII, etc).
he already ordered a 6600GT, he wastes no time when dropping tons of cash he doesn't have.

is a Matrox P650 the parahelia that was all the rage a couple years ago?

MrBishop

I dont' have a ton of cash...can he buy me one too? ;)

Currently running a RAGE ATI 128
Won't play City of Heroes :(

Professur

MrBishop said:
I dont' have a ton of cash...can he buy me one too? ;)

Currently running a RAGE ATI 128
Won't play City of Heroes :(

Bureau en Gros in front of place desormeaux. Look at the cards on their liquidation table in back. I'm sure I saw a readon 6500 @ 256M(or summat like that) for about $100.

MrBishop

Professur said:
Bureau en Gros in front of place desormeaux. Look at the cards on their liquidation table in back. I'm sure I saw a readon 6500 @ 256M(or summat like that) for about $100.
Nice! ...shame that I have neither the money nor the time for it :(

MrBishop

Professur said:
:shrug: No time for it? Dude, what are you gonna do when V3.0 lands in your lap?
Same as I do now... not play video games and not watch TV. May have to give up chat-spaces as well. :shrug: I'd rather play with my kid anyway :)

Professur

tommyj27 said:
come on bish, you don't have to lie to us. it's not like we're going to call mrs. bish and tattle, ok prof might.

Not likely. Couldn't remember his number, even if I wanted to.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
he'll like the 6600 gt very much. I have the 6600gt oc, i got in trade from huge. I love this thing. Runs awsome in 64 bt too.

MrBishop

tommyj27 said:
come on bish, you don't have to lie to us. it's not like we're going to call mrs. bish and tattle, ok prof might.
I'm serious though... I plan on playing with him while he's still young, and for as long as possible. They grow up too damn fast and I'd rather get some quality time in before he becomes a teenager and I suddenly become 'an embarrasment' :shrug:

Ain't had cable or sattelite TV in over 8 years now. Currently have no live games loaded (a few backups of saved games just in case I get an urge one day). I'd love to have the time to play..who wouldn't..but it's not a priority.